thread

Dispute: John McAllister - Arcade - Kick / Kick Man - Points - Player: Steve Farmer - Score: 8,519,300

User Tag List

Is this a valid dispute?

You may not vote on this poll
    You have no permission to view/vote this poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. 08-28-2017, 03:54 PM
    Here's a video of Don's perfromance.
  2. A Words From Steve Farmer

01-31-2018, 07:02 PM
    First of all, I think it is awesome that people care so much about video games. Especially, one as ancient as Kickman.
    This record was set during a publicity event for the opening of a new video game parlor. The event was officiate by referees from Twin Galaxies. Several records were set including one for defender which did not end up standing. This score was set using the proper fashion. I was given one chance to set the record and if it didn't happen I was SOL. I would like to respond to some of the comments I have seen. Yes, there is a kill screen, but when you are a video game obsessed 12 year old the new challenge becomes getting the most points possible before the kill screen. With these old video games there were ways to rack up points that you could only find by trying countless variations. I played this game every day and would dream about playing it at night. In regard to the the rules being somehow skewed, I would like to point out that most of the top records were all created with about a year of each other so the rules for them were probably the same for me.

BTW After setting this record, I got a huge blister on my right thumb from the tracking ball.

I do appreciate the gusto that you all go after the truth,

Steve Farmer
    Thanks Barthax thanked this post
  3. 01-31-2018, 08:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spartancoyote View Post
    First of all, I think it is awesome that people care so much about video games. Especially, one as ancient as Kickman.
    This record was set during a publicity event for the opening of a new video game parlor. The event was officiate by referees from Twin Galaxies. Several records were set including one for defender which did not end up standing. This score was set using the proper fashion. I was given one chance to set the record and if it didn't happen I was SOL. I would like to respond to some of the comments I have seen. Yes, there is a kill screen, but when you are a video game obsessed 12 year old the new challenge becomes getting the most points possible before the kill screen. With these old video games there were ways to rack up points that you could only find by trying countless variations. I played this game every day and would dream about playing it at night. In regard to the the rules being somehow skewed, I would like to point out that most of the top records were all created with about a year of each other so the rules for them were probably the same for me.

BTW After setting this record, I got a huge blister on my right thumb from the tracking ball.

Steve Farmer
    Wow this literally says nothing about how this person scored twice as much as other games. We all know about former refs now so that alone isnt enough anymore. IMO There needs to be something more here than "I was an obsessed 12 year old" how about explaining HOW you get 4 million points more than anyone else in this game?
    Dan Desjardins
  4. 01-31-2018, 08:12 PM

Steve Farmer
    Hi Steve and welcome to the forums

Thanks for taking the time to comment here
    Could you elaborate at all about your point pressing techniques? I know it’s been a while! Any information you provide would help us here

Cheers
  5. 02-01-2018, 05:51 AM
    With these old video games there were ways to rack up points that you could only find by trying countless variations.
    Variations like playing as both player 1 & 2 and adding the scores together at the end? Because there is no other way to rack up 8,000,000 points on this game.
  6. 02-07-2018, 06:09 PM
    Kick/Kickman uses the gfx image below for the 100,000th digit. starts with where you see the 0, then after 9 you start getting those weird graphics...until you start the alphabet. I used to just know that D=20 , N=30, and x=40. In other words, if your score is X98450, that would be 4,098,450. After Z you get the next graphic after z. When I used to play in early 80's this I would always get the killscreen around Y and Z.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Marks
    Jupiter, FL
    Thanks Barra, Barthax thanked this post
  7. 02-09-2018, 09:08 AM
    The score does not appear in the 1998 TG book, nor does the current second place. The top score in the ’98 book is Tom Bundy’s current third place.

However it does appear in the 2009 third edition and is listed as having been set at the Cosmic Palace arcade in El Sobrante CA. TG High Score Rally is given as the verification method. Does anyone have a good theory as to why it appeared in one and not the other?
    @spartancoyote

Hi Steve,

It would be great if you could provide some insight into how you achieved this score. We appreciate your coming here and posting about it.
    Dave Hawksett
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
    Likes Barra liked this post
  8. 02-10-2018, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksett View Post
    The score does not appear in the 1998 TG book, nor does the current second place. The top score in the ’98 book is Tom Bundy’s current third place.

However it does appear in the 2009 third edition and is listed as having been set at the Cosmic Palace arcade in El Sobrante CA. TG High Score Rally is given as the verification method. Does anyone have a good theory as to why it appeared in one and not the other?
    Prior to 2004 the scores of the scoreboard were in different places - many on paper only. Brien King's 2004 database allowed the import of scores and so many scores were steadily added to a single database. The 2009 book was based on a data dump from that database. Note: I remember multiple invalid scores were caught being imported during this period (such as all the Nintendo Power scores which are largely bogus) - those caught were removed. However, just because some were caught doesn't mean all were caught (and that doesn't mean this score was bogus by association).

Are you on my radar?
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Join us