View Channel: mightysquirrel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Intellivision Master View Post
    I researched a little more on Intellivision ROM's on the internet. I found two websites that allow you to download the ROM for a lot of the games ... so I downloaded eight games to test them out. The game-play is identical to my cartridges. I can't tell the difference. That's reassuring to me.

The problem for me is ... there's probably somewhere on the internet where there's cheat versions of the ROM's or .. "will be" cheat versions at any time in the future. Just adding 50 points to a bonus part of a game .. slight changes are very easy to program ... and no-one in the world (except for me and a small hand-full of others) would know the difference.

My opinion is that it's too easy to have a hacked version of a ROM to allow a flash-cart for a WR on TG.

If there was some way to prove the source of the ROM ... and a way to prove that this particular source provides IDENTICAL code to the cartridge; I would be ok with it.

These are just my opinions.
    This is why there is a voting system.

It is pretty obvious to be able to tell, if a score is changed or infinite lives, just by reading the manual.

As long as all of the precautions are performed - start recording before console turn on, prove no game genie codes or save state capabilities are possible, and the rules for each individual game... there's zero difference between a rom running on a console, whether it be a masked rom, an eeprom, or a flash cart.
  2. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,085
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: intellivisionmaster
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel!! View Post
    This is why there is a voting system.

It is pretty obvious to be able to tell, if a score is changed or infinite lives, just by reading the manual.

As long as all of the precautions are performed - start recording before console turn on, prove no game genie codes or save state capabilities are possible, and the rules for each individual game... there's zero difference between a rom running on a console, whether it be a masked rom, an eeprom, or a flash cart.
    I don;t want to beat this to death ... I hear you ... plus looking at the perspective that we're out here for the sheer joy of playing video games, who cares anyway .....

I agree that if a game starts with 100 lives instead of 6 lives; it's easy to see.

But what about if the villian in a game moves 5% slower than on the cart? No-one would notice.

How about a racing game (fastest lap)... remove 0.1 seconds every minute from the clock ... can easily be programmed. No-one would notice. Even if you timed it with a stopwatch, you would assume you started the timer .01 seconds late, and the timing is accurate.

It just scares me.

People may say "why would someone program undetectable changes on a game and spread it around on the internet"?

Well, why do we have to worry about viruses on our computers? We have those in society that enjoy screwing with people.

The day that "scrambled" pay TV came out in the 90's, there was a "de-scrambler" box available on the street. The day they regulated satellite TV signals, there was a satellite chip on the street to get you free TV stations. We all know; those who can program could infest every ROM on the internet within a couple of months with un-noticeable changes to the game.

In my opinion: too dangerous to be allowed.

It's different if there existed a certified milti-cart for which the seller verifies that it contains identical code on every ROM on the cart. That's different.

And I'll make myself clear: I'm not claiming the ROM player is cheating ... I'm claiming the ROM player doesn't know he's cheating.

Just my opinion. I'm feeling alone here... but I guess for example, the Intellivision, I'm the last person on the planet who plays Intellivision exclusively. If 6 billion people don;t care about it anymore, I guess it makes no difference even if a ROM does have a slight change.

My whole life I wanted to enter my scores on a verified database for Intellivision. My dream is coming true. I'm going to enter my scores ... and I guess what anyone else uses doesn't affect me.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7