Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Arcade Titles with Scores that Increment AFTER Game Over

I just found out this past week at ACAM that "Death Race" adds points to your final scores (after game over) based on the "gremlins" running into the final positions of player cars on the playfield after the game ended. That explained the team score of 51 spotted at ACAM (13-vs-33) which would have been a new world record.

I can only think of "Astro Fighter" as another arcade title with this feature after the game ends...the score increases based on comets shot during the subsequent demo screens, thus explaining a 60-65K score that Fred Pastore spotted at ACAM several years back when we were heavily playing this title.

Does anyone know of other arcade titles where the score can increase after game death due to subsequent demo screens ?
  2. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,933
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    48 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I can confirm what RTM is saying as it was Rob Ross and myself that noticed this first on Death Race.

It is for that reason that I believe under no circumstances should a record for Death Race that is *only* a screenshot be allowed to be approved on TG directly.

While I would take the word of witnesses into account, a video of gameplay should be require for any titles that exhibit this kind of behavior.

Specifically, the instance RTM mentions above happened when Rob Ross and I had logged a game of Death Race 2 player bright and early on morning this past week and having gone back in the evening to notice the score being absurdly high, we suspected something might be up.

After logging a few more games, we noticed the same thing happen when after some discussion pending a game ending, a "gremlin" walked into a car post-game and the score counter ticked up another point.

While I don't think anyone would directly attempt to profit from this kind of thing occurring, it still bears noting that this does occur and as such complete video evidence of runs is necessary on this title and I imagine more as per RTM.
  3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,009
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Astro Fighter. I noticed this at Richie Knucklez Arcade a few years back. The end of game score increases when comets are shot.
    Name:  game over.png
Views: 54
Size:  3.0 KBName:  attract mode after game over.png
Views: 53
Size:  2.9 KB
    Sam Miller
    ZAZ (CAG)/ZAZ1 (TG)/Zaz_cag (justin.tv)
  4. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,214
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    When titles like this are in a live competition, it is incumbent upon the player to flag down the referee immediately lest the score change.

Also shows that even at a non-event, simply calling over the referee (whether an "Aurcade" or "TG" ref) to see the final score may no longer be good enough unlike a title such as "Pacman" for example where the last active score is still in the one player score position (unless someone rudely and inconsiderately pops in their coin before you can flag down a ref/witness...or far worse, claims the score as if it were their own).

There are also (unrelated topic) games where the score disappears in seconds if you are not there to see it fast enough, usually if the score is insufficient to set a new leaderboard record at that moment in time for the title. I think "Final Lap" may be one title that behaves like this.
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,898
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Cosmic Chasm mystery bonus

Cosmic Chasm, at least the emulated version, adds 100-450 points to your score after you lose your last ship @ "game over" for reasons unknown. Sometimes you get no extra points. The "mystery bonus" shows in your updated score when you enter your initials (different score than the screen you died on...or not sometimes).

+100 points (difficulty easy)
    http://www.twingalaxies.com/showthre...t=cosmic+chasm
    Name:  Small JRKcchasm546250TG pic 4.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  44.0 KBName:  Small JRKcchasm546250TG pic 5.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  35.9 KB

+150 points (difficulty easy)
    http://www.twingalaxies.com/showthre...t=cosmic+chasm
    Name:  Small jrkcosmicchasmpic5.jpg
Size:  41.6 KBName:  Small jrkcosmicchasmpic6.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  30.8 KB

+400 points (difficulty hard)
    http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/8/f/f/...50_wolf152.zip
    Name:  Small jrkcosmicchasmHARDpic1 score 281150gameover.jpg
Size:  43.1 KBName:  Small jrkcosmicchasmHARDpic2 score 281550high score screen = 400 point bonus on hard.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  30.4 KB

+0 points (difficulty easy)
    http://replay.marpirc.net/inp/8/0/d/...00_wolf152.zip
    Name:  Small jrkcosmicchasmHARDpic1 score 278800gameover.jpg
Size:  43.6 KBName:  Small jrkcosmicchasmHARDpic2 score 278800gameover.jpg
Size:  30.3 KB

I should really go back and figure out why it does this someday.
    Last edited by jerky; 12-13-2015 at 10:57 AM.