User Tag List

Thread: Are there any videos of high scoring Tempest games?

VERIFIED Junior Member Credibility: 1,003

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Are there any videos of high scoring Tempest games?

I've never seen a video of anyone ever playing "indefinitely" on Tempest, by which I mean more than a handful of levels past 99, though clearly the scores indicate it's been done.

There's nothing on Youtube (one person makes it to level 91 or so). I haven't played in years, but I'm back to where I can get to or past 99 on a good day, but not indefinitely yet.

At one time I held the Atari official high score, but the machine was set to 10K bonus which made it more of a bathroom endurance test than anything! I'd like to take a shot at the TG scores, but don't want to be chasing ghosts (plus you never know I might learn a great secret of Laszlo or similar!).

Is there anything out there?

Thanks,
    Dave

VERIFIED Junior Member Credibility: 1,003

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    A video of the current "starting from Level 9" score apparently exists, so TG would have it. I don't suppose they're posting these anywhere are they? It wouldn't be more than about 45 minutes.

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,126

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    32 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have any video but I've seen Laszlo play live and it was one of the greatest classic arcade performances I can recall.

VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,083

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    The Laszo WR video was last in the possession of TG's former worldwide MAME editor, Mark Longridge. He ALSO had the tape of Fred Pastore's "Carnival" WR. Not sure if he still has these as those performances are well worth watching, having seen both myself many years back !!

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,806

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    34 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    The Laszo WR video was last in the possession of TG's former worldwide MAME editor, Mark Longridge. He ALSO had the tape of Fred Pastore's "Carnival" WR. Not sure if he still has these as those performances are well worth watching, having seen both myself many years back !!

I remember, before being a TG referee and even while being a referee, there would be an amazing score submitted on certain games that I wish I could have seen. Some were performed live and there was no video and some were sent to other referees and I just never seen them. However, it always left me with this feeling of wanting to read more about the score or it had me Googling like crazy to try to find some kind of video footage of it. I have to admit it was actually cool in it's own way and people seemed to talk more about those scores than they do now, since they can see them on Youtube or Twitch. I guess both ways are cool but the NOT KNOWING part is totally gone now.
    Stephen K. Boyer
    Former Twin Galaxies Sr. Referee
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 1,517,380 ( Arcade Medium World Record )
    Mario Bros. 2-Player Team: 788,970 ( Arcade Medium NO POW World Record )
    Mario Bros. Single Player MEDIUM 4,260,210 ( MAME World Record )

Senior Member Credibility: 1,000

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    hey dave,

you can see some gameplay on this dvd from cag:
    http://www.classicarcadegaming.com/tos/DVDs/

5. How to Win at... DVD. Wow - three titles covered on one disk ! First, California Extreme co-organizer Jonathan Koolpe shows off his skills on multiple games each of Bubbles, andTempest (including the high levels !).

As far as Tempest goes, Jonathan has games starting at level 1, 16, 47, 65, and 81. Other than the level 81 game, the others are just segments that don't show him playing to the last man. But, for level 81, he does play to the end, making 999,113 points, and finishing on level 90.

-----
    ben falls posted a video on the old justin.tv (which may be on twitch)

gameplay from Lazlo that Dwayne streamed awhile back.

description of it from lazlo:
    I thought that game was lost to the ages. I apologize to everyone for the sideways presentation. When I taped it I wanted to maximize the VHS resolution since Tempest has really small features in the center of the tube. Seeing this tape again really brings back the memories of 2002 and Funspot of the same year. It was a magical time.

In the autum after that Funspot I decided to take out the Hector C. Vazquez all-time high score of 1,728,329. Since I wasn't sure what level that score had started on (9, 81 or somehwere in between) I decided to play it safe and start on level 9. (At that time the TG scoreboard only had two categories, the Marathon with unspecified starting wave and the tournament settings in which I set the record at Funspot on the Crams' backup machine since Funspot's was down.) In the webcast game I petered out around level 160 and didn't take the all-time high score but I was satisfied with a 2nd place entry until I could circle back to it so I sent it off to TG

------------------
    i used a 'practice' mode, with continues and savestates on the xbox 360 and pc:

anyways here's all 4 videos , showing off all the levels:
    =====================================
    levels 9-34 : [part 1/4]

-------------

level 35-58: [part 2/4]
    ------------

levels 65-78 : [part 3/4]
    ------------

levels 79-99 : [part 4/4]
    -------------

i used the music from tempest 2000 (atari jaguar version)

enjoy ...

later

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,213

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    It's strange how Leo Daniels was shown with a Tempest score of 3,086,000 in the famous Jan 1983 Life magazine photo/article, but his score isn't in the TG database. Does anybody know why Leo's score isn't listed? 3M+ is just amazing! Has anybody seen Leo play Tempest live?

I know Leo is still in touch with some members of the high score community, and I know Leo's made some instructional youtube videos of pinball play in the past, so maybe someone can get Leo to share some of his incredibly high level Tempest gameplay? That would be awesome!

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,126

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    32 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by gstrain View Post
    It's strange how Leo Daniels was shown with a Tempest score of 3,086,000 in the famous Jan 1983 Life magazine photo/article, but his score isn't in the TG database. Does anybody know why Leo's score isn't listed? 3M+ is just amazing! Has anybody seen Leo play Tempest live?

I know Leo is still in touch with some members of the high score community, and I know Leo's made some instructional youtube videos of pinball play in the past, so maybe someone can get Leo to share some of his incredibly high level Tempest gameplay? That would be awesome!
    Maybe reach out to Allen Staal (MuscleandFitness). I think he's good friends with Leo and might be able to get in touch with him to share out some Tempest strategies.
    Currently Playing: Front Page Sports baseball '98 (PC) (with custom built 2017 rosters)

VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,213

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't been able to get directly in contact with Leo yet, but I did find a fascinating article by Video Game Advocate Patrick Scott Patterson published on examiner.com. The article reinforces that the Tempest score was "NOT bogus" but did involve some sort of bug exploit. While the article doesn't give any details on the bug exploit, there are no special rules on the TG scoreboard for Tempest regarding a bug exploit, so it still isn't clear why his score isn't listed. That said, it would be disappointing to hear that Leo got into Life magazine if his Tempest score was just some sort of low-skill trick like disabling enemy fire on Galaga or using a side-feed trap on Centipede to hunt spiders all day.

Patrick Scott Patterson, a TG Division Manager when he wrote the article in 2010, also reports that Leo submitted a Donkey Kong score of 912,000 by Terry Batson back in the day! This means Billy Mitchell's famous score from 1982 of 874,300, which was immortalized in the movie King of Kong, was not the world record all those years and that Tim Sczerby never held the Donkey Kong world record at all! This is amazing news that I'm shocked hasn't been more widely reported and investigated by the Donkey Kong community. Does anybody know more about Terry Batson, the original, but apparently forgotten, King of Kong? Did he ever improve on his score of 912K that Leo submitted?

Here’s a link to the article: http://www.examiner.com/article/inte...or-leo-daniels

VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,083

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Years back when I verified Laszlo's initial submission, he started from wave 9 unlike how many players with TG records up to that point started from wave 81. Had he started from 81 he would have easily had a new record.

Additionally, Laszlo mentioned that HIS mentor at the title was an even better player having scored around 3M point, so I know that the 3M barrier is do-able...I just never found out from Laszlo who his mentor was, unfortunately.

Join us