Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I set the bounty to be the end of the year because when I put it out there, the talk of "the event" was filling the thread, and it had come to light that the event was being set on Todd's schedule (at least that is what was stated by Jace). To try and place an end-cap on this supposed schedule I made the date December 31st and 11:59. The run doesn't need to be verified, but does need to be submitted by that time. At this point, I'll add in the difference to the current total, to make it an even $1000 for anyone hitting 5.51 within the guidelines I put out there:

http://www.twingalaxies.com/entry.ph...GSTER-BOUNTIES
    Thanks QAOP Spaceman thanked this post
  2. Junior Member Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    With xelnia's and BlackFlag82's additonal contributions, we're looking at:

Running totals
    5.51 $1000
    5.54 $155

Successful attempts: 0
    Likes Barra liked this post
  3. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,574
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QAOP Spaceman View Post
    Running totals
    5.51 $1000
    5.54 $155
    Successful attempts: 0

RTM REPLY - all things considered, getting a 5.54 apparently, must either be perceived as no biggie or less-than-stellar, even though no one has caught one on video yet.
  4. Junior Member Credibility: 1,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    RTM REPLY - all things considered, getting a 5.54 apparently, must either be perceived as no biggie or less-than-stellar, even though no one has caught one on video yet.
    I'm not sure it's a sign that 5.54 would be considered 'less than stellar'. It would be the highest ever verified score on the title, and would prove the original Activision programmers' estimate correct, and simultaneously prove Omnigamer (and half a dozen other people) wrong.

It's more that 5.51 is the claimed fastest time. It is claimed to have been achieved three times. It is also claimed by Guinness to be the longest standing video game record in the world. Getting second place maybe doesn't have the same lustre as equalling the score.

Robert, you're the very person who could maybe answer this - has anybody ever claimed 5.54? Who, and when?
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,690
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure it's a sign that 5.54 would be considered 'less than stellar'. It would be the highest ever verified score on the title, and would prove the original Activision programmers' estimate correct, and simultaneously prove Omnigamer (and half a dozen other people) wrong.

It's more that 5.51 is the claimed fastest time. It is claimed to have been achieved three times. It is also claimed by Guinness to be the longest standing video game record in the world. Getting second place maybe doesn't have the same lustre as equalling the score.

Robert, you're the very person who could maybe answer this - has anybody ever claimed 5.54? Who, and when?
    Not Robert, but I can share what I've uncovered thus far while we wait for RTM to reply --

Todd Rogers posted a photograph at AtariAge with a 5.54 -

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/341...ragster/page-2

Twin Galaxies' source for Todd's 5.51 inclusion on the scoreboard was from the Activisions newsletters published roughly between 1981 and 1983. In those newsletters, the world record times went along this path - 5.61, 5.57, and 5.51.
  6. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,574
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

RTM REPLY - Pre-2007 (I left TG on 12/19/06), the only gamer claiming a score better than 5.57 was Todd. I never heard of anyone else claiming better up to that point.
  7. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 5,650
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: BarraNZ
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    In regards to the 5.51 vs 5.54 money, it doesn't actually matter when neither are possible
    Likes Scoops, bitplayer, xelnia, D.B. Cooper, timhett liked this post
  8. VERIFIED Junior Member Credibility: 959
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Barra View Post
    In regards to the 5.51 vs 5.54 money, it doesn't actually matter when neither are possible
    You got that right mate.

There's more chance of catching The Loch Ness Monster using BigFoot's fishing rod.
  9. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,574
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Barra View Post

RTM REPLY - I'm still of the opinion that Todd will come through. Thirty plus years ago when I was first playing Atari 2600 "Night Driver", and again in the late 1990's when I started heavy submissions to TG, no one thought an 81 was possible, yet now there are at least 2 or 3 such scores. Based on nothing more than that, which is small but to me significant, I'm keeping my hopes up that we will all see a faster time on this title under TG-accepted and stated conditions.
    Likes Barra, Rogerpoco liked this post
  10. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 5,650
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: BarraNZ
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    RTM REPLY - I'm still of the opinion that Todd will come through. Thirty plus years ago when I was first playing Atari 2600 "Night Driver", and again in the late 1990's when I started heavy submissions to TG, no one thought an 81 was possible, yet now there are at least 2 or 3 such scores. Based on nothing more than that, which is small but to me significant, I'm keeping my hopes up that we will all see a faster time on this title under TG-accepted and stated conditions.
    Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a lower time but I think at this point the evidence against is no less than overwhelming
    Perhaps I'm being too cynical.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Join us