Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Silk Worm on MAME

Was thinking about getting into Silk Worm (Mame) and just wanted to know something.

As there are two fire buttons for the game (if using the chopper 1 fires ahead and the other fires at the ground). Is it OK to set the controls in MAME to have both fire buttons configured to fire from one button rather than using two buttons? I did not see anything on the track rules about changing the button configuration and would hate to submit a score only to have it rejected due to button setup.
  2. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,357
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair Weston View Post
    Is it OK to set the controls in MAME to have both fire buttons configured to fire from one button rather than using two buttons?
    Others may feel differently, but I personally would never vote to accept any MAME submission where it was determined that multiple buttons were consolidated into a single input. I should think that setting such a precedent would be opening the floodgates to potential cheating on titles that might become easier by stacking button inputs in this fashion. No bueno. If the machine was designed to use two buttons, then use two buttons and play the game as intended. Why would that be a problem?

Jamey Pittman
    Perfect Pac-Man - 3,333,360 (Twin Galaxies, MARP)
    The Pac-Man Dossier
    Thanks Blair Weston thanked for this post
  3. VERIFIED Member Credibility: 1,264
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    thanks , 2 buttons it is
  4. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,523
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, 2 buttons is needed for sure. I can't remember if I've seen a rule posted somewhere here, but I definitely remember there being discussion about this previously, and it was very clear that mapping to the same button would never fly.

Glad to see you're doing the sensible thing and asking about it in the forums first, instead of starting a firestorm of discussion on a submission that would never go through.

Good luck on Silk Worm!
  5. VERIFIED Member Credibility: 1,264
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah thanks it will be a bit down the track before i have time to start having a serious crack at silkworm, but thought i should find out first what the go was. I like to make sure that all my submissions tick all the boxes and leave no doubt in any voters mind that they are adjudicating a genuine submission.
    Likes jpittman liked this post
  6. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,357
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair Weston View Post
    Yeah thanks it will be a bit down the track before i have time to start having a serious crack at silkworm, but thought i should find out first what the go was. I like to make sure that all my submissions tick all the boxes and leave no doubt in any voters mind that they are adjudicating a genuine submission.
    Your conscientious attitude regarding your submissions is both respected and appreciated. Kudos.

Jamey Pittman
    Perfect Pac-Man - 3,333,360 (Twin Galaxies, MARP)
    The Pac-Man Dossier