thread

Dispute: Jeremy Young - Arcade - Robotron: 2084 - Marathon - Player: Brian King - Score: 348691680

User Tag List

Is this a valid dispute?

You may not vote on this poll
    You have no permission to view/vote this poll.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Dispute: Jeremy Young - Arcade - Robotron: 2084 - Marathon - Player: Brian King - Score: 348691680

07-25-2017, 11:53 PM
    Arcade - Robotron: 2084 - Marathon
    Score Track//www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=1456
    RulesExtra Men Every: 25000 Points
    Turns Per Player: 3
    High Score To Date: Yes
    Difficulty Of Play: 5
    Letters For Highest Score: 3
    Player NameBrian King
    Original AdjudicationN/A
    Verification MethodReferee
    Verification Date1983-06-29
    Disputed Score348691680 (Rank 1)
    Disputed Byxelnia
    Dispute Evidence / RationaleA score ending in 80 is not possible in Robotron. Scoring can only be done in multiples of 25. Whether a typo, deliberate falsification, or something else, this score is not achievable and is thus invalid.
  2. 07-26-2017, 02:38 AM
    Got him Phillip
  3. 07-26-2017, 04:12 AM
    This one is the worst of the worst. I have my fears that we will see a lot of disputes revolving around the "I can't do it, so it's not legitimate" ilk but this particular dispute literally cannot be achieved because no score can end in these digits. It has nothing to do with skill (although marathoning this game to the tune of 350m is a separate issue), nothing to do with any glitch abuse, nothing to do with any grey area process.

No score can end in these 2 digits. Easy remove.
    Currently Playing: Front Page Sports baseball '98 (PC) (using custom built 2017 rosters)
    Thanks CaptainJivePants thanked this post
    Likes timhett, Snowflake liked this post
  4. 07-26-2017, 05:47 AM
    Has anyone ever asked Brian King about the score?

https://www.facebook.com/brian.king3
  5. 07-26-2017, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastaar View Post
    Has anyone ever asked Brian King about the score?

https://www.facebook.com/brian.king3
    I don't think there is much to ask. The score ends in 80, which 1 credit drop by someone who has never played the game before can prove out to be impossible, is entered into the db. As Jeremy states, whether it was intentional, unintentional, a typo, etc, is irrelevant, it's an unused digit value and therefore an invalid score.
    Currently Playing: Front Page Sports baseball '98 (PC) (using custom built 2017 rosters)
    Thanks DadsGlasses, JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender liked this post
  6. 07-26-2017, 06:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pwnasaurus View Post
    I don't think there is much to ask.
    Wow........just......wow....
  7. 07-26-2017, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Blastaar View Post
    Wow........just......wow....
    The same reaction anyone who has ever been curious about what the Robotron WR was has had upon checking out this db.
    Thanks CaptainJivePants thanked this post
  8. 07-26-2017, 07:07 AM
    If the digit question isn't enough, let's look more at the score. 348 million. There have been several Robotron marathons recently with the aim to reach 100 million. It takes an expert player between 21 and 24 hours or so for 100 million. So it would have taken almost 3 days to make 348 million. Also there are glitches in the game that would make it harder to avoid a reset. The two glitches are the enforcer reset bug where the game can reset if an enforcer is killed next the side wall, especially in the corner. The other glitch is if you get more than 255 lives, they reset back to zero lives, only keeping the active life. Sure, it's just speculation, but it's highly unlikely that someone could play for 3 days, with no enforcer reset, and no lives rollover. It's an extremely demanding game, physically... Not impossible, but... pretty unlikely. I'll also throw in that in the early days of TG they allowed "stitched" scores, which would of course not be acceptable today.
    But forget all of that, the number itself is impossible in this game.
    Thanks JJT_Defender thanked this post
    Likes JJT_Defender, ZAP liked this post
  9. 07-26-2017, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by timhett View Post
    I'll also throw in that in the early days of TG they allowed "stitched" scores, which would of course not be acceptable today.
    I'm not familiar with this term. What is a stitched score?
  10. 07-26-2017, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sdwyer138 View Post
    I'm not familiar with this term. What is a stitched score?
    A series of mini-marathons achieved on separate credits rather than 1 credit, whereby the final score is the combination of the scores that resulted from the multiple credits. Typically, not because the gamer is incapable of performing at an extremely high level on said game, but due to some in game bug that causes resets, possible fatigue or some other factor that would result in it being highly unlikely to play a continuous game.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Join us