Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Robert,

Atleast with the CV scores those should've been entered by me. Im pretty sure I remember watching your Miner tapes a long time ago - jealous as I was :)
    Thanks DadsGlasses, RTM thanked this post
  2. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,574
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by goochman View Post
    At least with the CV scores those should've been entered by me. Im pretty sure I remember watching your Miner tapes a long time ago - jealous as I was :)

RTM REPLY - Hi Stephen !! Not sure if you remember, but for that Atari/CV deca event, I did not event own a CV system until 35 days into the 60-day event (thank heaven for Ebay) or the respective carts (also thanks to Ebay).

I took to the games pretty quickly save for "Zaxxon" where I had a slow start. The "Miner" performance I at least had some experience on due to playing it on the old Atari 800 platform back in the early 1980's. I like the fact that the CV version had an 11th level, that was pretty cool. If I remember correctly it was discovered mid-event that the game awarded extra lives at some advanced threshold that was not previously known as no one had ever reached that high before.

I had the most fun with "Montezuma's Revenge" and made a series of maps of the pyramid layout to better memorize what to do as well as which areas NOT to enter (if you remember some were dead-ends and forced you to use up those valuable items so as to take a hit while not losing a life. If memory serves I nearly cleared the 8th level...only the upper 3 screens were visible that level and everything else below was invisible save for enemies and key/objects...that was quite the challenge !! Alan Hewston pushed me hard on that one but I had a breakway game at some point and cracked the 500K mark and then some.

"Mr Do" was not too bad. "Zaxxon" initially was a problem for me that event...I was at the 200K mark behind Ron's 800K but eventually I figured it out and blew past him with 2M and quit.

"Gorf" was the 5th title that event and only Ron and I were able to get past a certain point...I heard that other players could not so we agreed to stop at the 500K mark.

The Atari side of that Deca...I remember that "Wizard of Wor" was one inclusion and I hit the 300K mark, further than anyone else at the time. Can't quite remember the other 4 Atari titles, though. It's been awhile.
  3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Good times Robert - I believe one of the other Atari titles was Demon Attack. It was the first, and only, time I was called a cheater! I had a cart that didnt have the 84th wave limitation so everyone had like 500k for their score and since the scoring was weighted I decided to play up past 1M to help me gain in the standings. Right away people called foul on my score cause it seemed like I had the only working cart. Fortunately atleast 1 other player posted a higher score and we found out the dependency!

I still cant send a PM yet - but to add to some of the earlier conversations Id be happy to write my own experience with Ron and score submissions privately to Jace if he is interested.
    Thanks DadsGlasses thanked this post
    Likes DadsGlasses liked this post
  4. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,574
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Good times Robert - I believe one of the other Atari titles was Demon Attack. It was the first, and only, time I was called a cheater! I had a cart that didnt have the 84th wave limitation so everyone had like 500k for their score and since the scoring was weighted I decided to play up past 1M to help me gain in the standings. Right away people called foul on my score cause it seemed like I had the only working cart. Fortunately atleast 1 other player posted a higher score and we found out the dependency!

RTM REPLY - Stephen, you don't happen to have the results of that competition per-game, do you ? I was curious how I fared on that title. I have a game 7A score posted in July of 2002 of 515,515 but nothing for game 1B and I think we would have played 1B for the event yet I have no scores posted against that variation. I am guessing that this is another case of someone at TG screwing up either the score entry or the score transfer from database-to-database. A few of my Atari time deca results were lost as well from both myself and other games, and I entered all of those back in the day.
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    RTM REPLY - Stephen, you don't happen to have the results of that competition per-game, do you ? I was curious how I fared on that title. I have a game 7A score posted in July of 2002 of 515,515 but nothing for game 1B and I think we would have played 1B for the event yet I have no scores posted against that variation. I am guessing that this is another case of someone at TG screwing up either the score entry or the score transfer from database-to-database. A few of my Atari time deca results were lost as well from both myself and other games, and I entered all of those back in the day.
    From the timestamps I have - it appears I Re**d the CV entries in the 2000 Deca. The Demon Attack competition was part of the 1999 Deca of which I just have my scores.

Also for the 2000 Deca I dont see to have any screenshots from you - most likely that is due to you submitting tapes. I was also jealous of your Montezuma games on the CV. You and Tom Duncan owned pretty much all the CV stuff back then!
  6. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,574
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    From the timestamps I have - it appears I Re**d the CV entries in the 2000 Deca. The Demon Attack competition was part of the 1999 Deca of which I just have my scores.

Also for the 2000 Deca I dont see to have any screenshots from you - most likely that is due to you submitting tapes. I was also jealous of your Montezuma games on the CV. You and Tom Duncan owned pretty much all the CV stuff back then!

RTM REPLY - all my submissions were taped...other than MAME none of my submissions were ever in a digital format save for live event scores like those from ACAM and the nightly "cabin challenges" where I was accepting live submissions in my cabin as my guests and I competed on titles like that GameCube Loony Tunes Road Runner Challenge and the like.

Tom actually came on-board with respect to the CV platform after the Atari/CV deca event...I do not recall him as being one of the opponents. All that I remember, to be honest, were myself, Ron, yourself, Alan Hewston and that's it...after 15+ years my memory of the full extent of the challengers is unclear. Thankfully for many of the other deca-based events and the monthly MAME challenges some TG archive forum exists.

UNRELATED - in trying to search for the results of the event on Google I came across this link from 2000 to another Atari/CV Deca from year 2000...I did not participate in this one but Ron and Brien ran it back then - http://www.arcaderestoration.com/Articles/1/Events/66/CGE+2000.aspx
    Last edited by RTM; 08-27-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
Join us