thread

Dispute: Jeremy Young - Arcade - Donkey Kong - Points [Hammer Allowed] - Player: Billy L Mitchell - Score: 1,062,800

User Tag List

Is this a valid dispute?

You may not vote on this poll
    You have no permission to view/vote this poll.
Page 142 of 142 FirstFirst ... 42 92 132 140 141 142
Results 1,411 to 1,418 of 1418
  1. Yesterday, 08:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    RTM REPLY - Agree. To some players there may be a satisfaction to beating a rival not just once by dramatically doubling or tripling their score, but to beat them multiple times over the course of however long the rivalry lasted for.

    Of course in DK there is no "doubling" of a rival's score, but if in a limited point-based game you have the skill to pull off a 1.1M from all indications of past performances and yet keep the dance going with these marginal victories, that's just milking it for the sake of attention.

    Think about all the "mystique" that would have been avoided had Bill revealed what could have been a 1.125 million point game WAY back in 2005 as opposed to intentionally dumping points to produce an equally intentional 1,047,200.

    And the same can be said of the 1.014M from 2004...in Bill's own words he called Steve to congratulate him about his own 1.006M BUT Bill also mentioned that his own 1.014M was done a full year earlier. That is just so uncool on so many levels. Playground pettiness.

    And had Bill done just that...NO media attention for 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, etc, all up until one of today's top DK players formally broke the 1.1M mark many years later.

    So based on that, I do agree with your assessment. It makes a lot of sense.
    This is interesting, we're analyzing psychology now, which is never perfect, but still interesting. And its not like Billy doesnt understand how to work the public. He runs a business. He knows how to advertise. He knows how to appeal to the public. He knows how to get appearances and make sure he gets other appearances. Despite trying to convince people he's some sort of bumbling fool, he's clearly quite good at knowing how to keep the focus on him. So considering he has established this skill for years, its not hard at all to believe everything both of you say above is true. This was just another case of Billy using his people skills (but not his gaming skills) to promote himself.
    Mr. Do's Castle champ
    Lode Runner champ
    Other kid's games champ

    Adult Games: Street Fighter champ
  2. Yesterday, 09:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by erockbrox View Post
    After seeing the evidence, I believe that Billy needs to make an apology to Twin Galaxies and the gaming community.
    I've come to the notion that if Billy's lips are moving, he is lying. I wouldn't believe any apology for one second. I'd rather there not even be an attempt of apologizing. He might, creates more drama.
  3. Yesterday, 10:01 PM
    i think its time to Write a Letter to all the people i knowingly ***** over the past 10 years :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN9gQn6WRco
  4. Today, 01:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    RTM REPLY - Agree. To some players there may be a satisfaction to beating a rival not just once by dramatically doubling or tripling their score, but to beat them multiple times over the course of however long the rivalry lasted for.

    Of course in DK there is no "doubling" of a rival's score, but if in a limited point-based game you have the skill to pull off a 1.1M from all indications of past performances and yet keep the dance going with these marginal victories, that's just milking it for the sake of attention.

    Think about all the "mystique" that would have been avoided had Bill revealed what could have been a 1.125 million point game WAY back in 2005 as opposed to intentionally dumping points to produce an equally intentional 1,047,200.

    And the same can be said of the 1.014M from 2004...in Bill's own words he called Steve to congratulate him about his own 1.006M BUT Bill also mentioned that his own 1.014M was done a full year earlier. That is just so uncool on so many levels. Playground pettiness.

    And had Bill done just that...NO media attention for 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, etc, all up until one of today's top DK players formally broke the 1.1M mark many years later.

    So based on that, I do agree with your assessment. It makes a lot of sense.
    I also agree with this, even if the scores were genuine, the manner with which it was all done shows a total lack of class. However, if he hadn't had the media attention in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 etc, then would the Donkey Kong community and the current world record be where it is today? Almost certainly not. So while any cheating needs to be met with the appropriate response and I'm not suggesting we go light on Billy, let's not forget the great scene that has risen up from these actions.
  5. Today, 07:13 AM
    To contribute to the body of evidence, I connected my own DK PCB to my capture card with a direct feed setup. I'm using a sync strike and a Gonbes scaler board. This is a totally different capture setup than what Chris Gleed has, yet yielded the same results.







    Thanks swaggers, Sqrlmonger, sprinter461, gavv, timhett and 8 others thanked this post
    Likes Barthax, serphintizer, Muerto, d3scride, CWK and 6 others liked this post
  6. Today, 07:59 AM
    I spoke with Walter and showed him the ironclad evidence of the blue cap in the DK board swap video. Walter didn't have anything to say about it specifically, but just claimed he was "certain" Billy never used MAME. He did say that he would treat whatever official conclusions come out with an open mind, so there's that at least.
  7. Today, 08:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    This is interesting, we're analyzing psychology now, which is never perfect, but still interesting. And its not like Billy doesnt understand how to work the public. He runs a business. He knows how to advertise. He knows how to appeal to the public. He knows how to get appearances and make sure he gets other appearances. Despite trying to convince people he's some sort of bumbling fool, he's clearly quite good at knowing how to keep the focus on him. So considering he has established this skill for years, its not hard at all to believe everything both of you say above is true. This was just another case of Billy using his people skills (but not his gaming skills) to promote himself.


    RTM REPLY - most people don't know this, but will is has a longtime track record of "sticking it" to certain people, even if in jest.

    I am referring to something that dates WAY back to early 1999 when, at the first ACAM event (which I attended) Rick Fothergill achieved a then-record of 3,333,270 on classic arcade "Pacman", missing 9 hidden dots due to a life loss.

    Bill said that at the very bottom of his printed posters there are 9 dots there as a "friendly jab" against Rick Fothergill.

    Clearly this is a good natured jab, and a recurring one, but it also goes to show that he is not opposed to rubbing it in to someone, thus the 1,100 point beat and the 100,000 point beat on DK. There is no other gamer I can think of that engages in such nonsense.
  8. Today, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bounty bob View Post
    ...I'm not suggesting we go light on Billy, let's not forget the great scene that has risen up from these actions.


    RTM REPLY - the parallel here is the MLB and the "Home Run Derby" between Mark Maguire and "Slammin" Sammy Sosa.

    A lot of media hooplah and interest was generated that particular year even in light of the steroid-based accomplishments.

    However, did the MLB expunge all records established by the two ? Or for any of the other steroid-abusers ? No. Were their pensions taken away ? No.

    Further, in the MLB and unlike Billy playing DK, the actions of a single individual change the outcome on a team, division and league level, yet those outcomes were neither vacated nor was any associated decision rendered accordingly.

    In Billy's case, if, as an individual, his alleged MAME-related actions are proven true, that would have the impact of affecting TG as a business on a number of levels as well.
Page 142 of 142 FirstFirst ... 42 92 132 140 141 142
Join us