Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    43 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

MARP

Alex,

You have to keep in mind that some people USE or USED slower PC's to record some of these replays. I remember way back when 1942 was first emulated and I played it on a old, I believe, P100. The first time I played the game I busted 1M (this was the first time I ever played the game in my life). I thought to myself, "MAN, this is to damn easy." Well, once I played 1942 on a faster PC it was MUCH harder when it ran at the speed it was suppose to run.

I notice this on a lot of flying games where people get scores in the millions and when I play the game I can't stay alive long enough to get a free man. I mean, something is not right there if you know what I mean. :lol: Lets face it, there was a time when arcade games wanted you to continue over and over and over, 25 or 50 cents a pop. Those were usually the games where there are 50 things flying at you all at the same time. You tell me, how can you stay alive unless the game play is slowed down a bit? At least on MAME that is... :?
    Stephen K. Boyer
    Former Twin Galaxies Sr. Referee
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 1,517,380 ( Arcade Medium World Record )
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 788,970 ( Arcade Medium NO POW World Record )
    Mario Bros. Single Player MEDIUM 4,260,210 ( MAME World Record )
  2. Mario Brothers

What are the actual factory defaults for Mario Brothers? TGTS are Medium, and I noticed that Rick's (permafrostrick) INP at MARP is on these settings, but are these the factory settings? MAME seems to default to Easy, so I'm wondering if that is the factory default, and if so if some of the golden age scores were perhaps done on Easy instead of Medium. I've played both Easy and Medium in MAME and Easy seems to "feel" like what I remember most of the arcade games playing at, but my memory may be failing me.

-George
  3. Mario Brothers

Ok, I double checked and the default factory settings are in fact Easy rather than TGTS of Medium. I'm not sure how much difference this makes at the higher levels (my high is about 300K), but this does make me skeptical of whether older scores were done under TGTS.

I concluded default factory settings are Easy from the following pages:

http://www.arcadedocs.com/vidmanuals/M/marioborspak.pdf
    (Page 27 of the PDF shows the dip switches all in OFF and shows this is 3 men start, 1 extra at 20, and difficulty Easy).

http://www.davesclassicarcade.com/mario/mario.html
    (This page shows the same defaults)

- George
  4. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    gstrain...great point.

if the factory is in fact at "easy", then that's not the same as TGTS today.

I'd guess though that doesn't really affect later phases that much..but only makes the game get harder, faster.

Perhaps the time before the red fireball upgrades itself to the 2nd one etc. is much less at a higher difficulty. Perhaps an additional icicle or 2 on the phases. I'd have to play it at each to tell.

Yes, Mario Bros. is somewhat patterned. Seeing how Perry does the lvels likely wouldn't show most players much.

Odds are all reaching phase 30+ are using the right "patterns" to get through phases. The difference is execution!..and also precisely knowing the spots where you can jump over the horizontal fireballs or have it go over you.

The big key is saving the POWs for the phases that start with a crab and a fighterfly or whatever those things are called(haven't played it almost 2 years now...hehe

For most later phases I would get on top of the POW(which is important reason to keep the POW there) and hit 1 or both of the first 2 animals that come out...then delay just a second or 2 so the fireball comes out at the POW level.....get the 2 you flipped....then hop down to the POW level....perhaps get slipice..dodge icicles, jump up to fake out fireballs....and get 1 of the next 2 at the middle level...and then the other one at the bottom...then you only have another "wave' of a few animals that come out...generally easy to clean it up then.
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,818
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    43 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Mario

I also used to play this game a lot about 4 years ago. I got pretty good at it and was getting close to 500K. The only reason I stopped playing it was I got tired of messing up on just one little thing in the higher levels and then all hell would break lose. And your right, that is when you have to pull out all your tricks and knowledge to finish the level or your game would be over fast. :lol:

I believe this game was programmed by Shigeru Miyamoto who also programmed the whole Donkey Kong series as well. This guy made some of the best classic arcade games ever! Donkey Kong 3 might be a exception though. I don't know what went wrong there. LOL
    Stephen K. Boyer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  6. Senior Member Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

re...

Ripper: Hisa-Chans' 1942 INP was confirmed by the powers that be at MARP. Which means that no slowdown/cheat/blah,blah, was used.

This is the same Hisa-Chan that actually sent some video tapes of games to Steve Krogman, who, for the record, was gobsmacked!

Cheers,

AL
  7. Guest Credibility: 0

Hisa

Hi Alex:

I have in my possession a tape from Hisa with "not for release" instructions that appears to be him doing a number on "Super R-Type" and "Strikers 1945" in which he is really impressing the heck out of me as I watch him virtally playing each game at will without a game death except for a few instances.

He is one of those gamers who keeps his talents closely guarded for sure.

Robert
  8. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,818
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    43 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I was under the impression that the 1942 score was a MAME recording but he must have set the record on a actual arcade machine. Very impressive!
    Stephen K. Boyer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  9. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripper
    Ok, I was under the impression that the 1942 score was a MAME recording but he must have set the record on a actual arcade machine. Very impressive!
    No, it was recorded in mame, uploaded to MARP 2 years ago (approx) deleted after 30 min :) Hisa was not pleased with the score, so he deleted it... that's him.. not much to say about it. I can assure you that it was 100% legal though. It has been tested numerous times with the best checkers out there. Hisa is an amazing player (not only 1942) and he is NOT guarding his tricks. He is very honest and takes his gameplay very serious. The only "bad" thing about him might be his social behaviour, but I don't judge him for that when I'm talking about his performance hehe.

The tapes he sent to Steve Krogman, were just samples of his abilities on shooters. On the oldest TG board (about 4-5 years ago) a lot of guys doublted his abilities. Thats' why he sent Steve those tapes. As a sample of what he can do. Steve was more than stunned I can assure you :)

He also called Steves Galaga wr "nod bad" hehe.

Also, Hisa would have no problems pulling of any of his scores on a real machine. As a matter of fact he owns EVERY board for those games he uploads at MARP. That has always been his policy. Another thing is that he has never claimed any official WR on any game. He just proves that he can beat many of them.

Nothing strange with his 1942 recording btw. He just uses all his men (except his last) to get 50k of the last boss plane on the last but one stage. The amazing part is that he get there on his first man hehe and with all the 20+ men it makes 1 mil+ in the end. Overall, the gameplay is close to flawless. I guess that type of shooter is too easy for him :)

Head over to MARP and check some of his uploads. All of them are more or less amazing to watch :P
  10. Senior Member Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

re...

His 'Truxton' recording still blows me away.

What about some of the other Japanese players scores?

Millions on 'Nemesis' and 'Salamander/Lifeforce'. And there's a great replay of 'R-Type' being made look easy.

And isn't there a great score on 'Crazy Climber'?

Oh...btw, scores at MARP, I Mean.

Theres' a hell of a lot more scores aswell. Ignore these Japanese players at your peril..... :wink:

Cheers,

AL
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast