Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

720 Gamers in the House?

720 is probably my all time Favorite arcade games next to Donkey Kong. Donkey Kong for Nostalgic affect, and 720 for downright classic addict-ability. I'm not a skateboarder either, the game just rules.

1st- Any 720 players in here? If I were to do a cabinet, is there anything modern out there for controllers that would have that exact same smooth angled 360 degree motion? Seems like it would be nice for other games like tempest and a few others.
    If not, I do know someone who has a great original.

2nd- Would this game ever make a big competition in the USA? (I think i might know the answer to this one.)

Gamer for Life
  2. Guest Credibility: 0

Only One that I Ever Saw

Hi Donkey_Kong:

Years back in NYC there was only one somewhat decent player that I ever saw play this title...which happens to be at Funspot by the way if you are ever in the Weirs Beach New Hampshire area.

He showed me a trick whereby he was able to launch his skateboarder off a sidewalk or ramp and over a fence thus bolixing up the game's program, causing a program failure. That was also the only time I ever saw a trick on this title.

It's a great game and one that is quite difficult to master using a conventional keyboard if playd on MAME. TG has not received a decent 720 score in years, unfortunately. I wish we had a few new ones.

Robert
  3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 956
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Hi DK,

At earlier MAME versions, pre 85u1, 720 Degrees was controlled with mouse/spinner. It was fairly playable, of course harder than original one because of difficulty to point your skater exactly the right way after a jump. There are some playbackability issues in MAME with this game too, atleast were in older versions.

MAME team, in it's infinite wisdom, changed the controller emulation at 85u1 to match the arcade controller. This sounds good, but there's a catch: 720 joystick has very special operation, it is optical, and it resets skaters position when you move the joystick across down/up. Since there are no commercial joysticks that operate the same way, the hacking of an original joystick would be very hard. I guess someone would have to write a driver for windows to understand the \"reset\"-function of the original joystick, and find a way to get windows communicate with original controller circuit board or moderate existing commercial one.
    I have not heard of anyone that has hacked a 720 joystick to work in a mame cabinet.

If anyone has the knowledge to hack that thing, you should ask here:
    http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

About the trick that Robert mentioned, at which bees won't catch you because they think you are located elsewhere in the playing area...I've gotten 900k+ using that trick. But that doesn't really count. ;) Can not remember my 80's arcade record for the game. At MAME +spinner I have gotten 250k. It's a very very fun game, one of the absolute best games ever made imo. :P
    Shame about that controller issue though.
    Terveisin,
    TJT
  4. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys. The good part is that there are still great 720 machines available out there. Givin' the information here I'm going to look at buying a standup of this game. Not going to risk the thought of never being able to emulate the original controls of the game.

Tommi, glad to hear from a fellow 720 player.

Robert, look for some new scores for 720 once I get my hands on a 720 arcade machine!

720 Records @ TG
    http://www.twingalaxies.com/index.aspx? ... 26&vi=2686

Is Ron's score possible without the jump over the fence trick? Tommi I see your score on here...This was on MAME right? I scored 177K on MAME last night after an overload of energy drinks. I'm playing with the Logitech Attack3 which works pretty good.
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 956
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    My score is from Funspot tournament 2000, at New Hampshire, arcade machine. I was pretty rusty back then and there were loads of other games to play too :)
    Funny thing is that I've gotten little better score at MAME since then, mainly due to better tactics: Buying more equipment, remembering parks better, doing ramp-sliding, going into parks in different order etc.

Yes, the number one score seems a bit too high with normal gameplay.
    Too bad I have no idea what my score was back then, I was pretty good at that game though, learned the game faster and better than others...There were these two brothers always watching behind my back and copying my tactics, never playing when I would be watching, b****s, how unmoral! :lol:
    That 900k+ score kind of ended the competition, which was right for those copycats! LOL
    We had gotten perfect medal score by then.

The rivalry:
    Those guys always watched mine and JST's tactics, but were stingy showing theirs. Once JST fooled them pretending to leave the arcade, and they started playing Paperboy, JST saw almost the whole game and said he learned some clever tactics then. He did also tell me some of their 720 tactics. They were WTR and JPR...at some point I signed my lesser games as WCR and JCP...They of course paid me back signing TCT, what an insult! :)
    Friends, may this be a lesson for sharing your tactics.
    Terveisin,
    TJT
  6. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I have to admit that I'm a complete newbie to this forum and arcade game records in general. Tommi you seem very knowledgable on the 720 subject. Could you somehow protest the seemingly unrealistic high score?
  7. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey_Kong
    I have to admit that I'm a complete newbie to this forum and arcade game records in general. Tommi you seem very knowledgable on the 720 subject. Could you somehow protest the seemingly unrealistic high score?
    You don't have to admit it. Feel free to deny it all you want. :lol:

Sorry, bad joke. I didn't see that the fence jumping tactic is banned. Does it need to be added to the rules or is it allowable?
  8. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    ok
  9. Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Please take no offense Donkey_Kong. I was just feeling silly. I do wonder if anyone knows whether that tactic is banned or not.
  10. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 956
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QBert
    I do wonder if anyone knows whether that tactic is banned or not.
    Of course the trick is banned. Bees can't catch you and you can leech as many points as you want without any danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey_Kong
    Could you somehow protest the seemingly unrealistic high score?
    I believe there's somekind of score challenge system, challenge a score and if the author of the score does not come forward in a year the score will be dropped. Robert knows more about it. Start would be to PM or email the TG arcade scores official. Of course it's more fair to talk it out in public first.
    I believe there was previously some talk about that top score in these forums, maybe you could find the discussion by forum search.

I would be quite certain the 720? top score is not legit or is done with multiple credits atleast(which is not allowed either). TG has cleaned some scores that are not possible. The thing is that from time to time players say "that is not possible"-and will be proven wrong. So scores should not be challenged all too slightly without solid evidence.
    Terveisin,
    TJT
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast