thread

Dispute: Patrick Maher - Arcade - Marvel VS Capcom - Points [Tournament Settings] - Player: Adam Stombaugh - Score: 2120509

User Tag List

Is this a valid dispute?

This poll is closed
    This poll is closed
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
  1. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,401
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Due to the fact that a new track would simply be a "my buddy helped me get a max WR" track I vote for deleting the scores.
    Likes Fly liked this post
  2. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 7,878
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: snowflaketg
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    33 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    For reasons stated above I agree with deleted the score, not moving to a new track. I've done to marathons now, there's a misconception marathon's are only a measure of how long you can stay awake, this is not true. A tough game wears your brain down much faster than normally "just staying awake" would, also staying focused is harder than staying awake. In the case of a game though where you just have slap a button to stay alive, then it truly does just turn into a competition of how long you can stay awake. Let other places track the record for most hours awake, TG doesnt seem like the place for that.
    Mr. Do's Castle champ
    Lode Runner champ
    Other kid's games champ

Adult Games: Street Fighter champ
  3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,346
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: flyhec
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    89 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksett View Post
    It looks to me that the rule allowing join-ins should never have existed.

Rule probably added after score was set. The presence of ‘special rules’ supports this.

Each join in/buy in can give the Player 1 (P1) extra point if the joining P2 is defeated. That would be a lot of effort just to gain an extra 100 points, for example. But it could be used as an exploit to prevent P1 being killed if it looks like this is imminent.

I do not intend for the outcome of this dispute to automatically have the same effect on the other non-zero integer scores. There are not many and each would need its own dispute. But if we set a precedent with this dispute then it should make any other disputes on this track much simpler.

I am thinking of a possible scenario:

P1 starts and is doing pretty well. But then it looks like P1 may be defeated by AI.
    P1 then inserts a coin into the P2 slot and instigates a challenge. P2 is unmanned and just stands there to be dispatched by P1. P1 has avoided death and gets to carry on with +1 point.

P2 could also be a friend helping P1 get a record, so P2’s interest is not to win the challenge. This does not sound like a valid two-player game.

I am now not in favour of moving non-zero integer scores to a new track. I would prefer for them to be deleted and the join-in rule deleted.

This dispute did look simple at first but I applied the brakes while waiting to see if more disputes shed any light on similar issues.

We are almost there with this one – please could I have some opinion on the above, including whether or not my possible scenario is valid.
    Similar scenarios were mentioned earlier in the thread. Sorry we didn't elaborate much on it. But I'm almost certain everyone would like to see the non "00" scores gone, not just separated. Ultimately the final decision is your call.

What you describe is very possible and easily exploitable. I'd like to see the scores removed.

Hec
    If you need me, I'll be on the 7th floor.
    Likes The Kombat King, HAN liked this post
  4. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 5,027
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    63 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Yes the classic capcom game 1 point award for continuing or someone joining in. Delete this score from the db. Voting yes
  5. VERIFIED COMMISSIONER Credibility: 8,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone for all the expert input on this one.

Based on the rationale and evidence above we are removing this score. The 'join-in on' rule should never have been added and we will remove this rule also.

This dispute has taken longer to resolve than we all thought initially, but I believe we finally got to the bottom of the issue. If anyone wants to dispute the other non-zero integer scores on this track, this case will make their resolutions more simple.
    Thanks Fly thanked this post
    Likes Fly liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Join us