+ Create Blog
View RSS Feed

Arcade Culture Magazine

01-13-2018 at 09:25 PM
15 Comments
Rate this Entry

Petition: Bring Back Settle It On The Screen


Name:  Settle.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  143.3 KB

I think most of us are still in shock over the surprise cancellation of our beloved Settle It On The Screen. Several people have already shared their feelings, their sense of loss over this wonderful community building show. We feel lost now, cast adrift. Being through surprise layoffs myself, I know what it feels like to have the rug pulled out from under you, but I bet it still doesn't compare to what the SIOTS staff are feeling now. They were not just workers at a job, they were artists and freinds, honoring the gamers and supporting and entertaining us all.

Please post your comments to the following:

YES - Bring back Settle It On The Screen, they are vital to the community
NO - Let them survive on their own or whatever
Likes Tfried4048, Cyriss_Zeal, Bishop liked this post

Comments

  1. Snowflake's Avatar
    While I think it was a mistake to lose the show, I also think we have to vote with our dollars. Until TG fixes its reputation to the outside world its on us to manage the community on our own. There's no money in TG other than what we put towards it.
    Likes EVN, Desidious, HectorTelloc liked this post
  2. Snowflake's Avatar
    FYI here is where you vote with your dollars https://www.patreon.com/settleitonthescreen
    Thanks datagod, Cyriss_Zeal, The Evener thanked this post
    Likes Desidious, HectorTelloc liked this post
  3. Desidious's Avatar
    Yes. Donating $20/month. Doing what I can.
    Thanks Cyriss_Zeal, datagod thanked this post
    Likes HectorTelloc, Cyriss_Zeal liked this post
  4. Snowflake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by homerwannabee
    The show had something like 12 live viewers at most for it's last show. Given the money put into it, is it really worth it?
    what do you base that on george? I'm not gonna claim it has a million viewers or anything like that, but I knew it had to be more than 12, so i went back to that and stopped counting the moment i found 13 unique comments -- and there were way more commenters than that. Possibly some viewers not commenting. I think you might just be guessing viewer numbers.
  5. homerwannabee's Avatar
    Yeah, it seemed like that. I doubt it was over 20 at any given time. Maybe you can attribute that to Games Done Quick, but the reality of the matter is this show doesn't have a super large following to justify the money put into it. Now if this show had averaged 200 live viewers a show than that would be something else.
  6. Max's Avatar
    and the next day when I often watched after the broadcast, when clicked, the video indicated roughly 1,000 views.

    I don't have stats. I'm sure they exist though.

    I appreciate your comment George. You never struck me as the type of person that preferred mainstream media.

    Again, TG has taken the approach they wish to take. Like it or not, for better or for worse, it is what it is.
  7. swaggers's Avatar
    My short answer is a YES to more.

    My long answer is there were a lot of weird choices and things that turned me off about the show.

    The fact it was on Facebook instead of a more established, more stable platform.

    One of the big things I didn't like about the show was how they would skirt around the big questions. Like Todd Rogers, instead of talking about it they just joked and showed clips of his old runs. These are people who live video games and no one would really speak up about how they personally thought about major issues.
  8. Snowflake's Avatar
    Well yes I’m inclined to agree the current viewers aren’t enough to bring in much money. But sometimes you take a loss for potential future growth. Classic gaming is a small community and tg an even smaller subset of that. I think settle it really cornered the niche market. And if you thinks that’s small you’re right but that’s exactly why we need things like settle it to help tg grow.
    Likes datagod, Bishop liked this post
  9. timmell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swaggers
    My short answer is a YES to more.

    My long answer is there were a lot of weird choices and things that turned me off about the show.

    The fact it was on Facebook instead of a more established, more stable platform.

    One of the big things I didn't like about the show was how they would skirt around the big questions. Like Todd Rogers, instead of talking about it they just joked and showed clips of his old runs. These are people who live video games and no one would really speak up about how they personally thought about major issues.

    We never really could take a stance as many people were assume we are the face of TG. Decision makers. So example, with Todd Rogers, we have our opinions about the matter for sure and they are strong. But since we had the platform and position to broadcast to many and bring on the TG FB page. It viewers or new could view our comments as official statements. Even when we did use our disclaimer.

    Not to go into our arrangement, but being Live was a requirement with our agreement to even start this venture. Rather had done it that not at all or ideal.
    Thanks swaggers thanked this post
    Likes Snowflake, Bishop liked this post
  10. timmell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by homerwannabee
    The show had something like 12 live viewers at most for it's last show. Given the money put into it, is it really worth it?

    Yes, agreed. viewership is a key factor in the show not continuing. But most of our viewership on FB was not LIVE. Most views the next morning. Actually most are views are actually are downloads of the show via iTunes.

    Honestly, I loved watching my show when I was not on it for that night. But I never watched it LIVE the few times I didn't host. I would never watch a show like Settle 5 nights a week LIVE, but I would for sure watch the old episodes and catch up when working or driving to work, etc.
    Thanks datagod thanked this post
    Likes Bishop liked this post
  11. timmell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake
    I think settle it really cornered the niche market. And if you thinks that’s small you’re right but that’s exactly why we need things like settle it to help tg grow.

    Bingo! That is the main reason I started the Twin Galaxies Podcast in 2009. TG needed what Walter Day once did for TG. Create excitement, market the gamers and the organization in a positive and way to invite and find more users. I thought that TG would fail without that. IMO, TG would not be here today if it wasn't for Settle/TG podcast, keeping it going until Jace came along and saved the scoreboard.
    Thanks datagod, Rogerpoco thanked this post
    Likes Bishop liked this post
  12. Ninglendo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by homerwannabee
    Yeah, it seemed like that. I doubt it was over 20 at any given time. Maybe you can attribute that to Games Done Quick, but the reality of the matter is this show doesn't have a super large following to justify the money put into it. Now if this show had averaged 200 live viewers a show than that would be something else.
    Thanks Desidious, Cyriss_Zeal thanked this post
  13. Bishop's Avatar
    YES YES YES and lets keep this simple not make it into a feelings match its a petition.
    Likes datagod liked this post
    Updated 01-14-2018 at 06:16 PM by Bishop
  14. MyOwnWorstEnemy's Avatar
    YES!!!!!! A good group of people promoting competitive gaming and the competitors.
    Thanks datagod thanked this post
  15. Marcade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninglendo
    Thats my Ghostbusters score. My very last shoutout on Fridays show.

    I see more views on the SIOTS tally, then 2 months of total views from the YouTube video itself! Heh.
    Likes datagod liked this post
    Updated 01-14-2018 at 08:10 PM by Marcade
Join us