User Tag List

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anybody play Jr. Pacman at the original speed?

Senior Member Credibility: 1,000

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Re: Does anybody play Jr. Pacman at the original speed?

Quote Originally Posted by ZAZ1
    Since we're talking about normal speed Jr. Pac-Man, my best is just past 80,000 (I'll reach 100,000+ eventually). Dot Mongur, don't give up on the game. When you're on the boards where you have 0 seconds to eat the ghosts, the ghosts have already maxed out their speed, you slow down a little bit (similar to the 9th key on Pac-Man & board 21 on Ms. Pac-Man). I haven't played it since last year....
    I won't give it up. I own mine. I got it in 1986 from a Putt-Putt Golf & Games that was going out of business. They were so hard up for cash they took my opening offer of $350. I did have to replace the monitor in the mid 90's for about $400, installed. The past The last 5 years I didn't play much because the monitor needed work and it wouldn't always come on. When it did come on, it would usually blink off after 3-5 hours. I got it fixed last fall. It needed some sort of part that regulated the monitor. I'm getting alotta mileage out of this old CRT. Next time....I may have to get an LCD?

Anyway, I started playing again regularly and I've gotten better than ever. I had once made 489,000 back in the 90's or early 00's. I wanted to make 500,000 . So, I worked out how to max out my Blue points and how to turn the most dots BIG for that extra 40 points per dot. I exceed 80,000 after the 3rd screen, sometimes I exceed 95,000 . I've come very close a few times to breaking 100,000 on the first 3 screens.

On the 16th & 17th screens the ghosts get much faster than you are. The 16th screen, style of the 4th, is very do-able. There's many long passages and you can get the red one off your butt by stopping against a wall and send him off the wrong way. The 17th screen is the style of the 5th screen. It has all those short passages. There are a few ways to flick the red one off your tail but they're hard to set-up. I get run down by the red one repeatedly....I've never cleared the screen. I've come within 10-20 dots a few times.

I guess I'll have to try some new stuff on 17 and see what I can come up with...???

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 5,167

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: BarraNZ
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

You should get MAME and give that a try. Its a great way to test new things out, with the use of save states.
    Andrew Barrow

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by Dot Mongur
    On the 7th screen I got straight to the top-right box and get it's dots unless that area is swarmed.
    I do that too, except I head to the bottom right, grab the outer loop, then wait out both reversals. Oh, and I agree about board 5 being tough too, although I've managed to clear that one without losing a life...can't say that about board 7 yet ;)

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKongFan
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot Mongur
    On the 7th screen I got straight to the top-right box and get it's dots unless that area is swarmed.
    I do that too, except I head to the bottom right, grab the outer loop, then wait out both reversals. Oh, and I agree about board 5 being tough too, although I've managed to clear that one without losing a life...can't say that about board 7 yet ;)
    Doing the lower right box is about the same....I don't wait out the second reverse on the right. I pull all the ghosts into the corners by sitting in that middle area between the boxes. As the ghosts come in, I pop back to the wall, the ghosts go into the corners. I pop out and move outside the side pocket. I wait for the ghosts to all come rushing out and I try to group them as close as possible. Then I break into the center area of the the left-hand box and pull the ghosts into the corner boxes. I pop out and go for the corner next to the upper box. I keep my pacman pointed into the wall. If all 3 main ghosts are in the corner boxes, I've just locked them in. When the reverse comes, if the yellow one is in the corner, he comes out and circles around you. If he's out circling around you, he'll go into the corner box with the others. This hiding spot works through all reverses. The yellow one moves in or out with each reverse that are roughly 19 minutes apart.

You can lock them up in the same style on the bottom, left box by pointing down. It doesn't work quite as well. Occasionally, the green one will pop out after you. If he does 2 loops around the box, he's staying in. On the bottom is not reverse-proof. The green one will pop out on the reverse and get you if you don't move. The bottom lock-up is fine for a short break or to send the ghosts around the box loop whilst you dash for the right-hand box to grab some of it's dots.

This is what has made the 7th screen so easy for me. I have a safe resting spot. Those left-hand boxes are cake for me. I score all the monsters on the energizers at a very high rate. I get the monsters grouped tight and send them around the box by moving left. I pop into the box and get next to the energizer and as they come across the top of the box, I wait till the last second, and bam, I got 3000 points. This technique is not as effective on the right side boxes. The monsters won't stay in a lock-up over there. The pink or green one always come out after 4-6 loops around the corner. It's easy for me to group the 3 main ghosts and send 'em around a corner and then pop 'em. Getting the yellow one with the other 3 is harder on the right.

I'm so good at the 7th that I use the energizers as quickly as possible for points and avoid eating dots. I save as many dots as I can to get them turned to big dots for extra points. I usually have all the energizers cashed in before the 3rd Beer comes out. I refuse to take it till I have changed most of the dots I want. I turn the left side boxes' dots into big dots. Occasionally I can induce the Beer into the bottom right box, or top one if I didn't take those dots at the start of the screen. It's harder to induce the Beer into the right boxes because there's no firm lock-up on that side. You can hide in that corner just outside the box briefly but either the pink or green one will pop out after you after a few loops.

The lock-ups on the left side are my keys to destroying the 7th screen. The same screen comes up as the 11th and 15th screen. You get 5 blinks on the 11th. On the 15th you're back to 3 blinks. That's a reward for clearing the 14th, style of the 6th screen, that has no Blue time. Having a rest on screens 7, 11, and 15 is a big bonus too.

What's dangerous about the 5th screen is being in the central side areas when the reverse comes unless you're sitting next to an energizer for protection. It's safer to be in the center part of the screen working the ghosts up over their box and back down to the bottom center box. With all those short, little passages on the sides, they'll re-position themselves along vertical lines and make it hard to get back to the center of the screen. I lose more men on the 5th style screen than any other mazes. On no other maze do I routinely use energizers for protection.

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,117

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

I consider Abdner Ashman to be one of the more under rated video gamers of all time. His name hardly ever comes up, but the guy still has the record for Ms. Pac-man, and Jr. Pac-man. I did check youtube, and saw he at least was on the Today show a few years back. So at least he has been in the lime light.
    Space Jockey (Atari 2600) 1,321,495 3rd highest score in the world.

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,000

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Back when I owned the arcade game I could top 250,000 and loved every minute of it. I wonder "What if" I had kept it and kept practicing but I knew nothing of competitive gaming 17 years ago. Mine was original speed. The monitor always needed a cap kit due to the darkness of the screen, but I loved that the map was bigger than the screen. Interesting that the arcade version moved left and right but the Atari 2600 version moved up and down. Probably technical reasons.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill
    Back when I owned the arcade game I could top 250,000....
    That's a purr-dy good score. Did you get to the 16th and 17th screen where the ghosts get faster? What smacked you down?

I broke 400,000, just barely, before I owned my game, when it was still the property of Putt-Putt in the mid-80's. The last Guiness world record for the game before they quit video game records for some while was 343,000 by a guy in Florida. I wanted that record. I felt so deflated when the door was slammed shut on me. When I finally broke 500,000, 507, 740 to be exact, I was so-ooo sure I must be the best or damn near. I'm still shocked that anybody can clear the screen beyond the 17th. Salutations to Abner Ashman. I really wanna know HOW!

I'll be doing mo' Pac research....I played a decent game this week but screwed up on the last few screens and ended at 471,000. I had 2 Pacmen left to play on the the 17th but managed to grab only one of the two Beers I saw before the Red Ghost ran me down, as usual. I'll be trying radical tactics on the 17th from now on.

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,000

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

I could come close to beating the 17th screen, you can't outrun the ghosts in a straight line, but you can go around corners faster. You can start darting through in a zig-zag pattern and start putting distance between you and the ghosts. That was my strategy.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

I could come close to beating the 17th screen, you can't outrun the ghosts in a straight line, but you can go around corners faster. You can start darting through in a zig-zag pattern and start putting distance between you and the ghosts. That was my strategy.
    I've come within 15-25 dots of clearing the 17th many times. I must of made it to the 17th screen with all my men, and I have the Dip Switches set to give the maximum number, 50-100 times over the years. Getting there with just one man lost, several hundreds of times, I've surely done so. I so want to see number 18!

I'm gonna stop playing #17 the way I play that maze's earlier incarnations. Most of my best tricks on the maze involve drawing the ghosts into the bottom box and then exiting another way as they commit. I'm gonna not take out the right bottom side and use that energizer first as I'm so accustomed. I'm gonna clear out the bottom box and any central top dots that I can first and save the sides and energizers for later or desperation! :lol: I foresee desperation!

I've noticed that your only hope is making many, many turns and only going where the dots are already gone when that Red one locks and loads. I'll have to play soon....I've got dots on my mind.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

I played a game to the the 17th screen this week but arrived with only one Pacman left. I tried a strategy of taking the center area first and that didn't seem all so effective. I was run down by the red ghost soon after grabbing the first beer. I should of arrived with 4 Pacmen at the 17th but had severe lapses in concentration on screens 14 and 15, losing 3 Pacmen on screens I'm so good at. I probably would of broken 500,000 again sans those lapses. I finished at 478,000 despite losing 3 beers and at 10,000 worth of big dots along the way.

It's gonna be a rainy week with the remains of tropical storm Lee. I'm gonna try and play another big game this week on a rainy day. I have a new strategy idea about playing #17. At the beginning of the screen I will eyeball the red ghost and attempt to do the inverse of what he does for as long as practicable. I want to keep the maximum distance possible from the red one for as long as possible.

I'm getting very good at screen #16 again. I'm not losing any men on it the last several times I've played it. #17 remains as my albatross.....

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Join us