thread

Dispute: Matthew Felix - NES / FAMICOM / DISK - Home Alone - NTSC - Points - Player: Marc Merica - Score: 141,340

User Tag List

Is this a valid dispute?

You may not vote on this poll
    You have no permission to view/vote this poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 18,423
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: starcrytas
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    61 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Dispute: Matthew Felix - NES / FAMICOM / DISK - Home Alone - NTSC - Points - Player: Marc Merica - Score: 141,340

NES / FAMICOM / DISK - Home Alone - NTSC - Points
    Score Trackhttp://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=3446
    Rules1 Life Only!
    Special Rules: If you get caught by Marv or Harry or you beat the game, your game is over. The final score will be displayed before it goes back to the title screen.
    Since the ending scene of the game continues to give points until manually passed, Twin Galaxies will be enforcing a strict five second time limit on the final screen, timed by stopwatch from the second it comes on-screen.
    Gamer MUST go to the final score screen in no longer than this five second window or risk disqualification.
    The maximum score using known scoring techniques and maxing out the five second window is 141,340
    Player NameMarc Merica
    Original AdjudicationN/A
    Verification MethodVideo
    Verification Date2011-01-11
    Disputed Score141,340 (Rank 1)
    Disputed Bystarcrytas
    Dispute Evidence / RationaleMarc Merica is not a real person.
    I could not find any reference to anyone named Marc Merica anywhere. No Facebook, no Twitter, no YouTube, nothing.
    Only reference is Twin Galaxies.

Patrick Scott Patterson is the referee who supposedly approved this score along with Rudy J Ferretti's score. Coincidentally, both scores of 141,340 were received and approved on the same day.
    http://www.twingalaxies.com/showthre...e-Co-Champions

In the past, 141,290 was the maximum possible score, but somehow 20 more points were scored.
    http://www.twingalaxies.com/showthre...CE-in-November

Later on, there was a rule amendment to allow for the maximum score to be 141,340
    http://www.twingalaxies.com/showthre...ules-amendment

A few things to point out:
    -Marc Merica HAD to be made up.
    -The rules changed happened after 141,290 was indeed proven to be maxed before the 5 seconds time limit on the final screen rule amendment.
    -Patterson clearly did not do research into Home Alone to know about the scoring on this game.
    Thanks CONSOLEPLAYEROFTHECENTURY thanked this post
    Likes CONSOLEPLAYEROFTHECENTURY liked this post
  2. VERIFIED Member Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Could you explain your rationale for this person not existing in more detail?

Evidence for not existing: (That you are unable to find Facebook, Twitter or Youtube accounts.) seems to be trivially overturned by the fact that they are capable of making submissions to TG?
    Thanks RedM thanked this post
  3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,015
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Not a valid dispute.
    Thanks RedM thanked this post
  4. VERIFIED Honored Veteran Credibility: 27,463

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: barthax
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    48 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I found more than one Marcus Mercia.

Are you on my radar?
    I'd rather be last on every game than throw my time away chasing only one score.
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,682
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    It's also worth noting that the supposed score was not actually a max since it was discovered the score continues accumulating in the credits screen. Since there were no rules for this part of the scoring, new ones were established and new scores were submitted. It was another TG member who made this discovery after the higher score was submitted. This is all included in one of the above linked threads.

Furthermore, Marc Merica has over a dozen scores in the database of which at least one beats a PSP score and predates the Home Alone score by over a year.
  6. VERIFIED BANNED FOR POOR BEHAVIOR Credibility: 2,589
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    45 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I cannot see the responses from these unworthy people BUT, It was fwd to me!!!!!!

Here it goes #1 Merica is FAKE there may be a person that submitted or patterson created both the forum and submission
    #2 The person in question DOES not have dozens of scores
    #3 All 3 including Home Alone were cheated or TAS
    Rad Racer give me a break
    Home Alone was over the count and patterson said it was a secret AFTER I called nintendo to do his job because he was a lazy bum to say the least, proved him a liar and than the rules get changed, just like jaws, elevator action, and the list grows
    Pinball it maxes out YET his score beats the max REALLY?????

There is no proof he is a real person and there is NO proof of any scores
    just like Jack Weirs
    and of course BLAND

Here is goes

Marc Merica = America in scrambles
    Ryan Bland = Lyan brand and his Nightmare Time is a scramble of my time
    Jack Weirs = Brett Weir ? hmmmm Weirs Beach????

Funny all 3 of these people NEVER SPOKE SUBMITTED BEFORE OR AFTER except Merica
    and even funnier all 3 Submitted on my scores NOBODY PLAYS????
    wait even better Patrick Verified the scores on all THREE of these fakes
    Oh it gets better All 3 submitted a week before or same day as me ???

Except Nightmare that was planned while I was banned

And lastly the person that caused all this was forced to resign, cheated as a gamer, lied about scores for money, and was almost put in JAIL by two owners for stealing and holding ransom of intellectual property and personal!!!!!!!!

Need I say more

ICING HERE ON THE CAKE EVERYONE IN HERE EXCEPT ME AND MATTHEW

Voted against me and to top it all off 1 in here is a NEVER HEARD OF PERSON

Good Day

100% Valid these people do NOT EXIST
    Thanks DadsGlasses thanked this post
    Likes starcrytas liked this post
  7. VERIFIED BANNED FOR POOR BEHAVIOR Credibility: 2,589
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    45 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Oh I know let me write ur next answers

It's a Coincidence RIGHT?????????

I know so IT'S NOT
    Likes starcrytas liked this post
  8. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 23,017
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    47 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by starcrytas
    Marc Merica is not a real person.
    I could not find any reference to anyone named Marc Merica anywhere. No Facebook, no Twitter, no YouTube, nothing.
    Only reference is Twin Galaxies.
    I've been told by another member that it would be a more thorough investigation if you pay someone to check the medical and dental records. Have you done that? :)

john

Likes Blackflag82 liked this post
  9. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,682
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    So I don't think anyone actually believes that "proving" a person doesn't exist is a valid challenge to a score, but since these threads are held as permanent record, I want to go ahead and lay out the evidence I found. I don't want a newer person to show up and drink Rudy's Kool-aid and think this challenge has merit:

-From What I found Marc Merica has 19 scores entered in the TG database
    -These scores range from 8/1/09 to 2/18/12

The claim seems to be that Patrick Scott Patterson created a fake person (I'm only dealing with Marc Merica here since the claims of other fake people need to be taken up in other disputes), to specifically beat Rudy's Home Alone Score

- Everything to do with the Home Alone score, additional points, and changing the track can be seen in the link on the subject, so it does not bear repeating here. Suffice to say, it is a pretty straightforward affair when you read through the thread in its entirety.
    - Of his 19 accepted scores, only 3 of these scores were ones that Rudy was active on when submissions were made (Gunsmoke, which was maxed out, Rad Racer and Home Alone)
    - One of the submitted scores beats a score PSP held (Frogger for SNES)
    - One of the scores was entered on 2/18/12 - Leathal Enforcer on SNES - (nearly a year after PSP left TG on 3/1/11)
    - At least five of his scores were entered between a year and a year and a half before the Home Alone score issue.

So, what is being proposed is that Marc Merica was created by a former TG ref on or before March of 2009. This ref then fabricated a number of scores over that time which had nothing to do with Rudy or Home Alone (some of the scores were inaugural and one beat a score from the ref in question), and then in late 2010 a score was submitted for Home Alone which lead into the above thread. During that entire debate, additional scores were entered for other games culminating in the 1/11/11 Home Alone score verification. The ref in question then left TG in March of 2011 and one of Marc Merica's scores was entered in 2/18/12. During this time, numerous posts from Marc Merica were fabricated by said ref. All of this was done so the Home Alone score referenced above could be beaten.

While the above is all possible, it seems more likely that a person came to TG, competed on some scores for a few years, and then decided to move on. The lack of being able to find a "Marc Merica" on social media could be because he's made up, or it could be because his name is actually Marcus or that Marc or Marcus is his middle name and various accounts are set up with his full name/first name. Or he could simply have a very small social media footprint. (for example, I have no twitter, facebook, instagram, etc... and most of the sites I participate on use my handle blackflag82 or cantaffordem so doing a Google search for me without current information (more recent than 2012) doesn't bring a whole lot up).
    Likes Barthax, lexmark liked this post
  10. VERIFIED Member Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so if these people don't exist, how are they submitting to TG?

Is it:

1) You are caught in a timeloop and these submissions actually came from the future?
    2) A bug in the TG code that spontaneously created a submission?
    3) Ghosts?
    4) You are caught in a timeloop and these submissions actually came from the future?
    5) Global Warming?

I'm curious.
    Likes lexmark liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Join us