thread

Capcom Naming Conventions - Street Fighter Zero vs. Street Fighter Alpha, etc. and What is Acceptable

User Tag List

1. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,282
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: yesaffinity
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    54 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Capcom Naming Conventions - Street Fighter Zero vs. Street Fighter Alpha, etc. and What is Acceptable

Hi all,

This question has been bugging me for a while, and hopefully we can get some good discussion out of it, and even a firm answer. This question pertains to arcade submissions only. MAME names a specific rom set that must be used for submissions. Arcade sometimes qualifies specifics of game play that are required (example: Donkey Kong must be "US SET 1" code, a.k.a no ladder trick allowed), but at least for Capcom games, does not specify a particular release of a title that is required for arcade submissions...and often there are multiple releases.

This question is specifically to some titles that I would like to submit on, but I'm sure it encompasses a greater range of games, even non-Capcom games.

In the various iterations of the Street Fighter series of games, you have instances of the American version of the game having a different name than the Japanese version of the game. Some examples (American name first, Japanese name second):
    -Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting vs. Street Fighter 2 Turbo Hyper Fighting
    -Street Fighter Alpha vs. Street Fighter Zero (true for the entire series)
    -Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo vs. Super Street Fighter 2 X: Grand Master Challenge (that's a mouthful)

America and Japan are not the only regions, and the other various regions got one of these names associated with their releases, but I won't dig into it for every last region.

In some cases, there is only one release of the game, and they are identical for all regions, such as Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting/Turbo Hyper Fighting). In other instances, there are multiple releases of the game, under their respective regional names. This is true in all regions, not just America and Japan, and the releases are essentially identical. I say essentially because in some instances one region would get a release that others didn't.

To use Street Fighter Zero 2/Alpha 2 as an, example the below date codes are the releases available in MAME:
    US - Alpha 2 - 960306, 960430
    Japan - Zero 2 - 960227, 960430

Now, Twin Galaxies lists the track names using the American naming convention. My question - is it acceptable to submit a score earned on a Japanese, or other region, version of the game board?

Please also consider that these boards are getting more rare as time goes on. Without going too deep into this discussion, CPS-2 games in particular had what is known as a "suicide battery". Once the battery fails, the board is bricked. Yes there have been recent developments that allows reviving these boards, however, this is just as of 2016. The point of this is that a title like Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo is all but impossible to acquire. The last time one came up on ebay, it was $400. SSF2T cabinets do not exist in the US, outside of private collectors, that I am aware of. So, essentially, if American boards only are going to be required, then the track for this title (in particular) has been locked to all but those who either already own the game, or have enough spare coin to wrestle one away from a collector, for the right price.

Let's discuss!
    Matthew 21:22

Street Fighter (15th) Anniversary Collection: Hyper Street Fighter II World Champion (PS2)

My current collection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKzvF3dRPsw
    Thanks jjt_defender thanked this post
    Likes jjt_defender liked this post
  2. VERIFIED VERIFIED Credibility: 2,119
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: RoyalLance
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    If the American version of the Street Fighter games are identical to the Japanese version asides from the title and character name changes it should be okay.

But if the game have speech text that spawn letter by letter (or character or by character if it's in Japanese) then it could be a problem for a speed run. If the text speech appear all at one then it should be okay.
  3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,758
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: spectredk
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    56 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to make some wild accusations and guesses on top of my head as I haven't spend the time to look into what I'm about to say. It could be food for thought though.

In the 90's Capcom was nutorious for making changes to US/World releases. Making the games easier than the japan version. There might also be balance changes between the region releases.

And like it was stated above, a difference in text and text speed could make a difference in speedruns.
    [Twitch: spectredk],[Youtube: spring79],[Twitter: @Sp3c7r3DK]
    aka Jacob Spring and Twin Galaxies Arcade World Record holder on Metal Slug Supervehicle-001
  4. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 7,232
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: gga_han
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    My .02...

Most PCBs feel the same to me, except for the glaring exception of Super SF2 X: Grand Master Challenge for the Japanese vs Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo for the USA market.

US Super Turbo is on another level of difficulty and its apparent if you've tried both within a a short span of time between the 2. Fire up mame to see what I mean...and when I say mean - the Super Turbo CPU is ruthless!

I also am pretty sure that "Asia" roms in mame play harder than US and Japan market roms, for some strange reason.

Edit: I wish I would have remembered to ask you, but I had to get rid of that ST board from my video you mentioned. I sold it on the shoryuken.com trading outlet forums; one pops up every few weeks there, if you really want an ST board.
    Last edited by HAN; 10-03-2016 at 11:44 PM.
  5. VERIFIED VERIFIED Credibility: 2,119
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: RoyalLance
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GGA HAN View Post
    My .02...

Most PCBs feel the same to me, except for the glaring exception of Super SF2 X: Grand Master Challenge for the Japanese vs Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo for the USA market.

US Super Turbo is on another level of difficulty and its apparent if you've tried both within a a short span of time between the 2. Fire up mame to see what I mean...and when I say mean - the Super Turbo CPU is ruthless!

I also am pretty sure that "Asia" roms in mame play harder than US and Japan market roms, for some strange reason.

Edit: I wish I would have remembered to ask you, but I had to get rid of that ST board from my video you mentioned. I sold it on the shoryuken.com trading outlet forums; one pops up every few weeks there, if you really want an ST board.
    Did you play Super Turbo and Super X to MAX difficulty?
  6. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,282
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    View Channel: yesaffinity
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    54 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GGA HAN View Post
    Ugh, I wish you wouldn't have told me that. Good news on the SRK forums, though, I haven't been keeping an eye on them for a potential source, but will. Thanks for the advice.

Good info on ST. I was testing a bit yesterday, and noticed a difference between my experience on my SSF2X board, and the rom required for MAME, which is actually the ETC (World) release. (Also to answer Lance's question - I have verified that the World/ETC rom of Super Turbo is more difficult and slightly faster, Pete has verified from his US board that this is also true, both compared to Japanese release).

So, now that gets to a deeper dive, particularly into SSF2T/SSF2X, as all regional releases are named SSF2T, with only the Japanese being SSF2X. We have validated US and ETC (World) being more difficult. Pete is pretty sure Asia is also more difficult. That leaves I believe Oceana.

Now, what if Oceania was on par with Japanese (easier) difficulty, yet it meets the naming convention required by the track?

Lastly, interesting to note: the ETC rom's boot screen says "Super Street Fighter 2 X", but its title screen says "Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo". Not sure if that's true for all "Turbo" versions, or if it has any significance, but thought it worth mentioning.
    Matthew 21:22

Street Fighter (15th) Anniversary Collection: Hyper Street Fighter II World Champion (PS2)

My current collection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKzvF3dRPsw