thread

What should I use to record a pinball world record?

User Tag List

1. Junior Member Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

What should I use to record a pinball world record?

What relatively inexpensive recorder be used to capture a pinball world record?

I'll just stick it on a tripod.

There's a high score on here that is like like under 2 million, and 9 million, depending on what DIP switch settings you go for. My high score was over 77 million!! I could do those scores like they were nothing if the flippers work properly.

I'm heading to an arcade this month. If they have the machine, I'm going to ask them if I let them know in advance the next time I'm coming, I'll pay them something to do maintenance on the machine before I come.. and if they'll let me boot it up from cold and record the whole thing.

I don't know how long it'll take me, because I didn't think to time how long I was playing last time.

I know devices split recordings up into multiple files. Would I just upload those all here right off the camera? Or would I combine them into one video and say encode them myself into something like an MKV container?
  2. VERIFIED Honored Veteran Credibility: 25,917

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: barthax
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    46 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by yuppicide View Post
    I know devices split recordings up into multiple files. Would I just upload those all here right off the camera? Or would I combine them into one video and say encode them myself into something like an MKV container?
    I'm not sure on the pinball-specifics but there are only three file options when coming to upload each with a maximum of 5GB. So you may find you have to re-encode to small size and/or split/combine depending on the eventual length.

Are you on my radar?
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
  3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,591
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I find that any newer android phone camera has a pretty decent camera (decent enough for this) but you have to make sure you alter the internal settings to VGA quality so the file size doesn't get out of control. If you don't have access to something like that and want to buy one then it is entirely dependent on your budget.

1) under $50 you will probably want to buy 2nd hand from someone. Luckily the quality in these has skyrocketed so you can get older models ***** and HDquality isn't necessary for something like this.

2) under $100 you can likely find some ***** off brands at places like Walmart or an electronics store / outlet depot. JVC has one I remember seeing that would do 1080 at 30fps for something like 99 bucks.

I wouldn't recommend anything in the $100-$250 range since the quality of product gets muddied. I'll keep an eye out for any specifics and shoot you a link if I find one. A top-end price would help :)

Cheers
    Roses are red...cacti are thorny...