thread

Why not combine a platform and it's online market place?

User Tag List

1. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,209
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: spectredk
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    50 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Why not combine a platform and it's online market place?

I find it strange that a platforms marketplace for downloadable games are kept seperate from the platform itself? What is the reason behind it?

Nintendo Wii + eShop + Virtual Console
    PlayStation 3 + PSN
    PlayStation 4 + PSN
    Xbox 360 + Xbox Live Arcade

There's already instances where the same game is represented twice and you can in theory gain ESI twice by submitting the same performance twice.

In the future it will also be hard to figure out "where" to create the new track as almost all new releases are both release digitally and physically.

I just bought Trackmania Turbo for PlayStation 4 as a digital release on PSN. In my mind this is a digital only game and I went on Twin Galaxies to look up scores. Naturally I went to PlayStation 4 PSN and found nothing. To my surprise it did actually have a physical release and it was created on the PlayStation 4 platform.

Another reason I think it should be combined is that I think it creates confusion? "Can I submit for the physical release even though I only own it digitally?", is something I could see new users ask.

TL:DR having both platform and online marketplace is confusing and can potentially be used for double ESI with 1 performance (already possible in some instances).

And a little something extra:
    Why is "Nintendo 3DS Classics" it's own platform? It's just a series of games relased on the Nintendo 3DS? It would be the same as creating a platform for just the 5 Namco Museum releases on PlayStation 1?

Keep it simple
    [Twitch: spectredk],[Youtube: spring79],[Twitter: @Sp3c7r3DK]
    aka Jacob Spring and Twin Galaxies Arcade World Record holder on Metal Slug Supervehicle-001
    Likes GGA HAN, timmell, PatrickDiPersio liked this post
  2. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,209
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    50 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    So nobody has answers to any of these questions?
    aka Jacob Spring and Twin Galaxies Arcade World Record holder on Metal Slug Supervehicle-001
  3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 28,962
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    No one cares about stopping double ESI or there would have been a stop to adding completely unstandardized emulation to console platforms like SNES. Not only is that double dipping but the lack of standards is a bad joke.

There is currently no way to compete on the Switch.

Combining digital and physical purchases would make too much sense, sadly. I don't think the database is a big priority anymore.
  4. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,209
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    50 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Just thought of another situation today.

I saw that the XBLA version of Daytona USA is now backwards compatible on Xbox One. So you can download it in the store on Xbox One. People not knowing any better could create tracks for the game on Xbox One.

And speaking of Xbox One, it looks like that platform is doing it right? There's nothing called Xbox One Live Arcade or whatever the store is called on that system. And I see that Geometry Wars 3, a download only game, is listed on the Xbox One platform.
  5. VERIFIED Member Credibility: 1,931
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    If an app is available on both systems, I would suggest to combine android games and identical apps on IOs.