Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: snowflaketg
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    33 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not a fan of limiting total items as one person could get 100 in the queue then other people have to adjudicate dozens of records racing to get theirs in when one spot opens. Ssdninja was specifically talking about old submissions and I agree with him there. Let me aso this jace. Would you let the community enforce a de facto timeout. Would you regard it as collusion if adjudicators openly and transparently discussed some submissions as being too old and then went and rejected them?
    Likes jpittman liked this post
  2. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,357
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jace Hall View Post
    One idea could be having a total limit on the amount of items allowed in the queue.

For example - if the queue simply wont allow more than 200 items no matter what, then the community would need to adjudicate stuff through in order to continue to submit more.

hmmmm.......
    With respect, I think this could backfire and create more problems than it solves. Any global cap can lead to the queue staying at or near its limit, at which point members are stuck repeatedly trying to submit their new games before other members snatch up the 1 or 2 open places in the queue. People who only log in a few times a week could be pretty screwed in a full queue scenario. People will participate in the adjudication process only to find they still can't submit because someone else beat them to the few open spaces, and they'll have no real idea of when they'll get lucky enough to get their own game submitted ahead of others trying the same thing. If people invest time and energy to the adjudication process but keep missing some transient, limited window to get their own submissions in before the queue caps out again, they may grow frustrated and quit.

My two cents, your mileage may vary, yada yada yada

Jamey Pittman
    Perfect Pac-Man - 3,333,360 (Twin Galaxies, MARP)
    The Pac-Man Dossier
    Likes Snowflake, HugDD, Barthax liked this post
  3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 14,129
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: marcamy_1029
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    28 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jace Hall View Post
    One idea could be having a total limit on the amount of items allowed in the queue.

For example - if the queue simply wont allow more than 200 items no matter what, then the community would need to adjudicate stuff through in order to continue to submit more.

hmmmm.......
    Name:  2017_02_18_22_44_161.png
Views: 96
Size:  286.7 KB

Thanks HugDD thanked this post
    Likes jpittman, Snowflake, Max, creech, HugDD and 1 others liked this post
  4. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 28,683

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if a queue limit would be the answer since the problem seems to stem from people not voting on old submissions for whatever reason. An absolute limit on *individual* submission totals may be better as that would encourage someone with a dozen old submissions to either cancel them or push them for adjudication.

In general I think it's mostly just that things get forgotten and then they accumulate. If people are commenting or watching that's fine but if you look at the view counts for some of these old threads it's clear that's not happening. Even now with the advanced filtering it's going to be necessary at one point to have a system for sweeping out old submissions.

I think a 1-month timer on comment activity would be awesome as a starting point. If *anyone* comments on a submission once per month it stays active in the queue. If it drops out of view that long for both the submitter and the voters then it doesn't seem like anything of value was lost.

This really isn't an undue burden since it can be shared by anyone in the community.
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,695

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: settleitonthescreen
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    85 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonV91 View Post
    If a sub hasn't been approved after a couple of months, there is something wrong with it - either the submitter hasn't properly bumped it, or the submission itself is lacking in some way (poor evidence, questionable gameplay tactics, etc.) and people are afraid to outright reject it...it's the dreaded "the sub isn't good but I'll abstain and not risk any cred",
    Agreed,major part of this issue, too many babies worried about the CR rating and not speaking up and afraid to vote. Waiting or passing on submission points. It is unfortunate for a new -user to get caught in a long adjucate for their possible 1st score.
  6. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,526
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: megaretroman
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    83 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    What's really discouraging is you see a bunch of new submissions getting verified within a week or two. Then there are those active submissions that have been chilling there for at least a month, some from those same users. That doesn't help matters much either.
    Seattle Retro Gamer
    2013 & 2015 SRGE Arcade Armageddon Winner (3x Finalist)
    2016 Twin Galaxies NES Decathlon (Rematch) - 1st Place
    Twin Galaxies Retro Nintendo Online Open #1 - 1st Place
    1991 Nintendo Campus Challenge, 1992 Super Nintendo Campus Challenge & 1994 PowerFest World Record Holder
  7. VERIFIED BANNED FOR POOR BEHAVIOR Credibility: 28,770
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    I'm not a fan of limiting total items
    Yes, this shouldn't be limited
  8. VERIFIED BANNED FOR POOR BEHAVIOR Credibility: 28,770
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaretroman View Post
    What's really discouraging is you see a bunch of new submissions getting verified within a week or two. Then there are those active submissions that have been chilling there for at least a month, some from those same users. That doesn't help matters much either.
    They'll be gotten too, and if not, they are hanging around for a reason. Just wait them out.

Edited to add, how many of them have been uploaded to you tube or an outside source?
  9. VERIFIED BANNED FOR POOR BEHAVIOR Credibility: 28,770
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by timmell View Post
    Agreed,major part of this issue, too many babies worried about the CR rating and not speaking up and afraid to vote. Waiting or passing on submission points. It is unfortunate for a new -user to get caught in a long adjucate for their possible 1st score.
    I don't see this as the case at all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G58AErZSNfo
    Last edited by creech; 02-19-2017 at 03:26 AM.
    Thanks jjt_defender thanked this post
    Likes HugDD, jjt_defender liked this post
  10. VERIFIED BANNED FOR POOR BEHAVIOR Credibility: 28,770
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's more people that don't adjudicate need to adjudicate than people being scared too. First of all, scared of what?
    Everyone's welcome to add their 2 cents in those threads and some of you I don't see doing that. Make a difference.
    Likes nads liked this post
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Join us