Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by creech View Post
    It worked okay for me prior to maybe 3 days ago, but yes, there were problems on and off during the course of the year, but eventually worked themselves out I guess.
    Ever since I came back in January, I've noticed the editor for replying in threads doesn't give the full compliment of editor tools. I've only ever been able to get those by right-clicking. Speaking as a software engineer with 25+ years of experience (many of those years in web-based development not terribly dissimilar from what this site does), there's simply no excuse for leaving a fairly straightforward WYSIWYG editor broken for this long. We're not talking about difficult coding work, here. No, it comes down to someone's priorities being severely messed up if they consider leaving a forum's editor crippled for nearly a year an acceptable decision.
    Last edited by jpittman; 05-12-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Jamey Pittman
    Perfect Pac-Man - 3,333,360 (Twin Galaxies, MARP)
    The Pac-Man Dossier
    Thanks creech thanked this post
    Likes stella_blue, HugDD liked this post
  2. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,357
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to walk away from my keyboard now before I really lose my temper and start saying things I'll regret later on. Allowing something like this to sit half-broken for nearly a year implies a level of disrespect toward, and disregard for, this community for which there is simply no excuse. If I appear angry, it's because I honestly feel that the members here deserve better out of this organization.
    Last edited by jpittman; 05-12-2017 at 06:01 PM.

Jamey Pittman
    The Pac-Man Dossier
    Likes creech, stella_blue, HugDD liked this post
  3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 23,017
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    47 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JPittman
    I'd add an angry emoticon, but I didn't right-click before composing this response, and so I obviously can't because the editor is ****ing broken!
    I like that, you've expressed the frustration of the situation beautifully !

john

Thanks jpittman thanked this post
    Likes creech liked this post
  4. VERIFIED Veteran Member Credibility: 35,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: stella_blue
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by creech View Post
    It's okay, you can call me creech.

How about "Watermelon Man" ?

Herbie Hancock might appreciate the homage.

Likes creech, HugDD liked this post
  5. VERIFIED Veteran Member Credibility: 35,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: stella_blue
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jpittman View Post
    I'm going to walk away from my keyboard now before I really lose my temper and start saying things I'll regret later on. Allowing something like this to sit half-broken for nearly a year implies a level of disrespect toward, and disregard for, this community for which there is simply no excuse. If I appear angry, it's because I honestly feel that the members here deserve better out of this organization.

Only a year?

Ha! That's nothing.

I've been struggling with the Shoutbox Archive for more than twice that long (25 months).

Check it out:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/vbshout.php?do=archive&instanceid=1

The duplication of items would be laughable, if not for the tedium and frustration.

6. VERIFIED TG Head Custodian Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    58 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    A few items:

1.) The "full editor" is going away for numerous reasons.

2.) The new editor that will replace the old editor throughout the entire site in all circumstances will be implemented. It is not currently present on the site. It will be similar to the "new editor" that you currently are able to see but it will have some additional functionality that is not currently available.
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian and Caretaker
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
  7. VERIFIED TG Head Custodian Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    58 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by stella_blue View Post

Only a year?

Ha! That's nothing.

I've been struggling with the Shoutbox Archive for more than twice that long (25 months).

Check it out:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/vbshout.php?do=archive&instanceid=1

The duplication of items would be laughable, if not for the tedium and frustration.

The shoutbox archive is not and was never intended for general user access. It was inadvertently exposed and made public through the initial Shoutbox implementation process. There has always been debate about eliminating it entirely. There is a reason that there is no formal link to it anywhere on the site. No representation was ever made about the Shoutbox log.

On your own, you started to use it for analytic purposes. Internal debate followed your use of the shoutbox in this way, as we were not inclined to permit others to scrape data like that.

With that being said, as head custodian I try to push transparency wherever I can, and there is an argument to be made in the validity of an independent external 3rd party running checks on the data/system. So the shoutbox log has at least remained in the state that it emerged at minium.

Since you have never formally proposed a function or relationship regarding your activity with the use of data from the log so that TG can understand or have some kind of expectation relating to your goals or intentions, it makes it challenging to spend money and prioritize "fixing" something that has never been intended to be fully functional in the first place.

For the most part the log seems to be something that you mess around with for your own purposes, which is fine - but I would hope that you would consider that the shoutbox log is not a feature or function that was ever promised to anyone before you place its current state of existence into a category of a promise that TG is neglecting.
    Jace Hall
    Head Custodian and Caretaker
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
    Thanks stella_blue thanked this post
  8. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,357
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jace Hall View Post
    A few items:

1.) The "full editor" is going away for numerous reasons.

2.) The new editor that will replace the old editor throughout the entire site in all circumstances will be implemented. It is not currently present on the site. It will be similar to the "new editor" that you currently are able to see but it will have some additional functionality that is not currently available.
    So, you're going to take away the "full editor" ... for numerous reasons? Joy. Pray, tell us the reasoning why we will lose the ability to do things like:

- Source mode toggle
    - Font type
    - Font size
    - Clipboard
    - Emoticons
    - Bullet lists
    - Attachment management

Because these are just a few of the features in the "full editor" that many of us rely on that are completely unavailable unless we right-click on a "reply" link in a thread right now. So, if the "new editor that you are currently able to see" is what you plan on using to take away the "full editor", you are removing a ton of incredibly useful features. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to know why that is?

Jamey Pittman
    The Pac-Man Dossier
  9. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,357
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    P.S., Removing the source mode toggle and the clipboard functionality is pretty much a slap in the face to me in terms of being one of the few people willing to take the time to prepare MAME analysis reports for this community, which is why I hollered bloody murder when your dev team recently effed up the right-click access to the "full editor".

Jamey Pittman
    The Pac-Man Dossier
  10. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 23,017
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    47 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jace
    For the most part the log seems to be something that you mess around with for your own purposes,
    It's true that Scott may be the only member to use that, but I'll bet that many members appreciate him doing that work and sharing with us!

john

Thanks stella_blue, creech, HugDD thanked this post
    Likes stella_blue, creech, jpittman, HugDD liked this post
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Join us