M.A.M.E. - Up 'N Down - Points - 325,520 - Robert Mruczek

Score Trackhttp://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=9812
    RulesROMSet: UpNDown
    Cabinet: Upright
    Lives: 3
    Bonus Life: 10000
    Difficulty: Easy
    Special Rules: None
    Submission MessageDifficulty="EASY", lives=3, bonus=10,000...reached level 24. 1st death in Round 11 was totally unexpected. Second death in Round 12 was my falling into a trap. The third death in Round 16 was especially painful. The final death was my fault.

Video uploaded to YouTube here -

INP/WLF files already uploaded to MARP

Like "Van-Van Car" this title cycles through 16 stages, but unlike "Van-Van Car" which reverts to stage 1 difficulty, UND is trickier in the second loop.Name:  upndown_106_RTM_325520_24.png
Views: 109
Size:  1.8 KB
    Thanks jjt_defender, HugDD thanked this post
    Likes CraigA, jjt_defender, HugDD liked this post
  2. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,512
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Just realized...the filename of the zip file has a typo, but the score is what I submitted of 325,520
    Likes CraigA liked this post
  3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 5,796
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: rogerpoco48
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    59 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Nice run, interesting game. I saw this flipping through the rankings a couple weeks ago, meant to check it out.
    I just got off "Treasure Island", Q-bert style stick on my mind-it looks like this game would respond to a diagonal stick as well?

Again, nice job!
  4. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,512
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Something to share which now seems quite obvious to me after playing the game as much as I have been these past several days.

There is a limited number of play field layouts in the game and each has a "pattern" of it's own. Here is my analysis.

Stages 5, 9, 13, 17, 21, etc...these are the "gimme" stages. The pattern is nearly rock-solid and you ALWAYS start from the same position. The pattern is not 100% guaranteed but as close as can be expected. Minor adjustments sometimes have to be made but otherwise it is the stage that stands the greatest chance of completing for the 10K bonus safely, and in later stages when traffic gets clogged at least the 5K bonus.

Stages 6, 10, 14, 18, etc...this is the second easiest pattern BUT there are two (2) variants depending on if your car starts on the left or right side of the screen. Starting on the left is the easier of the two.

Stages 3, 7, 11, 15, etc...a much harder pattern. As with the stage 6 pattern you can start on the left or right side and the patter is easier starting on the right.

Stages 4, 8, 12 and 16 are the hardest of the patterns. As with the stages 6 and 7 patterns you have two possible starting points...I prefer the one where you start on the left but both are equally do-able.

Notice that I left something out...stage 1. In my opinion, stages 1, 17 and if I ever get up that high 33 then 49 will be the same albeit harder with each new loop. This layout is unique and is the 5th pattern, and you always start from the same spot, just as you do in the stage 5 pattern.

I also left out intentionally stages 2, 3 and 4. Here is why.

Stage 2 is not unlike stage 6 BUT you start at a completely different point in the stage, a bit earlier in the playfield to be precise. The same happens in stage 18.

Same for stage 3 being like stage 7, and stage 4 being like stage 8...each starts you off at a slightly different starting point, and this repeats for the second loop for stages 19 and 20 respectively, and I have to imagine the same would apply to the third loop.
    Thanks CraigA, Rogerpoco, jjt_defender thanked this post
    Likes CraigA, jjt_defender liked this post
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 14,457
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent record Robert!!!
    Rodrigo Lopes
    Former Twin Galaxies Referee
    Metroid Team Member from Brazil
  6. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,512
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerpoco View Post
    just got off "Treasure Island", Q-bert style stick on my mind-it looks like this game would respond to a diagonal stick as well?

RTM REPLY - I can't remember exactly as it has been decades since I played the arcade original, but I believe it was diagonal controls a-la "Q*Bert". Maybe KLOV's resources have confirmation of this - https://www.arcade-museum.com/game_d...?game_id=10273

To date via WolfMAME I am using a keyboard to play the title and so far that has worked out fine even tough the keys are standard up/down/left/right directional arrows. I'm pretty used to it by now to the point that it's second nature to make the movements using this configuration.
    Thanks Rogerpoco, jjt_defender thanked this post
    Likes jjt_defender liked this post
  7. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 5,796
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    59 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I was pretty sure, by the gameplay.
    They do great work at KLOV, don't get me wrong, but they actually have the controls wrong on almost every DECO game-I DO see where that particular machine can be misleading though.

Yeah, it very much seemed to be 8-way controls.(I'm calling it that until someone corrects me).

Eh. I knew you were "pretty good", lol. Didn't know you were in the pantheon of Keyboard Gamers. Crazy!
    Thanks RTM thanked this post
  8. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,512
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Sometimes the game causes you to inexplicably crash from simple, mundane actions. Thus no pattern nor expert level of skill will get you through a stage with a guarantee.

Here's one such sample from a jump in stage 1 that I made hundreds of times successfully.

Thanks jjt_defender thanked this post
  9. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 5,796
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    59 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I played this for a few minutes just now. That's as long as I can stay alive.

Looking at the bezel, it describes up/down/left/right-I was playing 4-way, but it didn't feel right at all.

I'll move my restrictor tomorrow(wanna play Treasure Island again-may spend a lot of time on it, the controls feel great diagonally, MUCH smoother than Q-bert, and it is a great game!), I'll see if this one feels any better, but this here game is a LOT harder than you make it look, seriously.

I have to ask, you in general, and others that play on keyboards. For anyone's budget, "arcade controls" are relatively inexpensive. Some interface directly with ipac controls(I think I said that right-I mean, not USB),so no problems with controller lag.
    Is there an advantage you guys feel with a keyboard?

I'm not ambitious/rich, but I couldn't imagine not having actual joysticks, 4/8/16 way, and pushbuttons to play all these awesome games on. Having them, I feel bad for better gamers than me that don't use/have them(CWK is my first example-so awesome, someone needs to get him a control panel, bad!).

Hint: While jumping, the car's speed can be bontrolled.
    SIC. I may make that my sig, haha!
  10. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,512
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I have to tell you with honesty...I trust playing with a keyboard more, and for titles that are prone to joystick malfunction such as "Timber" and "Green Beret/Rush'n Attack" due to all the back-and-forth snap-action, I trust my keyboard more.

For a diagonal title such as "Up'N Down" and "Q*Bert" there is a learning curve to use an up/down/left/right standard keypad to duplicate these directions...I did not take to it right away, it took some time.

However, for many other titles...or rather joystick/controller types...a keyboard simply sucks. And by "keyboard" I mean standard PC style keyboard with raised keys and not those barely-high keys that are designed for soft-pressing (I cannot STAND using those, personally).

Dual-Joystick - playing "Robotron" on a keyboard is too frustrating to even bother with

Multi-Button - I have found no difference between playing "Asteroids" using a keyboard vs the arcade original.

Tight-Movement - playing "Scramble" is do-able...not perfect but do-able...but "Super Cobra" leaves much to be desired, so tight-movement games can be problematic depending on the title

Yoke - I've given up trying to play "Star Wars" on MAME using a mouse controller...it's an exercise in futility. Same for trying a title such as "BattleZone".

Light Gun - without a doubt MAME rocks !! You have a cursor as opposed to a game like "Crossbow" and "Chiller" where you do not. I am absolutely horrible at gun-games in general yet on MAME I could get 20M on "Chiller" (registered on MARP) so that shows how disparate the difficulty with gun games is between the two platforms.

Driving - you are going to find this quite hard to believe, but on "Night Driver" I can play better using a mouse and keyboard than anyone possibly could using a steering wheel in the arcade original. My score at the "break" where the game goes into extended mode depending on settings is better than the WR...I just have not bothered playing again to beat the full-game WR but it is very do-able. Not every driving game is played better on MAME...just those that have specific controller considerations.

Platform - I've done equally well on "Pandora's Palace" on both arcade and MAME, but for "Mr Do's Wild Ride" I can play way better and precisely using a keyboard. I cannot explain why, I just can. As for "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom", I play far better using an arcade joystick as a keyboard just cannot behave the same in the mine cart scene...I often jut-forward or the cart does not behave as I had intended when using a keyboard but on an arcade joystick I have no such problem. Someone explained the why behind this to me once, I just forgot their explanation.

Rotator/Knob - for the most part playing the arcade controller is better such as for "Tempest" and "Arkanoid", but on occasion (for MAME) a title exists where I have found that a mouse works FAR better. "Zektor B" is one such title.

Other - "Top Secret" is a complex title involving something like 8-buttons on top of the joystick, and I forget if there is a gas/break pedal combination as it has been too long since I last played in the arcade. But on MAME I did quite well using a keyboard and mouse control !!
    Thanks Rogerpoco, jjt_defender thanked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast