Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

UNDISPUTED Champions?

A line in recent post the other day kind of got me wondering.

(I?m primarily thinking of the classic arcade games, since I?m not overly familiar with many of the other newer formats). I was curious who people think are the undisputed champions or masters of certain games. Titles where when you see them, you can?t imagine anyone beating the WR holder, regardless of who came before them.

Let?s take one of the world?s best all-around classic arcade gamers, Donald Hayes. I?ll take two of his world record games as examples:

Donald has the WR on Joust on both the Arcade & MAME formats?but I wouldn?t say he is the undisputed master (bear with me Donald, you know I wouldn?t diss you :wink: ). Although he has clearly proven himself to be the worlds best on Joust, on any given day, someone like Steve Sanders, a phenomenal player, could possibly usurp the title (but knowing Donald, he would have it back within the next 24-48 hours :lol: ).

However, when it comes to Super Zaxxon, Donald is in a class by himself. No one is taking that title from him anytime soon?or ever. End of story.

Usually, when people have the name of the game associated with them, it?s a good bet that they have made that game their game as well. Fred ?Carnival? Pastore is a perfect example.

I?ll give you my first 2 entries. Interestingly, they are both by one individual:
    They are Robotron & Jr. Pac-Man. Both are dominated by Abdner Ashman. I cannot ever see anyone beating Abdner at either game. Ever.

So here?s what I have so far:
    Abdner Ashman ? Robotron
    Abdner Ashman ? Jr. Pac-Man
    Donald Hayes ? Super Zaxxon
    Fred Pastore ? Carnival

I know there?s more out there, but these were the first that came to my mind.

What does everyone else say?
    Likes JASON STANLEY, noyasystem liked this post
  2. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 44,530

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    These 2 records came to me right away..

Todd Rogers - Gorf

You! - Joust 2. I can't see either of these records falling.

Just thought of another..

David Cruz - Tron. Right now it's a dominant score and if he pushes it further...

And another ..

Perry Rodgers - Mario Bros. This is my all time fav arcade game. When this game was hot, all my money went to it... Don't know what my highest was back then, but it was no where near his!
    ​"cred-jacked" ™ RaGe © 2017 The RaGe Corp. LLC
  3. Guest Credibility: 0

A Few More to Add

Hi Robert:

Just a few more that quickly come to mind...

Commando - Tim Balderamos
    Paperboy - Phil Britt
    Cheyenne - Donn Nauert
    Spy Hunter - Paul Dean
    Champion Baseball - Gus Pappas (perhaps the greatest percentage disparity between 1st and 2nd place in TG arcade records with multiple entries)

Robert
  4. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Re: A Few More to Add

Quote Originally Posted by RMRUCZEK
    Hi Robert:

Just a few more that quickly come to mind...

Commando - Tim Balderamos
    Paperboy - Phil Britt
    Cheyenne - Donn Nauert
    Spy Hunter - Paul Dean
    Champion Baseball - Gus Pappas (perhaps the greatest percentage disparity between 1st and 2nd place in TG arcade records with multiple entries)

Robert
    yes, they all are masters of the game...but clearly separate from all others? I don't think so. Champion baseball. Gus's score is really the only score on the track. Anyone can score 14k. All you have to do is watch one of the new replays at MARP where the gamer did roughly what I described as the infinite leeching technique. After describing what to do within a few days 2 gamers who experimented with it got it down. Watch one of them and you will definitely reconsider.

It takes a few hours of practice to get that timing down once you know what to do..but once you do...off you go...100s of runs...1+ million points. That is all Gus did. I am surprised that is the only one TG has though. Maybe I will set a score in wolfmame for TG. I'd bet with a week of practice I would have a 500+k score. It would easly be topped by destructor or whoever else decided to use the same fairly easy leeching technique though.

We had discussed that a few years ago...but I was busy then and could not precisely describe the method...but then a month ago with a discussion of this game at MARP for game of the week it all flashed back and I posted it.

Spy Hunter....I remember getting way up there. I have not seen a working arcade game of this in 20 years though. In MAME the controls are not as nice as the arcade...but I have barely tried it in mame..maybe will after deca etc. is over.

I was where I had gone through 8 loops of the "course" without losing a car and just stopped after a few hours of play. I felt 8 loops was enough. It was clearly pseudo-patterned on the loops if you make the same choices. It becomes very predictable. I had played the game tons though so to equal that level of play today would mean a couple months of training first.

Paperboy....ok, I will give you that one. :D

Here is one for the list I think all of us, especially Robert will agree with...

The WR for Pandora's Palace!

I think Perry Rodger's 3 million Mario Brothers score is unmatched as well...if played at TGTS settings(the right difficulty..not "factory" which varied). A couple others have hit the 1 million mark...but going to 3+ million with only 4 men total is way up there.

Hmm, the WR for Tutankham(?).

I ams orry I don't know these names...could look them up....but the guy for Satan's Hollow.

Tommi for Tron...although there are many masters here so perhaps hard to call any undisputed for this game.
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,041
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rage
    Perry Rodgers - Mario Bros. This is my all time fav arcade game. When this game was hot, all my money went to it... Don't know what my highest was back then, but it was no where near his!
    I bet Tom Votava will have something to say about that some day.
    Nik Meeks
    Chattanooga, TN
  6. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RaGe
    Todd Rogers - Gorf
    You! - Joust 2. I can't see either of these records falling.
    David Cruz - Tron
    Perry Rodgers - Mario Bros.
    Thanks for the vote, Rage :)
    And the other three...definitely! Todd?s name is synonymous with Gorf, without question. David is absolutely the man on Tron by far.

Quote Originally Posted by RMRUCZEK
    Commando - Tim Balderramos
    Paperboy - Phil Britt
    Cheyenne ? Don Nauert
    Spy Hunter - Paul Dean
    Very good, Robert! Especially Spy Hunter & Cheyenne.

Quote Originally Posted by permafrostrick
    ...clearly separate from all others? I don't think so. Champion baseball. All you have to do is watch one of the new replays at MARP where the gamer did roughly what I described as the infinite leeching technique. Watch one of them and you will definitely reconsider.
    I think I have to agree with Rick here, regardless of score.

Quote Originally Posted by permafrostrick
    Pandora's Palace! (Jon Dworkin)
    Tutankham (Rob Barrett)
    Satan's Hollow (Aaron Samuel)
    I'd also like to add:
    Steve Krogman - Galaga

So, here's what we have so far:
    Abdner Ashman ? Jr. Pac-Man
    Abdner Ashman ? Robotron
    Tim Balderramos - Commando
    Rob Barrett - Tutankham
    Phil Britt - Paperboy
    David Cruz - Tron
    Paul Dean - Spy Hunter
    Jon Dworkin - Pandora's Palace
    Robert Griffin - Joust 2
    Donald Hayes ? Super Zaxxon
    Steve Krogman - Galaga
    Don Nauert - Cheyenne
    Fred Pastore ? Carnival
    Todd Rogers - Gorf
    Perry Rodgers - Mario Brothers
    Aaron Samuel - Satan's Hollow

Everybody agree so far? Any objections?
  7. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,811
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Well, yea......there's one item in particular on the list I don't agree with. You should be able to guess which one.
  8. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dbh
    Well, yea......there's one item in particular on the list I don't agree with. You should be able to guess which one.
    Tron?
  9. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    To everyone reading this, I want to make sure I am clear about the purpose of this thread: it is to recognize supreme accomplishments of certain individuals, challenge others, but most of all to have some fun.

There are gamers out there who know I am in awe of their skills, and hold them in the absolute highest regards and respect.

I can't say I'm the be-all-and-end-all of video game knowledge (that's Mruczek :wink: ), so I can't say all of my nominations or agreements are 100% accurate. Some games or scores I may not know a thing about, and others I may have forgotten, but I agree with in hind-sight.

I'd love to see a variety of answers, as well as some interesting debates.

So, that being said, hopefully I or others will not step on any toes or rough-up any egos. :oops:

Thanks for listening... :)
  10. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    And while I'm still here, I'd like to nominate these 2 entries:

Dwayne Richard - Blaster