thread

Donkey Kong 3: Which DIP switch setting for difficulty?

User Tag List

1. VERIFIED Junior Member Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Donkey Kong 3: Which DIP switch setting for difficulty?

Hi all. I have searched and it looks like Twin Galaxies lists the proper DIP switch setting for DK3 to be "medium" but does not list which number is considered medium. From what I have seen, the instruction manual for DK3 does not list a "medium" but instead lists difficulty levels of 1, 2, 3, and 4. So, for Twin Galaxies settings, which setting is the proper one: 2 or 3? Thanks!
  2. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,120
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Well depends on what you are doing? Are you playing on Arcade or are you playing on MAME. It's dip switch setting number 3 for Medium. MAME is on Medium settings, but strangely enough MAME medium settings are really dip switch number 2. So if it's Arcade like I think you are doing, than yeah number 3. So I take it you are looking to submit a score. What is your high score at the moment?
    Space Jockey (Atari 2600) 1,321,495 3rd highest score in the world.
  3. VERIFIED Junior Member Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Homer. Thanks for the reply. I clicked to subscribe to the thread so I am not sure why I did not receive email notification of your reply, so I apologize for my delay.

I am playing on an actual physical DK3 arcade cabinet. I do not expect to be breaking any records! My top is like 225,000. I more so want to make sure I have the proper settings selected for "training" purposes.
  4. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,903
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    30 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there OldSkoolFool, welcome to Twin Galaxies! I hope you can adjudicate a few scores and earn some points. Then you can submit your scores too. I would like to see you play DK3. It is a fun game, reminds me of Galaga.
    --My TG Blog--
    --Long live the neon glow--

--Arcade Photographer of All Time--
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,120
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolFool View Post
    Hi Homer. Thanks for the reply. I clicked to subscribe to the thread so I am not sure why I did not receive email notification of your reply, so I apologize for my delay.

I am playing on an actual physical DK3 arcade cabinet. I do not expect to be breaking any records! My top is like 225,000. I more so want to make sure I have the proper settings selected for "training" purposes.
    That's a really decent score. Glad to see you train on my favorite game. :)
    Thanks datagod thanked for this post
    Likes datagod liked this post
  6. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,903
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    30 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by homerwannabee View Post
    That's a really decent score. Glad to see you train on my favorite game. :)
    Hey George, how long have you been playing that game? How long did it take you to get the world record?
    --My TG Blog--
    --Long live the neon glow--

--Arcade Photographer of All Time--
  7. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,120
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by datagod View Post
    Hey George, how long have you been playing that game? How long did it take you to get the world record?
    I played this game at first I think when I was 10 years old. I had the high score at the South Pasadena boys club when I was 11 in 1986. Well I started playing DK3 again with Java in January of 2010. Sometime in May I realized that my score in Java was very close to the record, and I looked for an arcade machine to play it on. I found an Ultracade. After about a week I was getting around 3 million, and I thought getting the record would be a piece of cake if I found a machine. Little did I know I was playing on easy settings. I finally did find a machine, and within a few days of playing I broke the world record. First I broke the 5 man record, and a couple of days later it was Memorial day weekend, and AtariAge had this as part of their high score contest. As a joke someone said I should beat the record during the tournament, and I did just that, and became the world record holder. Then I went to Seattle, and broke my record in a live setting with a 3.5 million score. Than I went to Eric Tessler's house, and put up a 4.2 million score. Finally I went to Denver, and put up the score that you see today on the site. It's the one game I was naturally good at for whatever crazy reason.
    Thanks datagod thanked for this post