thread

Dispute: Matthew Felix - Game Boy / Game Boy Color - The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Fastest Completion - Player: Rodrigo Lopes - Score: 01:22:57.0

User Tag List

Is this a valid dispute?

This poll is closed
    This poll is closed
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
  1. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 6,587
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    64 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Soooooo since I was really laying it on about how SGB should be banned about 2 months ago, I suppose this a yes vote from me. Now, I have no idea about all the randomness going on in the thread. So here are my thoughts on ALL SGB submitted speed runs. It is a fact the SGB runs a bit faster than playing on a handheld Game Boy.. I am OK adjusting ALL scores to match the hardware performance of the original GameBoy hardware. I think it was 2.4% or something. I can see some of the scores being done without this knowledge. So to avoid arguing over it, just adjust every score and be done with it. Obviously f it's the actual gameplay being disputed and not the time, that's a different matter. So yes for the dispute, OK adjusting the time to match the handheld Game Boys hardware speed.
    Likes starcrytas liked this post
  2. VERIFIED COMMISSIONER Credibility: 8,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Has anyone considered asking for SGB to be a separate platform? It allows you to use a bigger screen, which could give an advantage. It is a different set of hardware which has an effect on performance. This could be simpler than having to add a multiplier to each score.
  3. VERIFIED Honored Veteran Credibility: 27,376

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: barthax
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    48 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksett View Post
    Has anyone considered asking for SGB to be a separate platform? It allows you to use a bigger screen, which could give an advantage. It is a different set of hardware which has an effect on performance. This could be simpler than having to add a multiplier to each score.
    It would cause further confusion to the already munged set of options for score-based GB submissions. A player may already use GB/GBC/GBA/DS/SGB and Game Boy Player (Game Cube) for all score submissions. The only exemption to that mix is the SGB for speed runs.

An extension of the thought, however, would be a separate track for SGB speed-runs of this particular track.

Are you on my radar?
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
  4. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 18,336
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: starcrytas
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    61 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Score runs for GB/GBC games have always been allowed.

What if we edit all speedrun track rules to include:
    "Use of Super Game Boy is banned because it runs the game 2.4% faster"

Any times on the leaderboards should be adjusted unless they were proven to be done on a GB/GBC/GBA/GB Player.

Not sure how in-game time speedruns such as Metroid II would be handled.
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 6,587
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    64 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksett View Post
    I did bring this up but it never got attention from the staff. Likely for the reasons mentioned below. You can already submit everything with so many other devices. I just ordered a GameCube Gameboy player and disc yesterday in fact. Honestly, I would be OK allowing the SGB as long as it's stated you your score will incur a 2.4% increase to your time to make up for hardware inconsistency. Then again, it's easier just to ban it for speed runs.
  6. VERIFIED COMMISSIONER Credibility: 8,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    We will open a new track which allows the use of a SGB and move the score to there. Rules will be updated to permit the SGB in one track but not the other.

This dispute has been accepted, thanks for all the input here.
    Likes Barthax, starcrytas liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Join us