Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by creech View Post
    but at the same time if not trying to gain advantage why use it in the first place?
    No technical advantage, but maybe because it's less strain on the hands. Just a guess.
    ​"cred-jacked" ™ RaGe © 2017 The RaGe Corp. LLC
  2. VERIFIED BANNED FOR POOR BEHAVIOR Credibility: 28,770
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RaGe View Post
    No technical advantage, but maybe because it's less strain on the hands. Just a guess.
    That may be true, but to alot of people here that's advantage enough. I know GregDeg is awesome at Atari. Using a Modded controller for this Decathalon now must if even provide comfort be an advantage. It doesn't bother me much, but there's rules rats here that hide in the hole when it counts.
  3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,346
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: flyhec
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    89 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GregDeg View Post
    So far it looks like the community is not in favor of the mod or at best undecided. The only video I can show you is the mod in action. With a few weeks of practice, this is what’s possible (see video). It looks like I’ll be purchasing a Trak-Ball in the near future. I appreciate all the comments. I’ve always felt someone’s honesty and integrity is far more important than a high score. Thanks again.

https://youtu.be/39DXp81NKHM

Now do a comparison video of your time with an un-modded controller. When I was a kid my best was 10.02. Used to get 10.06 over 90% of the time and once in a while I would get 10.04 or 10.02. Not easy to do.

Hec
    If you need me, I'll be on the 7th floor.
  4. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 44,452

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Regarding the regular 2600 stock joystick..I never compared them myself, but I'd imagine better times can be made with the CX-40, rather than the CX-10, since the CX-10 requires more movement to register the directions. You can do shorter (quicker) left-rights with the CX-40. For other games, CX-10's are great, as they're easier on the hands.
    ​"cred-jacked" ™ RaGe © 2017 The RaGe Corp. LLC
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,845
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: bensweeneyonbass
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    106 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Greg - much respect for discussing this plainly with the community and inviting our thoughts.

It is my opinion that tweaking inputs/controllers should be reserved for emulation (since emulation allows key mapping). If you're submitting to an original console track (NTSC or PAL) you should use a stock Atari controller or a 3rd party clone of one. Do I think having a controller setup like this is against the spirit of the game? No, but I think it's against the spirit of submitting on original console hardware. If it were an emulation track I would pat you on the back for the ingenuity. It really is a very clever modification. Don't scrap it!

I don't want to base any decision on whether or not most people include their hands on console submission videos. I can tell you that you've got as much integrity as the best of us around here. In an appeal to that integrity, I urge you to pick the best stock controller for you on this game that can be used with the Atari.

EDIT: I've used things like the NES Advantage and the SNES Score Master (joystick controllers for these consoles) and I believe that to be in the spirit of the original hardware. SNES Score Master has built-in turbo/autofire so not all original/clone controllers have fully usable features. Autofire would still get you rejected even if it was a Nintendo-brand peripheral for that console. Some of this is clear/obvious but wanted to be explicit. In the name of being explicit, I also don't think it's too much of an advantage to play the game this way, but my feelings toward discouraging this has to do with modifying a controller to behave otherwise than it was intended to behave. If Atari put out a version of the joystick that worked this way, I'd say go for it, because you basically modified one Atari stick to act like another stock Atari stick. You get where I'm going with this I think. Thanks for reading the whole thing :)
  6. VERIFIED VERIFIED Credibility: 10,341
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Just use one of these, I made my own and that's what I'm going to use when I do the Track & Field events.

Modifying the joystick to do something it wasn't intended to do isn't allowed in today's arena. I'm sure back in the 80's-90's all sorts of things were used to substitute for a joystick.
  7. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 15,058

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: dmoreland
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bensweeneyonbass View Post
    Greg - much respect for discussing this plainly with the community and inviting our thoughts.

It is my opinion that tweaking inputs/controllers should be reserved for emulation (since emulation allows key mapping). If you're submitting to an original console track (NTSC or PAL) you should use a stock Atari controller or a 3rd party clone of one. Do I think having a controller setup like this is against the spirit of the game? No, but I think it's against the spirit of submitting on original console hardware. If it were an emulation track I would pat you on the back for the ingenuity. It really is a very clever modification. Don't scrap it!
    As Fly mentioned before, mapping a single function to more than one button is against the rules for MAME and I would probably stand by that rule for any type of emulation. I also appreciate Greg's honesty in asking instead of just trying to get this by the adjudication system.
    "Cryin' won't help you, prayin' won't do you no good"

Visit my YouTube channel for videos of over 150 classic arcade games, most of which you won't see at your local arcade. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4...56xV5To9gPqsLA
  8. BANNED BY ADMIN Credibility: 9,641
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    55 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Kudos to Greg for the honesty. Everyone should be so honest. If I had the power, I would hurl cheaters into the Sun. Unfortunately, my Kryptonian blood hasn't kicked in yet...

I would definitely reject with this mod. If there was no advantage - you wouldn't use it. I would consider an alternative controller made by a third party, but not a modded controller.
  9. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 12,538
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    67 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I appreciate all the comments and ideas everyone has contributed in this thread, which has grown much larger than I thought it would. It’s clear that this modification is not acceptable. Any Decathlon submission by me from here on in will be with the use of an original “unmodified” Atari joystick, as that’s all I’ve ever used.

Even though the use of the Trak-Ball has been accepted in the past, I think I’ll stick to the original controller. If I decide to use the Trak-Ball, I will make it clear in my submissions.

To answer Hector’s question... I was able to get 10.06 a few times in the 100m. I might be able to break 10, but that will take a lot of persistence.

The mod stick has been officially disassembled. I don’t want to keep adding disclaimers to my submissions… no Atari joysticks were harmed during the making of this video :)

Again, your comments are always appreciated.
    Likes RaGe, MyOwnWorstEnemy, Cthulhu liked this post
  10. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 28,683

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Desidious View Post
    Just use a Sega Genesis controller. Easier on your hands. lol
    I do find it funny that this thread is all about original equipment and advantage yet there's no problem using a Genesis controller on Atari. That is like heaven on your hands compared to an Atari joystick.
    Likes Desidious, Snowflake liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Join us