Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Re: re...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Weir

Theres' a hell of a lot more scores aswell. Ignore these Japanese players at your peril..... :wink:
    On the contrary, I always check out the best scores from everywhere, including Japan. For the games I play, I often do pretty well against Japanese competition, or at least break even...
  2. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,830
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    44 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PERodgers2003 View Post
    Honestly, I found it hard to believe myself when I achieved my 3.4M score...It was one very long zone. The game lasted 3 hours 45 minutes - I scored about 1M / hour. Standard settings - 3 Men, 1 Bonus. While I can't back it up with a video tape or copies of documentation, I can point you to my Guiness Book score of 1.7M in competition, and my 1M+ score at Funspot a few years ago.

There are other players I know of that have scored 1M+, or had the skill to do so:

Spencer Oren 1.2M. Darren Harris also told me that he had rolled it a couple of times, so may have had a 2M+ score. I'm certain that there are others.

Eric Ginner was my top competition at the time. Interestingly, he at the time also challenged my score claiming that the game slowed down and stopped near 1M points. I have never once witnessed this though. I knew of Eric of course, but had not spoken to him. However, we both played MB at the Guiness contest in San Jose - He scored 800K+, and then I played my 1.7M game, and so left no doubt that the game can be rolled.

MB is basically a pattern game. I developed my own patterns however and there are some subtleties to the game that are key to achieving high scores. The real challenge is how you recover and having patience when a pattern is interrrupted and all breaks loose. I often practiced this, letting all the pests out, not using POW, and getting out of jams. POW conservation is also key, as is knowing where you can jump fireballs and run under fighterflies.

-PER
    Lots of good history here in what Perry posted. He mentions some names and even some scores.

It's so good to be able to go back and find a interesting thread that is 10 years old. So much has been discovered about Mario Bros. since this thread was started. And now that Perry's score was topped a few years ago it shows that 3.4 million is very possible, even on MEDIUM. I still wonder why this game was not used on default or EASY and how it eventually became MEDIUM. It's a hard game to take up unless you really enjoy playing it. Believe me, if I didn't love it I would have quit this game a long time ago simply because it can be frustrating. Of course a lot of other games can be frustrating as well. If you really enjoy the game you will continue to play it and get better at it.
    Stephen K. Boyer
    Former Twin Galaxies Sr. Referee
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 1,517,380 ( Arcade Medium World Record )
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 788,970 ( Arcade Medium NO POW World Record )
    Mario Bros. Single Player MEDIUM 4,260,210 ( MAME World Record )
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3