Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

NES hardware question, Blinking Light Win

Hi everybody

First off- hello! :-) My name's Dan- I am new to the Twin Galaxies world and excited to be hopefully making my first submissions very soon. I did have a NES hardware question though that I am hoping to get clarification on. I tried searching the existing forums but did not find any results.

Specifically- I want to know if I may install a 'Blinking Light Win' (more info here: https://www.arcadeworks.net/blw) in my NES console or if that would invalidate my scores. It's basically an alternate 72pin connector replacement. It does not affect gameplay in any way, but does somewhat alter the system as- once installed- you no longer push the cartridges down into place. So tired of seeing that blinking light and would love to make my system more reliable, but don't want to do anything against the rules.

I know the general rules specify all hardware and software must be original but I see people using R4 cards and Everdrive, for example, in place of original cartridges, so didn't know if maybe the BLW falls in the same category of acceptable use (hopefully so!)

Thanks very much in advance for your input- very excited to be joining this community :-)
    dan
  2. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 6,177
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: rogerpoco48
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    60 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    You don't have to purchase equipment to stop the blinking light-there are two connectors on the blockout chip that have to be clipped, is easy to find info online, and I think is standard for anyone wanting a reliable NES nowadays.
  3. VERIFIED Junior Member Credibility: 1,096
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry- I think maybe I said something to confuse the issue. I am hoping to replace the 72 pin connector in my NES console but want to make sure the equipment that I have purchased- the name of the product is "Blinking Light Win"- is considered acceptable for score submissions before I actually install it in my console. I'm just trying to follow Twin Galaxies rules and don't want to take any action that would disqualify my scores.

I believe your suggestion about the blockout chip will stop the actual light on the front of the console from blinking but does not actually affect the connection between the game cartridges and the 72 pin connector or the connector's reliability. I apologize if I was unclear.

Thanks again for any information regarding the legality of this connector replacement.
    dan
    Likes Rogerpoco liked this post
  4. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,364
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I see no reason why this would prohibit you from submitting a valid score.
Join us