thread

Dispute: Dick Moreland - Atari 2600 / VCS - Dragster - NTSC - Game 1, Difficulty B [Fastest Time] - Player: Todd Rogers - Score: 05.51

User Tag List

Is this a valid dispute?

You may not vote on this poll
    You have no permission to view/vote this poll.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11
  1. VERIFIED Honored Veteran Credibility: 31,461

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: barthax
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    39 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by D.B. Cooper View Post
    I'm not sure it's exactly the same thing but today while doing research I found something called Dragster Automatic Shifting (Hack). Not only does it shift for you, it makes it so you can't blow your engine. Within just a few minutes of messing with this hack I was able to get a 4.50. This may help you with analyzing the code but I don't think it does much to prove if 5.51 is possible.
    I have no idea what's in this hack but I do know from many hours of Dragster gaming that the speed of clutch release is one of the main aspects of the game. If this hack only performs a rapid gear change then this is superb proof over and above any other conjecture presented. However, this is also not proof of anything.
    My vote remains No - this is not a valid dispute.

Are you on my radar?
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
  2. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: sprinter461
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Omnigamer View Post
    If it's the responsibility of TG to defend the existing score, I'd like for someone representing TG to provide as much supporting evidence for this score as currently exists. The current listing claims it was verified by referee; I would like to know which referee, as well as the date and location it occurred. If the Activision newsletters were instead used as a referee by proxy, please also confirm that.

This was discussed somewhat in the other thread, but I don't think there was a conclusion from that, since it seems like the score wasn't actually added to TG's database until at least the late 90s. Shedding some light on the details surrounding its verification can help here.
    This score was questioned by Activision. It was considered invalid. Until Todd replicated it live, in front of Activision employee. Activision and the game programmer himself validated the score. This was before Twin Galaxies existed.

Realize when Twin Galaxies physically closed in the 80's, it changed hands a number of times...I'm not going to sit here and go thru the entire back story of everything that happened. Short, short version, Twin Galaxies scoreboard in the 80's was a spiral notebook. That notebook was thrown in the trash at one point, and all historical scores were lost.

Walter Day personally spent an entire afternoon in my home somewhere in the late 90's, going thru every book, every magazine I owned, and had kept, recording all the scores listed in all of them. This was how the scoreboard was reborn. I am certain I was not the only source, and Walter took scores from any and everywhere he could find them at this point. That method was *referee* since Walter was in fact the ONLY Twin Galaxies employee at that time.

As for this challenge it's not valid.

I won't claim to completely understand the spreadsheet and TAS, and don't really care to. This score was scrutinized to a higher level than any score ever submitted to Twin Galaxies at any time of it's existence. It was validated by the game Publisher and programmer. And again this was before Twin Galaxies was in existence and/or known to the gamer. This was pre-internet. I know of no other instance where a score, any score, was held to this level.

My personal opinion is, if Todd convinced the makers of the game that his score was real and legit, and he did, then this is a true score. No computer program is going to change my mind.
    there he goes, one of god's own prototypes... a high powered mutant of some kind,
    never even considered for mass production... too weird to live, and too rare to die...

Buy the Ticket... Take the Ride...
    Likes Barthax liked this post
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11