Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: retroper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't call 100 million a marathon though since that is likely what...a 6 hour game at most?
    Ah - All I meant was to note that the score is logged in the 'marathon' track in the TG database as opposed to the 'TGTS' track. Whether or not it would truly be considered a marathon is an entire separate topic about the definition of 'marathon' (one which I think has been discussed here before if I recall.)

well, if you want to go into likely unbeatable records, there are many more...but not what I would term undisputed champions.
    Maybe Robert Griffin can help to clarify fruther his definition of 'undisputed champion.' In reading throug his posts, and to Paul's point, I think what he was most after was supreme accomplishments that:

a) require great skill to beat (not just time and endurance)

b) to date, no one has been identified that can beat or come close to the accomplishment. Better yet, there have been some real contenders and the accomplishment has been contested, but there is still a significant gap. That is, there is at least a perception today that the accomplishment would be very difficult to beat.

c) there is sufficient interest amongst the classic gaming community in the game and accomplishment
  2. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    yes, but I interpret undisputed master as showing skill for a game unmatched by anyone else.

this does not necessarily mean the WR score holder even as some lower scores in some marathon cases. It's just where the 1 gamer choose not to play it as long.

However, it does reach a point even in a few marathons where the endurance factor ties in as well.

The above list is a pretty good one. I added Congo Bongo to it. It is the only player to reach 1 million on the game and that was 1.5 million at that.

even if someone were to play qbert for 70 hours to set a new WR I doubt anyone would call that an undisputed champion of the game since so many have done 48 hour type marathons on the game.

that would still be great for endurance...but undisputed champion skill of the game...nah.

I just use that as an obvious example.

you also have to consider how many have challenged for the track etc.

Greg's 5-man tapper score is incredible, but I am not sure enough have tried to set serious scores for this track for that to be termed undisputed champion. He definitely is a champion of the game though just so I don't get misunderstood.

many can marathon tapper. I wonder how well they would do with 5 men.
  3. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PERodgers2003

well, if you want to go into likely unbeatable records, there are many more...but not what I would term undisputed champions.
    Maybe Robert Griffin can help to clarify fruther his definition of 'undisputed champion.' In reading throug his posts, and to Paul's point, I think what he was most after was supreme accomplishments that:

a) require great skill to beat (not just time and endurance)

b) to date, no one has been identified that can beat or come close to the accomplishment. Better yet, there have been some real contenders and the accomplishment has been contested, but there is still a significant gap. That is, there is at least a perception today that the accomplishment would be very difficult to beat.

c) there is sufficient interest amongst the classic gaming community in the game and accomplishment
    Perry, that is precicely what I was aiming at! (by the way, when are you going to get your Mario jumping rear over to my place for a night of gaming? I just got a new 21" monitor that is just dying for some extra action! :wink: )

Anyway, Perry summed up my exact basis for thread in all 3 of his notations. Yes, I would like to shy away from the marathon settings arena, unless that is the specific nature of the game. There is a big difference between endurance and skill, and I know that topic was covered in another thread. Greg Erway's Tapper score is a perfect example. I would be interested to see what the individual who attained the marathon record could accomplish at TG settings. I really don't know the guy so I can't honestly comment on his skills, but I do know that Greg's TGTS Tapper game is pretty astounding.

I also wouldn't call Tim McVeigh's 1 billion Nibbler or David Palmer's TGTS Star Wars undisputed. They are both phenomenal accomplishments, no question about that, but Dwayne Richard can certainly challenge the Nibbler score. Brandon Ericson has proven that the Star Wars record is not out of reach, and I still believe Robert Mruczek could give that record a run for the money if he had the opportunity to sharpen his skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi
    Very few records would be in category unbeatable/never to be beaten. IMO nearly all/all records can be beaten, if you have some talent and plenty o' time, most importantly dedication.
    I agree. But there is also a mindset to the games I am talking about.

There are some WR's out there that the vast majority of people will look at and go:
    "Geez, that's a fantastic score. Great job, So-&-So!"
    There are other WR's out there that the vast majority of people will look at and go:
    "Are you freakin' kidding me? How is that possible?"
    It's those records/individuals I am looking for.

And while I'm at it, I'd like to nominate:
    Martin Bedard - Timber
  4. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Apart from those already mentioned, i think we need to consider the records for Berzerk 'Fast Bullets' - Chris Ayra - i dont think much needs to be said about this sort of mastery for a game that is this hard
    Head On - Chris Ayra - huge score for this title, its not played much, but as far as his score being bested, i dont think there is much chance.
    Targ - Jamie Panagos - MAME, so far and above anything thought possible on this title.

They are my favourites, sure Head On and Targ arent played alot, but they are huge scores that deserve a mention.
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 956
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Griffin
    I also wouldn't call Tim McVeigh's 1 billion Nibbler or David Palmer's TGTS Star Wars undisputed. They are both phenomenal accomplishments, no question about that, but Dwayne Richard can certainly challenge the Nibbler score. Brandon Ericson has proven that the Star Wars record is not out of reach
    David is not beaten, therefore undisputed. Hes record is not something you can do in two weeks...It takes a lot of dedication and skill. Brandon did get quite close, but without Brandon...Not even close, anyone. Brandon's score is something that shows exceptional skill.
    There are some WR's out there that the vast majority of people will look at and go:
    "Geez, that's a fantastic score. Great job, So-&-So!"
    There are other WR's out there that the vast majority of people will look at and go:
    "Are you freakin' kidding me? How is that possible?"
    It's those records/individuals I am looking for.
    Usually that kind of scores are done using some kind of technique. If not, then hats off!
    Terveisin,
    TJT
  6. Guest Credibility: 0

Head On, COngo Bongo and More

Hello everyone:

I do believe that Fred (\"Carnival\") Pastore can give Chris' record a run should he ever be presented with a chance at the arcade classic. He hit 300K+ on \"Crash\" on MAME, after all, and they are virtually identical.

And don't forget...Fred's \"Carnival\" score is also in a class of it's own.

Jason's 1.5M on \"Congo Bongo\". I saw what he did, having verified the tape. His game did come to an end, but he point-pressed in ways that I I never thought were possible. That will be one tough score to take down.

George Strain's 800K on 2nd-life/intentional kill of game score on MAME \"Jungle Hunt\" is another tough one. No way to know for sure how high he could have taken that one. However, it's a Taito game and it might have stopped at 999,900 or so. The only active player with a shot at that one (arcade equivalent) is Shawn Cram.

Dwayne made a run at \"Nibbler\" awhile back within the past 18 months...he came close but his blisters caused an unexpected early conclusion. Dwayne has a shot at that one. So I'd suggest that the Tim McVeigh \"Nibbler\" score is within reach, it's just a matter of when.

But Phil Britt's \"Paperboy\" grand slam score, of all the scores mentioned in this thread, I think this one's definitely going to stand the test of time.

Robert
  7. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I would like to add to this list:

Tom Gibson - Juno First

His score of 78,888,980 eclipses all the other 19 scores combined (49,637,690 if you're wondering).

At a average of about 4 million points per hour (having personally done that once, albeit unverifiable dammit), it should've taken him about 20 hours to do it.
  8. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Head On

I think the list is shaping up nicely, but I still feel there's a few Carnival masters lurking out there somewhere.......

Just curious.... didn't the \"undisputed\" moniker in boxing evolve when there were multiple sanctioning bodies such as the WBO, WBA, etc..????

I apologize in advance for going off topic here, but here goes....

regarding Head On......

1. Crash is similar and the game can be beaten using a single pattern and full throttle the whole time... which I found on MARP, btw.... plus, gameplay is different enough so that I feel they are two distinct games..

2. Head On... possibly there is just one pattern here, but I use a couple of patterns depending on the board and then slightly modify them.... there are only 8 boards and the game recycles....
    3. I cannot fathom how ***exactly*** 305,000 is possible.... hopefully Chris or someone can shed some light on this....

4. My thoughts/opinions above are based on MAME so they are made under the assumption that the actual arcade game plays exactly the same....

5. In any event, I am now sending Robert an inp......

Carnival_Fred
  9. Guest Credibility: 0

INP Received !!

Hi Fred:

Got it and score posted...did not assume you wanted the pattern posted so I only posted the screenshot.

Robert
  10. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Robert/TG,

You have my permission to make public any and all of my submissions to TG.....

Carnival Fred
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Join us