thread

Can anyone get a Million Pts.on MS.PACMAN?

User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
  1. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Dave - Welcom to the board, and thanks for your input. Please reconsider further discussing this issue with Rick. Its fascinating, and the "crossfire" like nature is making sure that everybody states all the facts, and/or theories to their best ability.

I would like for the discussion to continue as I am probably going to report on this on one of my next radio appearances here in Dallas. I don't know much about the inner workings of this game, and feel that I'm learning quite a bit from it! :)
  2. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    BTW, good job jjt for posting a great thread. This one is nearing 100 posts, and I think I will archive it in pdf form for long term reading.
  3. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dwidel
    As far as I know the emulation for mspacman is probably accurate to level 131, where they start to diverge.
    ok, that concession is really all I wanted. Your first couple of posts above you seemed to be stating the emulation has issues beyond just what happens at board #134 and later.

You also admit yourself the arcade game can occasionally allow the player to play to board #141 so I don't see where it's a huge deal that MAME let's you play to board #141 everytime(or seems like it will). I truly think there is a way you can treat the arcade machine(that isn't typically treated that way) where you have it off and maybe even unplugged for a certain amount of time then after it first "boots up" you immediately pop 1 credit and press player 1 start similar to how you do it in MAME. I remember doing that with the arcade machine where most of the time we would get the first board in blue color just like you often get in mame. Maybe that right there influences what happens later on at board #134+. Perhaps doing that would allow the arcade version to reach board #141 most of the time or at least more often.
    I can see there's no point in discussing this further with you, if anyone else would like to discuss Ms Pac or MAME I'll be around occasionally, I've been lurking for quite a while now.

Dave
    Please don't be like that. It was a nice discussion. First I had no idea who you were. Now that I know who you are to a degree I give your comments a lot more credit. I think you were assuming I knew who you were. I had no clue. It would have helped if you id'd yourself some with that first post.

I am satisfied with your comments now cuz you do think the only difference really is that MAME has the slight advantage that you can always play to board #141 where the arcade game(as typically played) doesn't. That's tons different versus your earlier post where you said the blue ghost is messed up some in the emulation also etc. where that would affect the whole gameplay...not just the last 4-8 boards. From playing it I could clearly state the blue ghost behaves in mame exactly as it does in the arcade machine.

I don't think mspacpls is of concern cuz TG doesn't keep any records for it AFAIK anyway...and at regular speed I seriously doubt anyone would be able to play those boards once the monsters no longer turn blue(unless they use invunerability which obviously is illegal for any submissions). Within MAME you still have the score competition regardless if the rom set or emulation is 100% the same as the arcade machine anyway. It's why TG keeps separate scores for the mame records. They aren't grouped in with the arcade records. For many games though you can compare though. I actually think a score of like 500+k in mspac in mame using a keyboard would be an equal accomplishment to the 700+k scores in the arcade version cuz it is so much harder to control with the keyboard versus a true mspac 4-way joystick. :P
  4. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MKM
    Dave - Welcom to the board, and thanks for your input. Please reconsider further discussing this issue with Rick. Its fascinating, and the "crossfire" like nature is making sure that everybody states all the facts, and/or theories to their best ability.

I would like for the discussion to continue as I am probably going to report on this on one of my next radio appearances here in Dallas. I don't know much about the inner workings of this game, and feel that I'm learning quite a bit from it! :)
    Thanks, I'll gladly answer any questions that I know the answers to. I like talking about Pac, but I don't want to bore everyone. BTW, I normally keep a lower profile. I didn't expect anyone I didn't already know to recognize my name, I'm not an actual MAME Dev and am really only interested in MAME as it relates to Pacman.

Dave
  5. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    you aren't boring anyone. This thread was actually likely dead until you posted to it....that got it going again.
  6. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    you aren't boring anyone. This thread was actually likely dead until you posted to it....that got it going again.
    Ok, to clarify some things. When I say older versions have a flawed process for generating ghost movements, I mean any before .53. And I'm not saying any movements are incorrect, I'm only saying since the process is flawed the possibility exists.

I'm also not saying the player can't control what happens at 134, Actually it's the opposite. I know the player can control it to some extent(On a board, not in mame). Whether it's enough to change the results I can't say at this point, I suspect not though.

I haven't tested this yet, but it looks to me like if you set all the dips to 0, including the solderpads, it would play fairly normally up to 141. But that doesn't really help anyone does it :)

Dave
  7. Member Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I'm writing an updated article on this topic for my Twin Galaxies blog; hopefully this weekend.
  8. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,158
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Eternal, check the E_MAIL that I sent to you from the TG site...contains some information for your article.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9