thread

Dispute: John McAllister - M.A.M.E. - Domino Man - Points - Player: Clay W W Karczewski - Score: 1,183,760

User Tag List

Is this a valid dispute?

You may not vote on this poll
    You have no permission to view/vote this poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 7,875
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: snowflaketg
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    33 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapler90210 View Post
    I see my example was a bit flawed. I could look around for a better example if it would help, but would you agree that the presence of a timer shouldn't be the reason that you can take a detour for additional points?

For an example that doesn't have a timer but otherwise has plenty of comparable examples, what about Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land? There are plenty of rooms you can go into to grab extra items or kill extra enemies for points, but then in order to progress you have to leave the room from the same door you came in and end up in the same place you entered from. Therefore, entering that room was purely for points and not at all for progression. Furthermore, the game does NOT have a timer. The enemies do not respawn unless you die and do not give you enough points for an extra life, so clearly it's not leeching, but the rules seem to imply that it would be.
    no, the rules allow you to make detours for points. I think you're looking at the sentence summary of progression and then missing the detailed rules that follow. You're right, the opening sentence is poorly worded and would imply you always have to make a straight line for the end. The link I gave you though explains exactly whats meant. If there was a timer for example, you could go into the room, walk backwards, stand still, whatever, and it wouldnt be leeching.
    Mr. Do's Castle champ
    Lode Runner champ
    Other kid's games champ

Adult Games: Street Fighter champ
  2. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 7,875
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    33 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    also without a timer, as long as the items you're detouring for dont etenrally regenerate its not leeching. You're making progress in the sense that you're progressively getting every item you can get. its only leeching when you're doing something that could be done forever. Items that are used up are fine. Some games do prevent you from reentering rooms since you could reenter the room infinitely. If you can reenter the room infinitely, its leeching. If you can reenter the room, even 100 times, but the 101th time things dont regenerate its not leeching. Like i say, the link I gave you spells it out, but it basically comes down if something could be done inifnitely then you're only allowed it to do it once. if however something has a finite limit built in, go for it
    Mr. Do's Castle champ
    Lode Runner champ
    Other kid's games champ

3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,003
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I disagree that the rules you linked me provide any statement that makes it clear you can make detours for points and I disagree that what you've described constitutes progress. The enemies in my example DO respawn, just not in any way that would allow you to leech from them. I am not arguing that killing those enemies is actually leeching. I am pointing out that the initial statement in the rules would prohibit this action, and none of the exceptions noted in the rest of the rules directly (or even indeirectly to the best of my comprehension) speaks to this kind of action being allowed.
  4. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 7,875
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    33 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapler90210 View Post
    I disagree that the rules you linked me provide any statement that makes it clear you can make detours for points and I disagree that what you've described constitutes progress. The enemies in my example DO respawn, just not in any way that would allow you to leech from them. I am not arguing that killing those enemies is actually leeching. I am pointing out that the initial statement in the rules would prohibit this action, and none of the exceptions noted in the rest of the rules directly (or even indeirectly to the best of my comprehension) speaks to this kind of action being allowed.
    ok, i guess then in a game like that I cant convince you. Thats fine, I'm perfectly happy to agree to disagree there as its really a tangent to this challenge. Would you at least agree though for this challenge in particular, since domino man has a timer, the rules do explicilty say that when theres a timer its not leeching? For this particular challenge at least thats what was key for me.
    Mr. Do's Castle champ
    Lode Runner champ
    Other kid's games champ

Thanks CWK thanked this post
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,003
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Yes. There's a timer and the "leeching" can't be done indefinitely even with turbo. Lame as all hell but this would have to be banned explicitly by the track. Leeching rules alone don't prohibit it
    Thanks CWK thanked this post
  6. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 5,024
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    63 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Point pressing plain a d simple. Voting no but thanks for the star.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Join us