Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Multigames

Hi.
    I have dedicated Q*berts Qubes running Mike Doyles 10 in 1 multi Q*bert.
    How are scores treated in this instance? The game is not emulated, but runs on original hardware....
    Maby a new category?? - as, for instance "Tylz" its not a released game, though, its playable in MAME and have registrated scores..

And for that matter, how about other multi games running original hardware.

Regards
    Michael
    Last edited by Muerto; 05-16-2014 at 09:28 AM.

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,806

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    28 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I certainly can't speak for TG or anything and how they will do things in the future but part of me always thought certain multi boards would eventually have their own category sometime or another in the future. The hardware for these arcade games will only last but for so long before something has to be done. And with such great multi boards for Williams, Taito and even the Q*bert board it's nice to keep things alive as long as the scores are not combined with arcade scores. Once again, this is just my opinion. :-)
    Stephen K. Boyer
    Former Twin Galaxies Sr. Referee
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 1,517,380 ( Arcade Medium World Record )
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 788,970 ( Arcade Medium NO POW World Record )
    Mario Bros. Single Player MEDIUM 4,260,210 ( MAME World Record )
    Likes Muerto liked this post

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,117

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: the_shed_arcade
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think one can see/feel the difference between the real deal and the multi deal :)
    But for avoiding future arguments, its properly best to separate these from the real deal :)

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    28 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Muerto View Post
    I don't think one can see/feel the difference between the real deal and the multi deal :)
    But for avoiding future arguments, its properly best to separate these from the real deal :)
    Maybe not but I do know the extreme masters of certain games will be able to tell the differences.
    Stephen K. Boyer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 12,070

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Stephen is correct, that there are dynamics that vary due to the differing hardware involved.
    But if you get a really good developer like James R for the JROK FPGA boards, or a good MAMEDev, you can get a VERY close rendering.

The question you need to ask yourself is....is the emulation good enough that when I play I'm battling the code of the game as intended. or is the emulation so far off that it doesn't play in the spirit of the game.
    One that comes to mind is Lost Tomb. that game is not very fun in emulation.
    Of interesting note- typically the emulation of a game is harder than the real hardware version.

Long term, the delineations between how you experience the game code will dissipate, as they are already rapidly doing.
    Because the bottom line is. on 95% of the emulated games out there, someone can learn the game to mastery. and then they will perform even better when presented with a real machine such as a live event at one of the arcades if the player is lucky enough to be in the general geographical vicinity.
    Former TG arcade employee (82-84 era)
    http://www.robotron2084guidebook.com/

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    28 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Not to mention that if TG started tracking a multi PCB then what happens if that board is updated again? Accept scores on both boards from then on?
    Stephen K. Boyer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,042

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: mrbumpnjump
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    Not to mention that if TG started tracking a multi PCB then what happens if that board is updated again? Accept scores on both boards from then on?
    And without derailing this topic too much, this is exactly the issue as I see it with WolfMAME .106. There are plenty of people wanting a newer version to be accepted, but a line needs to be drawn somewhere otherwise you'll have records for Arcade, Multiboard's and God only knows how many different versions of MAME.

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 12,070

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Not speaking to TG specifically. The concept of how or what version the emulation platform is becomes moot when the players just enjoy playing. A great example is many top players are part of a MAME group on FB. They have spirited competitions throughout the year, it gathers a lot of fun and interesting competitive interaction... And which version of what platform is not in the criteria, run what yah brung. food for thought...

Going back to the original topic, it can be hard to tell the difference on a platform unless you are intimately familiar with the original hardware version. like side by side.
    I'm told one of the top arcades in the country runs MAME for their Pole Positions and Daphne for their Dragon's Lair. true or not, I bet even the players can't be sure.

With detailed bench testing the JROK multi-Williams board has proven to play Defender spot on with 100% accuracy over millions and millions of CPU cycles when side-by-side with real hardware. Not even an extreme master would be able to tell a difference, because there isn't one. Happy Classic Gaming and a Hurray!
    Former TG arcade employee (82-84 era)
    http://www.robotron2084guidebook.com/

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    28 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I believe a newer version of MAME was never used as it would be a major work load for someone to make it happen. Creating all the new added games and fixing all the changes in the MAME variations simply because they are so different (fixed now). You could just keep MAME 1.06 and then add a newer version of MAME but then you have to create all the versions of games again for the newer version or at least change the rules or should I say update some of them. Some = hundreds! Just so much work. And last but not least I think after MAME 1.06 it became a open source? Meaning people could cheat in it possibly?
    Stephen K. Boyer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Join us