Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Question Re: Using new "Tie-Die" ROMs for Robotron Marathoning

As January 30th approaches and I prepare myself for the Live Endurance Event that will feature the new Tie-Die ROMset created by original VidKidz programmer Larry DeMar I wanted to bring up the subject of submitting scores using these new ROMs (since I am building up a nice reservoir of submission points ). The official TG guidelines for submission of Robotron marathon scores do not stipulate which ROMs are to be used (original yellow vs patched blue).

Extra Men Every: 25000 Points
    Turns Per Player: 3
    High Score To Date: Yes
    Difficulty Of Play: 5
    Letters For Highest Score: 3

Since the new Tie-Die ROMs 1) Are based on the accepted patched blue ROMs and 2) Were developed by the original programmer of Robotron (Larry DeMar) and 3) Have Larry's assurance that the new updates (Tracking of score to 99,999,975 & extra men to 255) do not affect gameplay or enemy behavior

Will submissions for adjudication using these new ROMs be approved by the community here at TG?

I plan to both stream and record to PC my gameplay on the 30th (as well as several practice sessions leading up to the event) either way, in hopes that, if not immediately accepted, scores using these ROMs would be accepted somewhere down the line.

So my question to the Verified TG Community is this: Would you vote "No" on an adjudication based on the use of these new ROMs or would you treat them the same as a submission where the previously updated blue ROMs were used.
    Marine Biologist, Arcade Collector, Outdoor Nut, Amateur Chef
    Robotron 2084, Double Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr Cocktail, Pengo
    Robotron High Scores: Difficulty 5 Marathon Score - 54,144,225; Difficulty 10 Marathon Score - 1,189,850; TGTS Score - 470,975; VKE Score - 620,575

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 7,194

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Without a question I would accept any submission on the new rom version as it's from the original developer.
    Thanks Waterborn2O2P thanked for this post
    Likes Waterborn2O2P liked this post

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 12,070

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    John can't vote on anything robotron related unless he participates in the endurance challenge on the 30th, too. :)
    There is room for you, TGL can stream quite a few consecutive streams and so far it is Ken, Dane, David, Gregg & possibly Darrin.

UPDATE- here is the description of this specific event for those that might be wondering what you are talking about.
    ---------
    Robotron: 2084 is revered as one of the top-ten most difficult games ever created for the golden age arcade. Thrown into a claustrophobic arena in which there is no escape, the player is surrounded by futuristic robots who are armed with lethal weapons and ingenious enemy dynamics. The Robotrons simple goal is to eradicate the inferior human race!

Our 8-bit warriors will embark on a 24-hour endurance gauntlet in an attempt to survive this automated onslaught in order to reach 100 million points. At which point the scoring mechanism inside the game will be forced to rollover starting back at 0, and will be considered the equivalent of forcing the machine to cry “uncle.” Humanity will not go down easily, and we have no doubt that our TGL warriors will shine brightly in the spirit of success!

Many have mastered the game of Robotron over the past 33 years, less than a handful have ever reached 100 million on one credit! An elite challenge, our Robo-thoners will have to compete using only one credit per scoring attempt, can earn 5 minutes of break-time for every 1 hour played assuming they have enough lives stored up to not end their game, and are expected to not use any methods of “cheating” to hinder the forward progress of the gameplay.

The full history and parameters for the Robo-Enduro can be found here- http://www.robotron2084guidebook.com...eto100million/
    Last edited by 1500points; 01-15-2015 at 03:54 PM.
    Former TG arcade employee (82-84 era)
    http://www.robotron2084guidebook.com/

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,800

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    No doubt I would vote yes to the new roms with all the information you provided. The fixed blue roms NEED to be used anyway if this title is ever going to go to the higher levels we know it can, score wise. And the Tie-Die programming would certainly be nice to have or at least for the pros at this game.
    Stephen K. Boyer
    Former Twin Galaxies Sr. Referee
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 1,517,380 ( Arcade Medium World Record )
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 788,970 ( Arcade Medium NO POW World Record )
    Mario Bros. Single Player MEDIUM 4,260,210 ( MAME World Record )

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,771

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I would absolutely vote for a score used on the new Tie Die Romset. The track does not list which roms to use. This new romset was a tweak of the existing romset, tweaked by the original programmer to boot. And finally, while not a great Robo player myself, I love the game and am excited to see all the competition in this game lately. I also suspect that most, if not all, of the current top scores were stitched or straight up bogus. I'd love to see some of the current players beat those scores so we can have a clean, legit scoreboard. Right now the scoreboard for Robotron is pretty dubious IMO. Dane, submit your score from this contest, I'm confident the community will do the right thing.
    Likes datagod liked this post

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I currently have 39 submission points built up and intend on buying a new 1-credit verified scoring track for this purpose.

It is important to recognize what you said above though that the original scores were done at a time when it was perfectly legal and in written TG guidelines that cumulative scoring was allowed for marathons. that needs to be respected.
    and the other point to respect is that in 82-84 the scoreboard was growing and validation wasn't really required. some scores in the old scoreboard are legit per the rules at the time. Some probably aren't... BUT it is moot and not in the spirit of robo community to judge what we can't judge. so let it be as history. Walter has repeatedly defined this concept as....it was a naive time. that's what it was. period. and it was a glorious fun time.

this new marathon track is deserving of it's own glorious heritage starting today. it'll be fun and no robots will be harmed in the making of this day....oh wait, yes they will. sorry to any card carrying R.E.T.A members. the Robotrons won't win, today.

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,771

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 1500points View Post
    I currently have 39 submission points built up and intend on buying a new 1-credit verified scoring track for this purpose.

It is important to recognize what you said above though that the original scores were done at a time when it was perfectly legal and in written TG guidelines that cumulative scoring was allowed for marathons. that needs to be respected.
    and the other point to respect is that in 82-84 the scoreboard was growing and validation wasn't really required. some scores in the old scoreboard are legit per the rules at the time. Some probably aren't... BUT it is moot and not in the spirit of robo community to judge what we can't judge. so let it be as history. Walter has repeatedly defined this concept as....it was a naive time. that's what it was. period. and it was a glorious fun time.

this new marathon track is deserving of it's own glorious heritage starting today. it'll be fun and no robots will be harmed in the making of this day....oh wait, yes they will. sorry to any card carrying R.E.T.A members. the Robotrons won't win, today.
    I agree. It wasn't the fault of the gamers that the games were stitched, it was explicitly allowed by the rules themselves. But also as you said, we've evolved beyond that and now the consensus is for single credit scores. I would also be good with a brand new track (maybe the Tie Die roms are the needed catalyst) in order to keep the history of those old scores. Really my concern is about recognition of current high scores that we all know are done with one credit and aren't cheated or typoed (check that number 1 spot). At least two players have legit single credit scores of over 100 million and they deserve recognition. I fully support your idea of a new track and hope that other Robotroners do as well.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    In the absence of prior TG leadership the robo community consolidated mostly at the WDPU FB group and the history of marathoning is documented at the Robotron2084Guidebook. so nothing is lost and at that website the players are allowed their full recognition. there is even a community scoreboard at williamsplayersunite.com

As of Banning I have met Jace in person, been to TGL and I am 100% onboard his vision where ever that leads. I trust the process genuinely.
    So as things grow and settle, I have no fears that the whole spectrum of modern players will get their TG spotlight if they so desire to seek it.
    There are some other tracks like VKE (50k bonus-difficulty 10) which are actually the crowning glories of achievement nowadays. I think you'll see this represented as a cross-section of the player culture in the future here. good stuff is happening under the concept of "electronic sports" by TG.
    Likes timhett liked this post

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,108

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Mark, couldn't agree with you more! Leave the old scores (maybe minus the #1 as it is either a "typo" or simply impossible) and let's begin a new with the verified one credit score. I too would like to see a VKE track started as well. Building up my submission points for those very reasons. Now on to play some Robotron for 24 hours!
    Marine Biologist, Arcade Collector, Outdoor Nut, Amateur Chef
    Robotron 2084, Double Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr Cocktail, Pengo
    Robotron High Scores: Difficulty 5 Marathon Score - 54,144,225; Difficulty 10 Marathon Score - 1,189,850; TGTS Score - 470,975; VKE Score - 620,575
    Likes timhett, 1500points liked this post

Join us