Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Marathoning Robotron

If I ever decide to try to take down this "insert what I think of this record" Robotron record I'd need to start preparing and have some answers to some serious questions about this game.

#1 question is how to deal with the machine resetting. Almost everyone knows that Robotron will reset on you because of a software bug. I don't care how many times you play the game it will reset on you eventually and it will do this before you can score 50 million points about 99% of the time. I understand that rules for marathoning back in the day weren't really in place at the time this marathon was done. Back then some marathon's were to just mostly keep a game going and not always just for an individual effort. Use as many players as you wanted, use as many quarters as you wanted, use as much drugs as you wanted, if the machine resets just pop in another quarter and add all the scores up at the end. Robotron is the most unstable game for marathoning of any that I'm aware of. Today's rule of 1 quarter and no continues makes Robotron off limits to anyone that would like to seriously marathon Robotron. If your afraid that if you make an exception to Robotron that you will have to make another exception to another game and so on and so on. I don't know of another game that is marathonable that someone would be so afraid of their machine resetting that they would request this special rule. I believe that you would only have to make this rule for Robotron because of known software bug issues making the game reset. This rule would be for a machine software bug causing the reset condition, not a man rollover, power failure, or some other event that causes the game to end. I'm not talking about being allowed to continue 1 time I'm talking about as often as needed, the game might reset up to 10-20 times in a 70-80 hour time frame of playing. I've been playing Robotron
    for over 25 years and talked with many others. The people that I have talked with over the years know that this game is unstable and will reset on you.

I'll take this 1 question at a time. If the continue is a no go then there's no point on continuing with questions that wont matter.
    Last edited by redelf; 04-28-2014 at 07:46 AM. Reason: spelling

Credibility: 1,000

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Re: Marathoning Robotron

I think John makes a great point here.

If an arcade game resets on you once in a blue moon, then so be it. Just retry the score again, no big deal.

But if the arcade game is consistently unstable and resets on the player all the time, then something should be done to accommodate the player for the inconvenience of the malfunctioning machine.

It is not the players fault that a machine resets.

A player can do nothing to stop it from happening.

Senior Member Credibility: 1,000

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by Fellowroot
    A player can do nothing to stop it from happening.
    Or can they? I'm not sure anyone knows.

Did anyone ever figure out exactly why the software causes a reset? ie what to avoid if possible? Is there some sort of commented dissassembly available?

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,806

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    35 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Missile Command resets a lot as well but I believe Bill Carlton figured this out as to why it happens and he uses this in his games when going for a marathon score.

Remember that guy (Don Hodges??) who figures this stuff out like why DK has a kill screen and why Pac Man has a split screen? He would be the man to talk to about Robotron.
    Stephen K. Boyer
    Former Twin Galaxies Sr. Referee
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 1,517,380 ( Arcade Medium World Record )
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 788,970 ( Arcade Medium NO POW World Record )
    Mario Bros. Single Player MEDIUM 4,260,210 ( MAME World Record )

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,117

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Hmm, if I am not mistaken, doesn't Galaga also reset pretty often because of the score?

Maybe Robotron would be a good game to retire the Marathon settings, and just have people compete on the Tournament settings.
    Space Jockey (Atari 2600) 1,321,495 3rd highest score in the world.

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,000

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper
    Missile Command resets a lot as well but I believe Bill Carlton figured this out as to why it happens and he uses this in his games when going for a marathon score.

Remember that guy (Don Hodges??) who figures this stuff out like why DK has a kill screen and why Pac Man has a split screen? He would be the man to talk to about Robotron.
    This is a valid point.

John, there very much WOULD be requests for other "exceptions to the rule" if we made one for any one title. The sheer amount of overanalysis of rules and statements by TGI staff makes my head spin already.

However, information on what and why this takes place should and could be found I suppose. I like Ripper's idea.
    Patrick Scott Patterson - Video Game Advocate

Twitter - @OriginalPSP
    PatrickScottPatterson.com

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 7,407

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

This one exception to the rule would only be for Robotron and no other game. The only reason that it is needed is because of known software issues. There is no other game out there that I'm aware of that has this type of error. You guys have made specific rules for various games before. Can you tell me anything about this game in particular that doesnt warrant some special attention.

Heres a link about the reset bug in Robotron. It's discussed with analysis on code, what people see when the game resets, and other various views on it.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16180&start=100

Guest Credibility: 0

I think the Robotron reset bug should be allowed to be fixed by Don Hodges or someone and that patched ROM used for future marathon attempts. If we are not allowed to use the same rules as the marathoners BIDD (re-start new games and add the scores together like Victor Ali did on his Missile Command marathon) Then TG should at least allow a stable reset-free machine to play on. Thats the least we can do or let the nuskool add scores together like the oldskool did... keep it fair.
    As long as we're on the subject... In my opinion, Bill Carlton is the REAL Missile Command WR holder. 1 quarter/1 game/ no adding up scores schinnannnaaagans)

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 974

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

John, I would love to see you do this. I love the game. good luck!

oh yeah, will it be a 11 hr game? maybe you want to do it at Big Bang with me? of course I will be playing a different game.
    "Have YOU Played Atari Today?!"

Senior Member Credibility: 1,000

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by ZIMMZAMM
    oh yeah, will it be a 11 hr game? maybe you want to do it at Big Bang with me? of course I will be playing a different game.
    11 hours? Bwahahahahaha :mrgreen:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Join us