Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

New User process needs improvement

So over the past couple months, I've tried running a couple of contests in an Xbox Live club that I belong to. They were simple - the highest submitted score to here at TG would be awarded a small prize, a $25 XBL gift card. I didn't mind putting up a little money to encourage people to head over here and compete, in hopes that we could get a few more people submitting on the Xbox platforms.

Well, as far as I'm aware, only one person over that time period actually signed up and submitted a score. I know some other people said they tried to sign up but ran into problems. At least one other has suggested they signed up, but from the conversation I'm not sure if they completed it or not.

This says to me that the signup process here needs to be improved. While I don't expect crowds of people to join, I'd think that the prospect of a $25 gift card would be enough to get a handful of people to give it a shot. Knowing that almost everyone that did look into signing up didn't complete the process is pretty telling.

Sites like TG live and die by their user base. They need new users to join in and stick around. As it is, it looks like new users have to be fairly determined to join up and start participating. I'd like to believe the intent is to find the right balance of making it easy enough for new people to join and participate without resulting in problems with fake accounts - and right now, I think it's far less welcoming and encouraging to people than it should be.
    Likes HugDD, HAN liked this post
  2. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,183
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Angela...while I completely agree with you that TG needs a strong user base, and that basic site functionality should be as welcoming and user-friendly as possible, your post is long on assumptions and short on specifics. What exactly are the problems they're running into? I took a look at the registration page, and there are only 4 fields to fill out (user name, password, email, security question)...I've been here just over a year, and I remember being up and running in under 10 minutes. You're a fairly new member as well - do you recall having any problems with registering, or finding any of it unclear? Unless I'm unaware of some hoop that people need to jump through when registering, it seems more likely that those in your group chose not to for other reasons altogether.

I've seen a lot of improvements to the site in my short time here, and there are still several others we'd all like to see implemented. I feel generic statements like "X needs improvement" aren't all that constructive, and are more likely to be ignored by the development team, who already have a lot on their plates...for me, providing details of the problem would go a long way.

All that being said, it's clear you're looking out for TG's best interests, and that's always a good thing!
  3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,526
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: megaretroman
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    83 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    The only thing I've come across when I was a new user is the 1 FREE SUBMISSION is total garbage. I know I'm not the only one who had that problem.
    Seattle Retro Gamer
    2013 & 2015 SRGE Arcade Armageddon Winner (3x Finalist)
    2016 Twin Galaxies NES Decathlon (Rematch) - 1st Place
    Twin Galaxies Retro Nintendo Online Open #1 - 1st Place
    1991 Nintendo Campus Challenge, 1992 Super Nintendo Campus Challenge & 1994 PowerFest World Record Holder
  4. Junior Member Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonV91 View Post
    I took a look at the registration page, and there are only 4 fields to fill out (user name, password, email, security question)...I've been here just over a year, and I remember being up and running in under 10 minutes.
    I couldn't create an account for about four weeks since there was a "Disable Profile Hover" section on the registration form yet neither of the two responses counted as valid.

That's honestly the main problem this site has now, lack of attention to detail. How much further along would the site be (and thus how much time, labour and money saved) if they'd implemented the ESI & PSI formulas correctly the first time, or didn't have to have three stabs at doing the notification system, or whatever issue they had with the latest upgrade where they took the site down twice over two days instead of doing the work once? I know someome's gonna shout BETA! at me but that shouldn't be a synonym for sloppiness.
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 14,135
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: marcamy_1029
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    28 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GibGirl View Post
    So over the past couple months, I've tried running a couple of contests in an Xbox Live club that I belong to. They were simple - the highest submitted score to here at TG would be awarded a small prize, a $25 XBL gift card. I didn't mind putting up a little money to encourage people to head over here and compete, in hopes that we could get a few more people submitting on the Xbox platforms.

Well, as far as I'm aware, only one person over that time period actually signed up and submitted a score. I know some other people said they tried to sign up but ran into problems. At least one other has suggested they signed up, but from the conversation I'm not sure if they completed it or not.

This says to me that the signup process here needs to be improved. While I don't expect crowds of people to join, I'd think that the prospect of a $25 gift card would be enough to get a handful of people to give it a shot. Knowing that almost everyone that did look into signing up didn't complete the process is pretty telling.

Sites like TG live and die by their user base. They need new users to join in and stick around. As it is, it looks like new users have to be fairly determined to join up and start participating. I'd like to believe the intent is to find the right balance of making it easy enough for new people to join and participate without resulting in problems with fake accounts - and right now, I think it's far less welcoming and encouraging to people than it should be.
    Are you on Social Media? Plenty of gamer pages out there on Facebook and Twitter, (even the Twin Galaxies pages) where you can promote your generous intentions. This is where you can market to find the masses.

As far as anyone claiming TG being either "dead", "failing or "unwelcoming", each to their own opinions. It is simply ones perception to anyone who feels that way. No one, nor no website is PERFECT, and thats all fine. But, I assure you, there are hundreds of lurkers out there who simply refuse to participate here due to negative vibes, sour grapes, or full transparancy reasons, or all of the above. Does make one think everything MUST be somewhat relevant over here afterall, eh?

For myself, after 10 plus years of on and off activity, I strongly feel you will not find this site in a better state than it is right now under the current ownership and the way things are being run.
    Thanks Jace Hall, datagod thanked this post
    Likes nads, datagod liked this post
  6. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,405
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    The comments that I might be assuming too much may well be relevant here, I admit. I haven't really been able to ask a lot about why people didn't participate. I did see a couple comments from people that it was "impossible" or "too difficult" to sign up, and a couple more that thought submitting was too complicated. So there's at least some feedback that indicates that the process could be better.

I don't remember a lot about the signup process myself - though I do remember that I almost bailed with the phone verification step, finding it unusual and it made me uncomfortable.

I guess what I'm saying here is that the new user experience - the process of signing up, getting verified, and making the first submission - really should be looked over from the perspective of UX (User eXperience) and usability. The questions shouldn't be "can people sign up?", but "does the web site properly guide users through the process in easy to understand manner?" I know I've already made suggestions for TG in regards to other areas based on UX concerns, and I could probably easily list a bunch more - this is why I'd expect the new user process, including first submission, could surely be improved upon.

(And as an example, I just visited the main page through Firefox on my browser, and the top bar isn't even showing up, preventing log in or new user signup)
    Likes ssdninja liked this post
  7. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 28,683

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    You're absolutely on point here. There's a reason why sites like speedrun.com have a larger active user base and are the main depository for runs if you're looking to go fast in a game. I have a "world record" here that's beaten by like 12 minutes there and that is definitely a rule, not an exception. But we kinda ruined our goodwill with the speedrun community by copy+pasting their entire database of rulesets and posting it here without asking first.

So the best case scenario is you give your phone number out to an unknown website and get all verified. You submit your first run and everything is good and now have to wait weeks for it to approve. In the meantime you now have to vote on other people's stuff and wait who knows how long to get enough points to submit again. Best case you're looking at a week before you can submit again.

Worst case is you get hassled through verification (or don't want to give your phone number out to a random website) and get your first submission rejected for any number of reasons since the main body of precedence here is unwritten collective knowledge. Now you have to vote on stuff with no skin on the game and wait to try again, hopefully getting the rules right this time. Still looking at least a week minimum, but now with less motivation.

Thing is because credibility functionally means nothing to submitting the best way to participate faster starting out is just to spam yes on everything. Minor credibility hits (again, no effect if this lowers) and you maximize submission point gain.

In terms of internet time the amount of time and work it takes to get going here is ridiculous. Again, let's take an example from here compared to speedrun.com. We have an ActRaiser run in the queue at almost 2.5 hours for a "world record" while speedrun.com has a time listed at under an hour for their any% category. There's a Cool Spot run at nearly 47 minutes listed elsewhere at 11:09. ****, I have a speed time in Guinness I didn't earn because there's no way I have any kind of record on Super Meat Boy. These faster times are submitted there because it's easier to compete and that's where the champions are gathering. Just look at their traffic following AGDQ.

But if you look deeper it shows something else. These runs are already on tape and documented but you don't see these people coming over here and submitting so that someone else is taking their accolade without earning it. There's something about the process and site that makes it not worth the effort for a *lot* of world record holders to not submit their world records here. Maybe TG isn't on their radar, maybe they're mad about their rules getting taken, who knows. But you'll never see a WR for Super Metroid or even Super Mario Bros posted here. You have to go elsewhere for that.

I mean something is obviously off here. I had a friend sign to submit some scores and he's had clear cut scores in the queue for ages. Imagine a brand new submitter around being told your first submission could take anywhere from 1 week to several months to be accepted. That's what happens here and it's not how you get people to stick around. Luckily he got quick score defenses from the guy he took the record from and that kept him interested.

The biggest thing is that new people need to get invested faster and old lingering scores need to get kicked out the queue for resubmission to keep turnover rolling fast. But the focus here is making the site like Facebook currently so these fixes aren't going to be happening soon.

#1 is that the database becomes respected and recognized as a repository for actual world records. Get world record holders over here, challenge bad scores and make new users welcome and able to participate fully faster.
    Likes HAN liked this post
  8. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 23,017
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    47 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ssdninja
    Imagine a brand new submitter around being told your first submission could take anywhere from 1 week to several months to be accepted. That's what happens here
    Hi Joe. How do they adjudicate the submissions over at Speed Run? I've never had a look over there.

john

9. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 28,683

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Each game has moderators that are required to have some knowledge in the game, either by submissions or participation in that game's community. So generally the people viewing submissions are experts in that particular game.
    Thanks lexmark thanked this post
    Likes lexmark liked this post
  10. VERIFIED Member Credibility: 1,309
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Hi ssdninja
    could you please adjudicate my Rocket league score on GWR platform submission.
    i am new to this site and young (10 years old), not sure about adjudication process here.
    Adjudication need to be done in a day to keep my current Guinnes World Record.
    Please help. Thank you.
    Regards
    Shashipreetham Ravella
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us