Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

How to become a referee?

Hi.
    I live in Denmark, and have a small private owned arcade.
    I have held a few arcade meets, where they where some pretty nice score sat on the dedicated machines.
    But in order to get them into Twin Galaxies, youd either have to record or stream them live?...
    All the machines at my place runs original hardware (no mame or bootlegs)
    So in short, is there any way to become a ref (trusted person, representing TG??)

Regards
    Michael
  2. VERIFIED TG Head Custodian Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    54 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Muerto View Post
    Hi.
    I live in Denmark, and have a small private owned arcade.
    I have held a few arcade meets, where they where some pretty nice score sat on the dedicated machines.
    But in order to get them into Twin Galaxies, youd either have to record or stream them live?...
    All the machines at my place runs original hardware (no mame or bootlegs)
    So in short, is there any way to become a ref (trusted person, representing TG??)

Regards
    Michael
    The proper adjudication of scores is at the heart of Twin Galaxies. It is something that the organization takes very seriously and clearly as time marches on it is always prudent to evaluate best practices and make adjustments where necessary.

At the highest level the adjudication process can be described in two distinct parts:

1. The setting of rules and conditions that must be followed for a particular score track/category.
    2. The measurement method used to determine if a performance has met the rules and conditions that were set.

The new era of Twin Galaxies will bring with it numerous alterations of item #2 – the goal being to eliminate any single individual’s subjective viewpoint overly influencing a world record determination.

Historically, Twin Galaxies would use single individuals (referees) to view performances and individually determine the validity of a record attempt. While there are some advantages to this method, there are also several disadvantages – one of the big ones being that as the workload exponentiates, the system of adjudication cannot scale proportionately and overload occurs.

Another problem with the old process of #2 is that individual referees viewing performances tended to do so in secrecy and that invited some player speculation (whether warranted or not) about a score’s validity based on who the referee was. This speculation can lead to credibility concerns.

As Twin Galaxies looks to increase both its scale and credibility worldwide as the official body recognizing player achievement, it is critically important that during the act of MEASUREMENT, as much subjectivity as possible be eliminated from the equation. Measurement and quantification should be as binary as possible when determining world records.

So with all that being said, Twin Galaxies has been working on a system of newer, and more effective methods of the adjudication measurement component. These methods will absolutely provide complete transparency, elevate credibility, allow for the adjudication of all video game titles on all video game platforms and allow supervised, tightly controlled, non-anonymous community participation in the process.

Naturally, building this system is a significant undertaking for Twin Galaxies, and its roll out will be a step by step process. Unfortunately, until this roll out is complete, Twin Galaxies will not be adjudicating new scores into the database. We hope to have this new system in place as quickly as humanly possible, and we will be keeping everyone updated on its progress.
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian and Caretaker
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
  3. VERIFIED VERIFIED Credibility: 958
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I was wondering about that. So am I to assume that acknowledging world records and other scores set at live events (which previously had TG refs present) are now a thing of the past?
  4. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,626
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Marky D, we don't know yet. TG's working on it and we'll know soon I hope
  5. VERIFIED Junior Member Credibility: 1,135
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Would be awesome if you could go to The Shed (Muerto's place) and go for a record (livestream it of course). Would be great news for Denmark! Fingers crossed!
  6. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,294
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: the_shed_arcade
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    @Jace

Thanks for the answer, looking forward to the finished product :)
  7. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by marky d View Post
    Yeah, I was wondering about that. So am I to assume that acknowledging world records and other scores set at live events (which previously had TG refs present) are now a thing of the past?
    I'm guessing live event scores would still be done, however they will likely record them for future screening in case something comes up later challenging the score's integrity.
  8. VERIFIED VERIFIED Credibility: 958
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by the_wizard_666 View Post
    I'm guessing live event scores would still be done, however they will likely record them for future screening in case something comes up later challenging the score's integrity.
    Well, if they are recorded, that eliminates the need for a referee to be present at all since evidently TG will require all scores will be made public in some way for public scrutiny regardless of where they are done. Some live venues are not well suited for recording equipment, particularly arcade events where there may be a lot of foot traffic. I suppose that's where score authenticating entities such as Aurcade which will verify and document live performances of world records and other scores can come into play.
  9. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,391
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by marky d View Post
    Well, if they are recorded, that eliminates the need for a referee to be present at all since evidently TG will require all scores will be made public in some way for public scrutiny regardless of where they are done. Some live venues are not well suited for recording equipment, particularly arcade events where there may be a lot of foot traffic. I suppose that's where score authenticating entities such as Aurcade which will verify and document live performances of world records and other scores can come into play.

Aurcade is a disgrace they take photgraphs man great verification smh
  10. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,066
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Live event scores are certainly good, with or without video. If an official competition is set up and members of the community are there competing then the ability to cheat drops to none. Now some games might be able to be changed in terms of difficulty level in ways subtle enough that I am wrong on this, but many many games work perfectly in live competition. But we would have to be clear on what a "live competition" means. For me, in the game I like (NES Tetris) I would define a live competition as really any time 3 or more of the community are together playing, as we are all trustworthy folks and would not lie for or against each other. I suppose some sub groups work like this while others are too rife with dissention to do that. Other games cant quite work like that. They might not have large enough a community or have competitions. What I would not want is a situation where some fellow can set a score on god knows what difficulty level at a chucky cheese and ask a waiter to vouch for him or her later on, haha.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast