View Channel: barthax
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    48 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pat33999 View Post
    Before you say "typo", perhaps you should look at the scoreboard in question. You can't seriously think that 6/8 scores, most of which were verified on the same day, are mere typos.

Attachment 2163
    Be careful of any group of records with the same date for two reasons:

1) Competition entries were typically all grouped as the last day of competition within the database. This could have been a day/week/months-long competition which ended on that day.
    2) Data errors in the database have happened in the past. For example, there are some genuine scores logged as dates before the game was released due to these errors (though not this case). Most of the date-based data errors have the same date.

Are you on my radar?
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
  2. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,568
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    As for multiple scores with the same dates, sometimes there are special reasons, such as the import of the MAME database from Mark Longridge's cubeman website. So without knowing which variations were part of a mass-upload from yesteryear or from a special event, best to never assume the worst.
  3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,994
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: spectredk
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    64 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I've heard a couple of Paperboy players talk about the 1million+ grand slam score being impossible
    http://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=26

looking at the best score in the DB right now, it sums up to less than 700k, so 1 million seems far fetched
    [Twitch: spectredk],[Youtube: spring79],[Twitter: @Sp3c7r3DK]
    aka Jacob Spring and Twin Galaxies Arcade World Record holder on Metal Slug Supervehicle-001
  4. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 5,644
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: BarraNZ
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre View Post
    I've heard a couple of Paperboy players talk about the 1million+ grand slam score being impossible
    http://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=26

looking at the best score in the DB right now, it sums up to less than 700k, so 1 million seems far fetched
    I actually did this less than 24 hours ago. Funny coincidence

From a range of websites, arcade and MAME included (any revision), this is the highest for easy + medium + hard scores I could find

185 645 + 256 012 + 395,989 = 837,646
    Some 298,789 below the 1,136,435 by Phil Britt in 1986

It is very possible that Britt used the tricks that are now banned and/or used more lives but without any proof I think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    In addition I might add its also plausible that Phil combined his best score for each "way" done over the course of a year (respecting the fact that Paperboy didn't come out until 1985)

Nonetheless it is a very interesting case.
    Last edited by Barra; 03-17-2015 at 02:53 AM.
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,365
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: andrewg1990
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    63 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Barra View Post
    I actually did this less than 24 hours ago. Funny coincidence

From a range of websites, arcade and MAME included (any revision), this is the highest for easy + medium + hard scores I could find

185 645 + 256 012 + 395,989 = 837,646
    Some 298,789 below the 1,136,435 by Phil Britt in 1986

It is very possible that Britt used the tricks that are now banned and/or used more lives but without any proof I think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    In addition I might add its also plausible that Phil combined his best score for each "way" done over the course of a year (respecting the fact that Paperboy didn't come out until 1985)

Nonetheless it is a very interesting case.
    As the ruleset was obviously laid out after 2002 (reading the rules on TG), it seems very likely that Phil Britt could have used any means to get that score. That being said, I don't think the 1st place score should even be tracked alongside the 2nd place score. It seems apparent the 1st place score was not done under the same ruleset.
    I like to destroy games... especially the ones with Mario in them.
  6. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,365
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    63 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    That score is on the verge of actually being true. There's some people over at rolling-start.com that are really fast in this game and their best recorded time is 37.681. 0.732 time difference could be possible. I could ask around for expert opinion on if a sub 37 second laptime could be possible.
    I think I figured out this situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUayxFpsTPY

So Ridge Racer Turbo was likely used for this record. It has the exact same track as the original, but you can use an updated version and a new car that is unavailable in the original. A sub 37 time IS still impressive so it seems, but it's not some ridiculous 15 second lead...

There's really no other viable explanation for this one. A remake of the game must have been used.
    Last edited by andrewg; 03-17-2015 at 11:03 AM.
    Thanks fredb999 thanked this post
    Likes fredb999 liked this post
  7. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,365
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    63 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kombat King View Post
    Good question. Yes, the score is reasonable within Karate Champ PvP because of the overwhelming similarities between PvP and the original game. The scoring system is nearly identical between the two.

It's likely that this score was indented to be logged within a track bearing the PvP name, although I have no way of proving that portion of my observation.
    Judging solely by the date achieved and all, and considering only these two games existed for the Karate Champ series, I'm going to say this is the case.
  8. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 11,761
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    RTM REPLY - sometimes an error is just that...an error. Pre-2000, I caught that the then-WR in the TG database on "Star Wars" (marathon) was 6 BILLION points. Considering that I took 49-1/2 hours to put up 300 million, needless to say I felt that score was impossible. Sure enough when I called Walter...typo.

So before everyone jumps on the bandwagon about impossible point-based or even time-based scores based on digits, consider that possibility.
    exactly, i have tried to point that out repeatedly about typos being common with the group of folks typing info back in the arcade days.
    nothing malicious or scrupulous was intended in much of the typos that occurred.
    and I have also clarified that Walter is STILL a 2 finger lightning fast typing, rarely a sentence goes by that doesn't have an error for auto-correct.

In the old scoreboard there are lots of mis-typed names, which wasn't obvious until Facebook came along and you learn how folks really spell their name.
    Cities are another common typo in the old documentation.
    Are you inspired to find the joy in gaming?

TG employee (82-84)
    robotron2084guidebook.com/
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  9. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,994
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: spectredk
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    64 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Ridge Racer Turbo was a re-release of the original game that came on a bonus disc with R4 Ridge Racer Type-4. There's significantly differences between original Ridge Racer and Ridge Racer Turbo. The White Angel car, which first appeared in Ridge Racer Revolution, is not available in the original Ridge Racer. Ridge Racer Turbo also only have 1 opponent car while the original had a whole field of cars. Time Attack was probably used so that wouldn't matter anyway. But lastly the Turbo in the name refers to the game running at a smooth 60fps making the game easier to control compared to the original that ran at 30fps.

A sub 37 time is quite the achievement, but it was most likely set on the wrong version?
    [Twitch: spectredk],[Youtube: spring79],[Twitter: @Sp3c7r3DK]
    aka Jacob Spring and Twin Galaxies Arcade World Record holder on Metal Slug Supervehicle-001
  10. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,365
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    63 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Ridge Racer Turbo was a re-release of the original game that came on a bonus disc with R4 Ridge Racer Type-4. There's significantly differences between original Ridge Racer and Ridge Racer Turbo. The White Angel car, which first appeared in Ridge Racer Revolution, is not available in the original Ridge Racer. Ridge Racer Turbo also only have 1 opponent car while the original had a whole field of cars. Time Attack was probably used so that wouldn't matter anyway. But lastly the Turbo in the name refers to the game running at a smooth 60fps making the game easier to control compared to the original that ran at 30fps.

A sub 37 time is quite the achievement, but it was most likely set on the wrong version?
    My guess is that it was assumed to be valid, but is clearly not. If the Ridge Racer remake was in fact identical, and the only difference was the extra car, an argument could possibly be made. I don't think there's anything more to this. I mean, even with Ridge Racer turbo people still aren't getting sub 37 times, so I really doubt that there's some super secret technique that all the players have missed (unless that technique is using an invalid game for the record....)
Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast
Join us