Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Punch-Out!! question

After reading old TG articles on Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr record setting runs, what struck me as interesting was Nintendo's use of a kill screen. My question is whether or not Punchout!! had some sort of end to it, the high score is 15,999,990, which sounds like a maximum score, but i guess this would be the place to ask for sure.

Guest Credibility: 0

Mark Longridge is the Person to Ask !!

Hello ChrisBid:

TG's own Mark Longridge is one of few gamers that can marathon this title. If anyone knows what the answer is, he would. Send him a PM and he will get back to you, unless he responds here directly.

Robert

Credibility: 1,000

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I can marathon Punchout. My personal high is only 6+ million though so I have no idea if it might reach some kill screen.

I am guessing it doesn't though as nothing odd happens at fight #256.

once you reach fight #99 you get a fight #0 but then it properly cycles from 1-99 again etc.

The score turnover at 1 million is the same each time also.

These would indicate there is no kill screen...but you never know. :P

Guest Credibility: 0

Check Mark Spaeth

Rick:

Post a message to Mark Spaeth on the Funspot site...ask him if the field for the level is 3-digits or 2-digits internally. If it's strictly a presentation value to give you something to gauge how you're doing, meaning the level is not intertwined with the gameplay itself.

Robert

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    interesting, thanks for the reply :)

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Re: Punch-Out!! question

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid
    After reading old TG articles on Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr record setting runs, what struck me as interesting was Nintendo's use of a kill screen. My question is whether or not Punchout!! had some sort of end to it, the high score is 15,999,990, which sounds like a maximum score, but i guess this would be the place to ask for sure.
    I have a feeling that after at least 16 hours of gameplay, that is where the holder of that record decided to end it, rather than it being a maximum possible score. It is a "pretty" score to leave on a machine; 999,990 being the highest score that will display before it "turns over".

I've never played much past a million myself. It takes about an hour per million and that is plenty for me. The game doesn't beat me but I just can't sit/stand there any longer. My goal is to be able to marathon Super Punch-Out. I don't understand the general lack of interest in that game and the accompanying low record scores for it (compared to Punch-Out). I much prefer it to Punch-Out. It is faster paced (you can throw punches quicker) and the opponents are more interesting. It is much more difficult too. When I play Punch-Out after playing Super Punch-Out I feel like everything is in slow motion.

VERIFIED Junior Member Credibility: 1,000

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Hi folks,

There's nothing special that happens at fight #256. I scored around 8 million in a bit over 6 hours back in the day. And other players have scored a lot higher. I actually consider it a problem game since it would take so long to try to beat the record. Highest score after 40 fights would probably be a lot better.

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,803

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I verified the two scores for Punch Out and each time he just quit on his own. The first time he sent me the tape but also told me he wanted to break it again at a live event, which you can see that he did. I'm sure he stopped on purpose and never reached a KS so I say there is none.

I imagine there are fewer scores for Super Punch Out simply because the game is rare. You never seen one go up for sale and when it does it's gone over night for a high price.
    Stephen K. Boyer
    Former Twin Galaxies Sr. Referee
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 1,517,380 ( Arcade Medium World Record )
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 788,970 ( Arcade Medium NO POW World Record )
    Mario Bros. Single Player MEDIUM 4,260,210 ( MAME World Record )

Join us