thread

Answers regarding Kaboom, Donkey Kong & Robert Mruczek

User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 86
  1. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,574
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Posts
    2,773
    Thanks (Received)
    780
    Likes (Received)
    1552
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    38
    Following
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by bitplayer View Post
    Axes to grind, everyone questioning his scores just dislikes him, they are all evil blah blah blah. . . . Pathetic
    EDIT: I am removing negative references to Mr David Yancey on this day of August 26th, 2017, due to my inaccurate recollection of his negative opinion towards myself and Twin Galaxies based on David clearing the air on the TG forum on this day



    RTM REPLY - actually I am not referring to "OmniGamer" at all...this comment that I made refers to Scott Stilphen exclusively.
    Last edited by RTM; 08-26-2017 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Editing to remove inaccurate recollection of David Yancey's involvement
  2. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,574
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Posts
    2,773
    Thanks (Received)
    780
    Likes (Received)
    1552
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    38
    Following
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by nads View Post
    would love to know what flight path Todd ran to get the 32:67.

    I haven't seen a time less than 32:74 and this includes a TAS run


    RTM REPLY - Well, it is always possible that either Brien King or Kelly Flewin retained the files that I transitioned to them when I left TG back on 12/19/06. If you are able to contact them, ask them for the data files relating to the Atari "time deca" that Robert ran. They are the only sources that would have the data results from this run as well as all other participants except for myself.

    My OWN submissions this event were sent to Ron Corcoran, and it is most unfortunate that probably 99% of the tapes sent to him are forever gone and we will likely never find out what happened to them...one of the biggest disasters in TG history.
    Thanks nads thanked this post
  3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,348
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    916
    Thanks (Received)
    572
    Likes (Received)
    1288
    Blog Entries
    60
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Follows
    27
    Following
    25
    @RTM do you believe the Dragster score to be legitimate?
  4. Junior Member Credibility: 1,000
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    5
    Thanks (Received)
    3
    Likes (Received)
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    2
    Following
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    RTM REPLY - actually I am not referring to "OmniGamer" at all...this comment that I made refers to Scott Stilphen and David Yancey exclusively.
    I'm not only referring to that but also various comments in the OP, and some older comments I've seen when I was reading about this before stumbling upon this thread. My point is it's just a deflection that carries no weight from and so if anything just looks suspicious. I'm shocked no one even seems to be addressing omnigamer who has done the most thorough investigation.
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,083
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    500
    Thanks (Received)
    280
    Likes (Received)
    863
    Blog Entries
    2
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: wescopeland
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Follows
    25
    Following
    5
    The Dragster time is 5.51 seconds.
    It probably took an hour to write this post.
    You have stated you can repeat the Dragster time at will.

    This means in 0.00002% of the effort that it took to write this post, all the controversy here could have been dispelled.

    There is very damning evidence that the Dragster time is not legitimate, and you've stated publicly it's within your means to dispel that evidence. Why don't you?

    I would like to believe the Dragster time is real, but you must understand it's an extraordinary leap of faith with everything the speedrunning community has put on the table.
    Thanks The Kombat King thanked this post
    Likes danman1234, The Kombat King, JasonV91 liked this post
  6. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,497


    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    808
    Thanks (Received)
    267
    Likes (Received)
    506
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: danman123456
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    55 Thread(s)
    Follows
    23
    Following
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    RTM REPLY - Hi Danman1234, I would like to respond on the first few points...

    1st - I'll never understand to this day how that was possible, to be honest...If I were personally going to spend time playing, for example, Atari 2600 "Space Invaders" game 1B daily and each day a friend and I leap-frogged over our previous day's record by 10K, that would personally irritate the heck out of me never mind waste my time in the process

    2nd - that was just to show the history of the TG management decision back then, nothing more implied

    3rd - this was to explain how Todd and I came to agree on the early decision regarding his 15M submission as a LOT of BS was posted publicly on the matter by two people with an axe to grind

    4th - one of the reasons this was posted was to corroborate the 32.67 he achieved in the time deca event...which I ran and personally verified...as his 32.67 was eliminated from the TG scoreboard in error
    Thanks Robert it was more of my assessment of the original post not from you. I agree with you on #1 above. #2 That's fine just saying ok. #3 That is cool but again the score is impossible. #4 Was that time deca an event everyone went to and competed on the same hardware or was that just something people did at home on their own console/carts?
    Dan Desjardins
  7. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,574
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Posts
    2,773
    Thanks (Received)
    780
    Likes (Received)
    1552
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    38
    Following
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by danman1234 View Post
    #4 Was that time deca an event everyone went to and competed on the same hardware or was that just something people did at home on their own console/carts?


    RTM REPLY - Hi Danman1234. The rules for the deca were established with the help of then TG staffer Ron Corcoran who was the worldwide Atari/Intellivision editor/referee. I ran the event and verified all scores submitted to me in AVI format or VHS format...as it turns out, every gamer submitted in AVI format save for one...myself. I had neither the hardware nor the skillset to record in that format, so I submitted my own scores in old-fashioned yet still predominantly the TG format for that era...VHS tape. My performances were shipped to Corcoran while I verified all others.

    Ron co-verified with one respect only...that the Stella emulator was used for all VIA submissions. Now, HOW he did that I never knew...I'm not a technical expert nor have I ever claimed to be. I trusted that he knew what he was doing. My role was to watch the performance, look for any gaffes/glitch abuse/etc, and if all looked well, collate the results with the others in the competition grid.

    While I was chief referee, protocol was to defer to the platform specialist for their expertise as a professional courtesy.
  8. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,574
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Posts
    2,773
    Thanks (Received)
    780
    Likes (Received)
    1552
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    38
    Following
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by DadsGlasses View Post
    @RTM do you believe the Dragster score to be legitimate?


    RTM REPLY - I've believed that Todd did that score since I think the very late 1990's when his presence was first made known to me, even before I was a TG staffer...I never had a reason to doubt it, to be honest. However, admittedly, I never saw it happen.

    It's like the 1M "Grand Slam" on arcade "Paperboy" by Phil Britt or the 32M TGTS "Star Wars" by David Palmer...I never saw either but I am 100% positive that these were done, especially after having the privilege to speak to each via conference call many years back while I was chief referee and with Walter on the line.

    Recent analysis by "Omnigamer" is compelling. No doubt.

    I've seen so many over-the-top performances over the years, including some never witnessed by anyone at TG as they were never submitted back in the day...someone completing arcade "Cliffhanger" while playing the entire game behind their back...a fellow high-school student's absolute mastery of arcade "Omega Race " so dominant that he was at the 4.5M mark on his 1st or 2nd life. There are many such recollections I have of watching video game mastery over the past 40+ years on the arcade, console, PC, hand-held and even pinball platforms.

    My personal best on Gameboy Tetris on Level 9 High 5 is more than 72K consisting of 6 Tetrads and a triple and I do not believe that anyone has even come close to that in TG history.

    I know these scores to be true. I know the gamers that achieved these scores. So I never take for granted certain claims or anecdotal evidence until the writing is on the wall that completely debunks it...like my own anecdote from a high school "Tempest" master who boasted about what happens on "Tempest" AFTER you finish level green 96. Imagine my embarrassment in regaling the TG forum with tales of the Orange, White and Rainbow stages that followed...how embarrassing :(

    Honestly, I have to believe the 5.51. I would be personally devastated if it were not so.
  9. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,348
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    916
    Thanks (Received)
    572
    Likes (Received)
    1288
    Blog Entries
    60
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Follows
    27
    Following
    25
    @RTM Thank you for your candid reply. I appreciate it.


    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    RTM REPLY - I've believed that Todd did that score since I think the very late 1990's when his presence was first made known to me, even before I was a TG staffer...I never had a reason to doubt it, to be honest. However, admittedly, I never saw it happen.

    It's like the 1M "Grand Slam" on arcade "Paperboy" by Phil Britt or the 32M TGTS "Star Wars" by David Palmer...I never saw either but I am 100% positive that these were done, especially after having the privilege to speak to each via conference call many years back while I was chief referee and with Walter on the line.

    Recent analysis by "Omnigamer" is compelling. No doubt.

    I've seen so many over-the-top performances over the years, including some never witnessed by anyone at TG as they were never submitted back in the day...someone completing arcade "Cliffhanger" while playing the entire game behind their back...a fellow high-school student's absolute mastery of arcade "Omega Race " so dominant that he was at the 4.5M mark on his 1st or 2nd life. There are many such recollections I have of watching video game mastery over the past 40+ years on the arcade, console, PC, hand-held and even pinball platforms.

    My personal best on Gameboy Tetris on Level 9 High 5 is more than 72K consisting of 6 Tetrads and a triple and I do not believe that anyone has even come close to that in TG history.

    I know these scores to be true. I know the gamers that achieved these scores. So I never take for granted certain claims or anecdotal evidence until the writing is on the wall that completely debunks it...like my own anecdote from a high school "Tempest" master who boasted about what happens on "Tempest" AFTER you finish level green 96. Imagine my embarrassment in regaling the TG forum with tales of the Orange, White and Rainbow stages that followed...how embarrassing :(

    Honestly, I have to believe the 5.51. I would be personally devastated if it were not so.
  10. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,348
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    916
    Thanks (Received)
    572
    Likes (Received)
    1288
    Blog Entries
    60
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Follows
    27
    Following
    25
    @RTM do you think that @toddrogers will resubmit to Twin Galaxies if this dispute is successful?


    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    RTM REPLY - I've believed that Todd did that score since I think the very late 1990's when his presence was first made known to me, even before I was a TG staffer...I never had a reason to doubt it, to be honest. However, admittedly, I never saw it happen.

    It's like the 1M "Grand Slam" on arcade "Paperboy" by Phil Britt or the 32M TGTS "Star Wars" by David Palmer...I never saw either but I am 100% positive that these were done, especially after having the privilege to speak to each via conference call many years back while I was chief referee and with Walter on the line.

    Recent analysis by "Omnigamer" is compelling. No doubt.

    I've seen so many over-the-top performances over the years, including some never witnessed by anyone at TG as they were never submitted back in the day...someone completing arcade "Cliffhanger" while playing the entire game behind their back...a fellow high-school student's absolute mastery of arcade "Omega Race " so dominant that he was at the 4.5M mark on his 1st or 2nd life. There are many such recollections I have of watching video game mastery over the past 40+ years on the arcade, console, PC, hand-held and even pinball platforms.

    My personal best on Gameboy Tetris on Level 9 High 5 is more than 72K consisting of 6 Tetrads and a triple and I do not believe that anyone has even come close to that in TG history.

    I know these scores to be true. I know the gamers that achieved these scores. So I never take for granted certain claims or anecdotal evidence until the writing is on the wall that completely debunks it...like my own anecdote from a high school "Tempest" master who boasted about what happens on "Tempest" AFTER you finish level green 96. Imagine my embarrassment in regaling the TG forum with tales of the Orange, White and Rainbow stages that followed...how embarrassing :(

    Honestly, I have to believe the 5.51. I would be personally devastated if it were not so.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Join us