User Tag List

Thread: Can I put a modern power supply in my arcade machines and be legal for world records?

VERIFIED Member Credibility: 1,672

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Question Can I put a modern power supply in my arcade machines and be legal for world records?

Hey Guys,

My name's Grant Thienemann, I go by Disjaukifa on most boards. I have several arcade machines that I want to go for world records on but the power supplies usually have problems. My Berzerk slow bullets is the best example I've now rebuilt it twice since I've owned it and I still have a problem with +5 power fluctuating across all the other PCBs.

Here is my question. There are several adapters out there that will allow you to remove the stock linear power supply unit with a computer ATX power supply the will supply very clean regulated power for +5, -5, and +12. I'm really tempted to put these in my machines, especially some of my rarest machines where if I have a power failure on the power supply I could be looking an expensive repair to fix all the ICs, EPROMS, ram and other chips that were fried when the power supply went bad.

This just happened with my Defender. I just got it, it was working, one of the transistors failed and now I have to rebuild the power supply and replace all 24 dram chips because it pushed 24v to the 12v.

Basically I want to know this, if I replace the power supplies with a more reliable and safe one and still use the original harness, will that be consider Twin Galaxies legal?

*UDPATE*
    There was a little bit on confusing. There are now people that are producing adapter PCBs to convert a computer ATX power supply to the original pinout for various games and manufacturers.

Here is an adapter PCB for Williams games IE Robotron, Blaster, Defender, Stargate, etc:

And here is the one for Berzerk / Frenzy

So these are designed to supply the correct voltage across the PCBs. I was not talking about hacking the original wiring harness to make this work, I wanted a solution where I can the original harness.

Thanks
    Grant
    Last edited by disjaukifa; 08-27-2014 at 10:03 AM.
    Likes JNugent liked this post

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,622

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I doint see why not. So I say yes, it should be cool.

Does anyone have any reasons why it should NOT be allowed? Educate us.

Hec

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,018

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    They should be allowed, the classic games are 35 years old now and are failing at a great rate. Unless someone can show how a switching PS alters game play then by all means allow them. You have to change with the times and this is a change that should be made ASAP.

VERIFIED Member Credibility: 1,087

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I agree that new/old/rebuilt power supply shouldn't matter. The argument could even be made that if an original PS was delivering faulty voltage that could "compromise" a score. I wouldn't be one of those people to make that argument, but an argument could be made for that way too.

jammyyy
    Guest Credibility: 0

ahh what do you mean by Modern power supply? most arcade games use switching power supply`s.. there early games that use crazy setups like pac-man use an AC transformer and the board pcb convert it to DC, and the ones that have a separate boards fed AC voltage off a transformer then delivering it in DC to the PCB itself. then you have Nintendo that use switching power supply as standard equipment from start . Their was a vary heated argument when Donkey Kong was singled out by TG (former owner`s)after its fame and notoriety in "The King of Kong" movie. the rules stated you had to use the exact power supply the game Cab came with. this ridicules using a 30 year old power supply. its old and worn out and can have issues to supply the voltage correctly. A modern power supply by definition of the word modern are not really modern they been around for 40 years. So i cant see why you could not use one on a game your setting a record on, you know its new and it will supply the correct voltages the PCB need`s, that all a power supply is so post to do and has no effect on game play what so ever... Other then the power supply is failing making the game glitching acting up and not working right or work at all witch vary visible to the naked eye would disqualify your game and that happens to all power supply's old and new :)
    Last edited by jammyyy; 08-26-2014 at 07:18 AM.
    Likes JNugent liked this post

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    I doint see why not. So I say yes, it should be cool.

Does anyone have any reasons why it should NOT be allowed? Educate us.

Hec
    Agreed, I want to supply clean power to my games so I don't have to worry about it!

Quote Originally Posted by lippsman View Post
    They should be allowed, the classic games are 35 years old now and are failing at a great rate. Unless someone can show how a switching PS alters game play then by all means allow them. You have to change with the times and this is a change that should be made ASAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash IV View Post
    I agree that new/old/rebuilt power supply shouldn't matter. The argument could even be made that if an original PS was delivering faulty voltage that could "compromise" a score. I wouldn't be one of those people to make that argument, but an argument could be made for that way too.
    Quote Originally Posted by jammyyy View Post
    ahh what do you mean by Modern power supply? most arcade games use switching power supply`s.. there early games that use crazy setups like pac-man use an AC transformer and the board pcb convert it to DC, and the ones that have a separate boards fed AC voltage off a transformer then delivering it in DC to the PCB itself. then you have Nintendo that use switching power supply as standard equipment from start . Their was a vary heated argument when Donkey Kong was singled out by TG (former owner`s)after its fame and notoriety in "The King of Kong" movie. the rules stated you had to use the exact power supply the game Cab came with. this ridicules using a 30 year old power supply. its old and worn out and can have issues to supply the voltage correctly. A modern power supply by definition of the word modern are not really modern they been around for 40 years. So i cant see why you could not use one on a game your setting a record on, you know its new and it will supply the correct voltages the PCB need`s, that all a power supply is so post to do and has no effect on game play what so ever... Other then the power supply is failing making the game glitching acting up and not working right or work at all witch vary visible to the naked eye would disqualify your game and that happens to all power supply's old and new :)
    When I say moderm power supply, I'm talking about a moderm desktop computer power supply. I'm not going to use those power bricks that are used for jamma cabinets, I want a really computer power supply that will provide constant clean power to my games!

-Grant

VERIFIED Junior Member Credibility: 1,000

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by disjaukifa View Post
    Hey Guys,

My name's Grant Thienemann, I go by Disjaukifa on most boards. I have several arcade machines that I want to go for world records on but the power supplies usually have problems. My Berzerk slow bullets is the best example I've now rebuilt it twice since I've owned it and I still have a problem with +5 power fluctuating across all the other PCBs.

Here is my question. There are several adapters out there that will allow you to remove the stock linear power supply unit with a computer ATX power supply the will supply very clean regulated power for +5, -5, and +12. I'm really tempted to put these in my machines, especially some of my rarest machines where if I have a power failure on the power supply I could be looking an expensive repair to fix all the ICs, EPROMS, ram and other chips that were fried when the power supply went bad.

This just happened with my Defender. I just got it, it was working, one of the transistors failed and now I have to rebuild the power supply and replace all 24 dram chips because it pushed 24v to the 12v.

Basically I want to know this, if I replace the power supplies with a more reliable and safe one and still use the original harness, will that be consider Twin Galaxies legal?

Thanks
    Grant
    Hey Grant...long time :)

The issue of using a modern power supply has nothing to do with scores but with whether or not the PCB can take the adaption. It's not true that all games can just have a new power supply put in. In fact, that is a good way to blow a board and mess up a lot of things. For instance, Atari games and most Midway games require further modifications; i.e if using a modern power supply you must build a circuit that goes to a reset-line for the CPU on them. This is often more true than not for many titles, especially ones before 1982.

When using a new power supply on a game that can accept it or be modified to, do yourself a favor and do not cut the original Molex off and hardwire it to the power supply. JUST TRUST ME. You cannot replace this. Buy the opposite Molex (male/female), wired it to the new power supply and plug the original Molex into it. Hope this makes sense.

Just call me if you need more assistance or catch me on FB. Not here. I'm only responding to this post on TG because I saw it was you asking :)

Bad news on the Defender board most likely: Defender has a memory address line (most games do). Chances are when you pumped 24V through it you blew the memory address lines. Cheaper to buy a rebuilt board. Best place to have that board repaired is AMC Solution...or just buy another. It's going to cost you around the same. Don't waste your money on a ram-kit. Not worth it, my friend.

Sorry to hear about the board-fry.
    Last edited by A Former Member; 08-26-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat DeSpira View Post
    Hey Grant...long time :)

The issue of using a modern power supply has nothing to do with scores but with whether or not the PCB can take the adaption. It's not true that all games can just have a new power supply put in. In fact, that is a good way to blow a board and mess up a lot of things. For instance, Atari games and most Midway games require further modifications; i.e if using a modern power supply you must build a circuit that goes to a reset-line for the CPU on them. This is often more true than not for many titles, especially ones before 1982.

When using a new power supply on a game that can accept it or be modified to, do yourself a favor and do not cut the original Molex off and hardwire it to the power supply. JUST TRUST ME. You cannot replace this. Buy the opposite Molex (male/female), wired it to the new power supply and plug the original Molex into it. Hope this makes sense.

Just call me if you need more assistance or catch me on FB. Not here. I'm only responding to this post on TG because I saw it was you asking :)

Bad news on the Defender board most likely: Defender has a memory address line (most games do). Chances are when you pumped 24V through it you blew the memory address lines. Cheaper to buy a rebuilt board. Best place to have that board repaired is AMC Solution...or just buy another. It's going to cost you around the same. Don't waste your money on a ram-kit. Not worth it, my friend.

Sorry to hear about the board-fry.
    Yup thank you for the response, I re-read my original post and I didn't clarify what I was talking about exactly! I would never destroy the original harness, I hate it when I get games where the original harness has been hacked, it makes fixing the game a really PITA at times.

Thanks
    Grant

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,803

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I actually have a updated, modern day PS in my Jungle King and probably need one for my Robotron. Common since says we should be able to use them and one person on here mentioned how a old PS may be faulty and may be putting out different voltages that could affect the game anyway? That does makes since to me.
    Likes disjaukifa liked this post

Join us