thread

NES / FAMICOM / DISK - Who Framed Roger Rabbit - NTSC - Fastest Completion - 06:00.0 - Matthew Felix

User Tag List

Is this a valid score?

This poll is closed
    This poll is closed
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
  1. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 23,017
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    47 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ninglendo
    It should be the timer starts when you press start at the title screen
    That's almost the exact thing that the rules state. It CAN'T get any clearer than what the rule states, that is, unless you're an excuse maker!

john

2. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,625
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninglendo View Post
    This is another case of somewhat poorly written rules. It should be the timer starts when you press start at the title screen and the timer ends when you deliver the final blow to the Judge IMO. A little tip too with this game... this game runs on seeds similar to games like Legend of Zelda. So depending on when you hit start to start a game matters a ton. It was previously thought that the game was completely random and you would have to reset over and over to get the perfect layout of items. Well about a year ago someone proved that this game has seeds so if you time it right you can get the perfect item layout every time.
    the issue at the moment seems to be which screen is the title screen the rules refer to? Is it the screen with text and black background or is it the screen with color and animation (that takes you to the screen with text and black background when you press start)? Which would you say it is?
  3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 23,017
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    47 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackflag82 View Post
    the issue at the moment seems to be which screen is the title screen the rules refer to? Is it the screen with text and black background or is it the screen with color and animation (that takes you to the screen with text and black background when you press start)? Which would you say it is?
    Stop patronising me, Patrick. We ALL know what a "title screen" is!

john

4. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,339
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: ninglendo
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Normally in speedruns and other communities the screen that you would start the timer would be the black screen with text. Sorry for another Zelda reference but with LoZ you would start the timer after you hit start on the save file and not the screen with the waterfall. Again this is what most other sites would do. With TG it's a different beast because I have saw rule sets that say timing starts when you gain control of the character and other tracks say when you hit start at the title screen. So I would say the happy medium with this game would be the black screen with text.
    Likes starcrytas, Blackflag82 liked this post
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,332
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: The_Cyriss_Zeal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    You really started to wallop him at the end of that fight. He couldn't even swing back.
    - DWH
    Likes starcrytas liked this post
  6. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,339
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: ninglendo
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent run!!!!!
    Thanks starcrytas thanked this post
  7. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 12,670
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: idesidious
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    65 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    You made it look easy.
    The Fisher King
    Likes starcrytas liked this post
  8. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,262
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone!

Saw this run thanks to the site's new Facebook-style notifications list. Looks like it did it's job!

Anyway, just to confirm what has been said by looking at my YouTube video, I timed my Roger Rabbit speed run as follows:

Start: Press Start on black selection screen.
    Stop: Judge Doom final blow just as he starts to float away.

The brick screen is NOT the starting point because pressing Start from there leads to the selection screen (just like in Legend of Zelda).

Also note that for the stopping point, don't wait for Judge Doom to "pop". Traditionally it's always "final blow" with TG speed runs (SDA uses other methods, such as loss of character control).

Hope this helps. Anyway, accepted. Nice job!
    Tom Votava
    http://rdrunner0077.blogspot.com/
    Thanks Blackflag82, starcrytas thanked this post
    Likes Blackflag82, starcrytas liked this post
  9. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 23,017
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    47 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTErdrunner]The brick screen is NOT the starting point because pressing Start from there leads to the selection screen (just like in Legend of Zelda).[/QUOTE]

Sorry, Tom, the "brick screen" IS the TITLE screen, hence the point that time should start, as per rules. Pointing out where you and Matt started is beside the point!
    Start: Press Start on black selection screen.
    Show me where in the rules is says that time starts when you have pressed START on the "black selection screen" ?

The start time here is the same as some Sonic runs, time starts on the title screen. There's no other way that an unbiased adjudicator can interpret that.

You both started time at the wrong spot. Two wrongs doesn't make you guys right!

john

10. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 6,602
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    64 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    OK, so having read through this thread and ONLY watching the "starting" point, this is again a discrepancy in rules and needs to be put in the tracks need updating post by TG. A title screen is the very first solid screen showing the game name. That's how I view it. Now, I also know that in ALL the speed runs I have ever watched online, the timer officially starts when the last start button is pressed to officially start the game/intro/whatever the case. So, while some are taking this title screen literally, and they are right, others are going off the traditional starting point. We are all right, and also so wrong. It's the track. No more need to go at one another.

I'm abstaining simply because the rules say "title screen". I know that's not what it should be like many of you have already mentioned. I'd actually ask TG to just remove this whole submission so no one takes a hit to that precious CR rating. The rules can be changed, and Matthew can add up the time accordingly.

Outside of my "Tracks are the lifeblood of TG and are the sole problem to all problems on TG", great run Matthew.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Join us