thread

PC - Metal Slug - Points - Single Player

User Tag List

Donate and help activate this track:

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
    You have no permission to vote this track.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. VERIFIED Junior Member Credibility: 1,030
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

PC - Metal Slug - Points - Single Player

PlatformPC
    Game NameMetal Slug
    DescriptionPoints - Single Player
    Score TypePoints Int
    RulesThis is the Steam version of the first Metal Slug. With the settings being sparing, there is no way to make the track exactly like the arcade tracks

Here are the settings:
    5 Credits
    Medium Difficulty
    Single Player
  2. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,202
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: spectredk
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    64 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Joshua, great to see interest in more games being added for the PC platform and would gladly have donated points towards this but there's some problems.
    5 credits? Are you out of your mind? High Score runs are usually 1 credit or no continues. I think this is even stated as rules for the arcade version: Continue = "OFF/Without"
    And the PC version is also available on Humble Bundle and as a physical release on the compilation called Metal Slug Collection PC. So saying Steam only is not optimal.
    [Twitch: spectredk],[Youtube: spring79],[Twitter: @Sp3c7r3DK]
    aka Jacob Spring and Twin Galaxies Arcade World Record holder on Metal Slug Supervehicle-001
    Likes Barthax, Cthulhu liked this post
  3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,803
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: d3scride
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Josh,

Just a small critique, but there is really no need to have the following in the rule set:

"

This is the Steam version of the first Metal Slug. With the settings being sparing, there is no way to make the track exactly like the arcade tracks

"

I would be happy to donate points to a new track that is cleaned up a bit better. Although as spectre eluded to, it's pretty standard for tracks that require credits to use the minimum amount of credits possible (sometimes some games require 4 credits to actually start the game (NBA JAM for example), and continues disallowed). That being said, it is your track and you are entitled to create it how you see fit.
    Craig Rout Gallant

Current verified TG WRs: 58

My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/CraigARG
    MAME World Records channel: http://www.youtube.com/MAMEWorldRecords
  4. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 7,863
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: snowflaketg
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    33 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I'm also curious about the number 5. This is not a criticism, but an actual question. Is there something special about that number?
  5. VERIFIED Junior Member Credibility: 1,030
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    I'm also curious about the number 5. This is not a criticism, but an actual question. Is there something special about that number?
    Well, that is the limit of the least amount of credits that the game allows you to use. If it could be lower, I would have set it to be so.

As to spectre's concern,

I was aware of the Humble Bundle release, especially the recent one the 25th Anniversary edition that was released in early December, which is just the ROM of the game wrapped up in a custom emulator. However, as not everyone can acquire the 25th Anniversary copy of the game at any time, Steam is optimal. In additition, I was not aware of the physical release.
  6. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 7,863
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: snowflaketg
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    33 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    a good, so its not arbitrary.

consdier this, arcades allow you to pump in infinite quarters, yet we have no problem limiting people to only one. So really, limiting people to one credit on steam is just as reasonable.

your way is interesting too though. it also helps people who dont do as thorough a job adjudicating. normally you have to watch the whole video to catch a continue, with this hte settings force the rule to be followed, i seebenefit in that.

i'll donate 17pts
  7. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,202
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    64 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Cain View Post
    As to spectre's concern,

I was aware of the Humble Bundle release, especially the recent one the 25th Anniversary edition that was released in early December, which is just the ROM of the game wrapped up in a custom emulator. However, as not everyone can acquire the 25th Anniversary copy of the game at any time, Steam is optimal. In additition, I was not aware of the physical release.
    I bought the Neo Geo 25th Humble Bundle and got 3 versions of Metal Slug. The Rom, the drm-free version wrapped in a custom emulator, which later seemed to be an old version of NeoGeoX they lifted without persmission?, and a steam key.

It might also be available on Good old Games.

And regarding the whole 5 credit thing. Sure it says "Here are the settings:", yes, those are the settings you then must show in your evidence package so we can confirm that the correct settings were used in the adjudication. It doesn't say ANYWHERE that I cant continue which is the norm for this game. The score doesn't reset when you use a continue, so you can use as many continues as you like to complete the game, or in this case 5 as that's the max in the settings, but getting a highscore that way is no accomplishment in my book.
    aka Jacob Spring and Twin Galaxies Arcade World Record holder on Metal Slug Supervehicle-001
  8. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 12,547
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: idesidious
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    65 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre View Post
    but getting a highscore that way is no accomplishment in my book.
    But this isn't about "your book" and if someone wants to make a track for this it shouldn't be that much of an issue. Look, I'm not trying to start anything but it just seems like a high and mighty attitude about a game you're very familiar with and that is negativity people should be shying away from. Everyone should deserve a chance to play how they want and that's all there is to it.

Just remember, what doesn't seem like an accomplishment to you could mean the world to someone else. ;)
    Likes Barthax, creech liked this post
  9. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,202
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    64 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    You're right. This would fit right in with the stream of nonesense tracks that's been popping up lately. :D

And setting a highscore on any arcade game using continues is no accomplishment in anyones book. Never has been and never will be.
  10. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 12,547
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: idesidious
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    65 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre View Post
    You're right. This would fit right in with the stream of nonesense tracks that's been popping up lately. :D

And setting a highscore on any arcade game using continues is no accomplishment in anyones book. Never has been and never will be.
    I don't think you're really listening to what I'm saying so I'll quote something else.

"One man's trash is another man's treasure."

Okay so you're really good at Metal Slug, we get that. But don't think for a second that it gives you the right to belittle someone else's performance on the game or their want to play the game their own way. We are supposed to be open to everyone and I don't see that with you right now. I will defend your right to game on a championship level but I'll gladly take a bullet to defend more casual styles of gameplay. Maybe encourage someone instead of insulting and they just might be the competition you will meet in the future.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Join us