thread

Dispute: Marc Cohen - Sega Genesis / Sega Mega Drive - Pac-Mania - NTSC - Points - Player: Ron Corcoran - Score: 4,451,480

User Tag List

Is this a valid dispute?

This poll is closed
    This poll is closed
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 14,111
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: marcamy_1029
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    28 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Dispute: Marc Cohen - Sega Genesis / Sega Mega Drive - Pac-Mania - NTSC - Points - Player: Ron Corcoran - Score: 4,451,480

Sega Genesis / Sega Mega Drive - Pac-Mania - NTSC - Points
    Score Trackhttp://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=3632
    RulesGame Type: 1 Player
    Game Difficulty: Normal
    Pac Booster: Off
    Special Rules: You may freely choose any available starting level. Continues are NOT permitted!
    Player NameRon Corcoran
    Original AdjudicationN/A
    Verification MethodReferee
    Verification Date2001-05-13
    Disputed Score4,451,480 (Rank 1)
    Disputed ByMarcade
    Dispute Evidence / RationaleThe 4.4 million score is mathematically and outright impossible to achieve, due to the game having a complete ending after the round 19 level. My video attached here (purposely playing on easy/booster-on settings for the sole purpose only to show the proof of ending)

My only simple conclusion I can come up with, is that self-verifying referee Ron Corcoran pressed down that "4" button a few seconds to long, ( accidentally giving himself a "double 4" in the data entry) as he didnt double check his error afterwards. As I mentioned in the beginning of the video, during the time of my own submission back in 2009, former Genesis referee Tom Votova agreed with me, as I showed similar proof like this before via VHS tape, as it was once removed (deleted appearance invisible from the scoreboard, but never purged) After Pete Bouvier sold TG to Adler and his crew, that (last) ownership erroneously reinstated a lot of these successful challenged scores from the era prior to them. This specific one was among them. Terence O' Neill @RaGe ...former referee, expert, and competitor of this game on this Genesis track, as well as NES, and C64, concurs with this challenge as well.
    Thanks HugDD thanked this post
    Likes datagod, RaGe, HugDD liked this post
  2. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 44,350

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Marc covered it all perfectly. There's an ending, so it's just not possible. Grabbing every bit of points possible (all the highest ghost point values when eaten quickly, all of the prizes) still doesn't crack one million points.
    Thanks HugDD, Marcade thanked this post
  3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,298
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I'm afraid this is not correct. You can restart play with your score intact. Please see my video.

I have executed this twice now, with some odd combination of A, B, and Start all together.

Full disclosure on my video: I am terrible at this game so I used the level select code to get to board 19, and I used the Game Genie for infinite lives.

4. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,298
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Ok I did it a couple more times, and I just pressed the A button only.

Two observations:
    1) It wouldn't immediately accept the A button, it took a few seconds of being on that screen before my button push was accepted. This is what initially caused me to push combinations of buttons as mentioned in my above post.
    2) Marc, your game ends with no lives left over. Perhaps you have to have at least one life remaining to restart?
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,298
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I realize my first video is kinda hard to see, so I made another one:

6. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 14,111
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: marcamy_1029
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    28 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sdwyer138 View Post
    2) Marc, your game ends with no lives left over. Perhaps you have to have at least one life remaining to restart?
    There is no restart after board 19, playing under normal conditions.
    With a game genie and its cheat codes, I wouldnt know, as I dont own one and wouldnt know where to begin. (Stage 18 I guess) ;)

http://www.gamegenie.com/cheats/game...pac_mania.html
  7. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,298
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I agree that a Game Genie is not normal playing conditions. However, It would seem odd to me that a GG code, that affects lives, some how is also enables you to keep playing and retain your score, considering that, independently of using a GG: A) The score has a place for the millions digit, and B) The game tells you that you can keep going.

The are some youtube videos with scores of 1.3M (no restart) and 1.9M (with restart, but oddly no end screen before the restart). Both of which were performed on Vizzed.com, which I understand is also not normal playing conditions (in-browser emu).

I'm not saying I strongly feel that Ron's score is valid, but I feel that there is evidence that you can restart after the end screen and that you can break 1M points.
  8. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 7,839
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: snowflaketg
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    33 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sdwyer138 View Post
    I agree that a Game Genie is not normal playing conditions. However, It would seem odd to me that a GG code, that affects lives, some how is also enables you to keep playing and retain your score, considering that, independently of using a GG: A) The score has a place for the millions digit, and B) The game tells you that you can keep going.

The are some youtube videos with scores of 1.3M (no restart) and 1.9M (with restart, but oddly no end screen before the restart). Both of which were performed on Vizzed.com, which I understand is also not normal playing conditions (in-browser emu).

I'm not saying I strongly feel that Ron's score is valid, but I feel that there is evidence that you can restart after the end screen and that you can break 1M points.
    one test to see if the game genie has other effects is to also bring your lives down to the same value. If all conditions are identical, and you still restart, you will have demonstrated an additional difference caused by the game genie.
    Mr. Do's Castle champ
    Lode Runner champ
    Other kid's games champ

Adult Games: Street Fighter champ
  9. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,298
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    one test to see if the game genie has other effects is to also bring your lives down to the same value. If all conditions are identical, and you still restart, you will have demonstrated an additional difference caused by the game genie.
    Good thinking.

I have played it again. This time using the same level select code to start on board 19, but using a different GG code to give me only 10 lives. I ended the game with no additional lives. I was still able to continue play with my same score.
  10. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 44,350

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    36 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting. I'm not sure what to think now regarding being able to continue after board 19.

But, the submitter's history of scores that were removed from the database in the past due to being false claims / wrong settings (some removed by myself) draws immediate attention to this extremely high score for this game, if played under correct settings. I always figured that if he did progress past 19 somehow, he played on "Easy" and used the Pac booster.

That said, there's no way to prove it. Even though I "know" he didn't get this score, I believe this has to fall into the "Just because you can't do it, doesn't mean it can't be done" category. It has to fall into that category, for all the legit "crazy scores" on here. If you're someone who has a ridiculously high score on a game, achieved legitimately-- if someone questioned it years down the road, you wouldn't want to lose that score...just because some random dude can't achieve it. Dave is judging this way. He's looking for unquestionable evidence to remove a score. That's why, as much as I hate to do it, I'm going to remove my vote.

Sorry Marc. I thought we'd finally get this score out (at least there will always be a "dispute" next to it). Let's pretend his score doesn't exist. You're in first place!
    Thanks Dave Hawksett thanked this post
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Join us