thread

What is the most ridiculous track on Twin Galaxies?

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 7,869
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: snowflaketg
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    33 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    and now for a shameless plug
    http://www.twingalaxies.com/entry.php/2467
    Mr. Do's Castle champ
    Lode Runner champ
    Other kid's games champ

Adult Games: Street Fighter champ
  2. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,568
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    http://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.p...70&ref=fbshare

This one. You get credit for a "world record" when its not even open to the world! Heck, its not even a record, its a championship. Its for a single point in time, and noone else is allowed to submit on it. At least Allen's track are open for anyone to compete on; Allen isn't afraid of some competition. This track is even less competitive as the rules themselves prevent competition. I have no idea why this ridiculous track gets premium status and increases world record count when its not even a real track. How do you get a world record on something that the world isnt allowed to compete on?

RTM REPLY - this is hardly a fair statement that you are making, but in your defense you are not aware of the reason behind these settings.

At the time the TG Board of Referees decided that we did not want to "dilute" the scoreboard with custom variations...this one being extreme settings from a very specific TG deca event.

We posted a subsequent forum thread to the effect that these settings and the results would be preserved in the TG database so that gamers could compete privately against the previous event results, but we had no intention at the time of continuing these settings.

You are viewing these settings with the eyes of someone being accustomed to the TG of the here-and-now...TG was different back then in certain respects, thus the decision to limit this variation from accumulating further scores post-event.
  3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 7,869
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    33 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    RTM REPLY - this is hardly a fair statement that you are making, but in your defense you are not aware of the reason behind these settings.

At the time the TG Board of Referees decided that we did not want to "dilute" the scoreboard with custom variations...this one being extreme settings from a very specific TG deca event.

We posted a subsequent forum thread to the effect that these settings and the results would be preserved in the TG database so that gamers could compete privately against the previous event results, but we had no intention at the time of continuing these settings.

You are viewing these settings with the eyes of someone being accustomed to the TG of the here-and-now...TG was different back then in certain respects, thus the decision to limit this variation from accumulating further scores post-event.
    that makes sense. however, it is now adding to world record count, ESI, and "other records" count. it sounds like it was never meant to. If it was only intended as a reference and not as world record count then it should be easy to get that fixed.
    Mr. Do's Castle champ
    Lode Runner champ
    Other kid's games champ

4. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,568
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by datagod View Post
    @admin staff

If these tracks can't be removed entirely on the basis that they can no longer be competed on, I strongly suggest they be moved out of the premium track group.

RTM REPLY - please read my previous reply explaining the "why" behind these settings as I was part of the decision-making-body, the former TG Board of Referees, which arrived at the decision.

That was the TG of a former era. What I would do if I were you, instead, is to petition Jace to change the rules to ALLOW scores to be submitted in the here-and-now. That makes more sense than to have Jace engage in programming to cherry-pick these variations to remove their "premiere status" which is a lot more intensive in terms of programming effort that changing the individual rules to allow for new submissions.
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 7,869
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    33 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    RTM REPLY - please read my previous reply explaining the "why" behind these settings as I was part of the decision-making-body, the former TG Board of Referees, which arrived at the decision.

That was the TG of a former era. What I would do if I were you, instead, is to petition Jace to change the rules to ALLOW scores to be submitted in the here-and-now. That makes more sense than to have Jace engage in programming to cherry-pick these variations to remove their "premiere status" which is a lot more intensive in terms of programming effort that changing the individual rules to allow for new submissions.
    opening them up to competition for all would solve the main issue, but could it cause other issues? the rules themselves would have to be updated. It would certainly deal with my objections, as long as it doesnt create new objections from others that seems reasonable.
    Mr. Do's Castle champ
    Lode Runner champ
    Other kid's games champ

Likes datagod liked this post
  6. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,322
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    49 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    That makes more sense than to have Jace engage in programming to cherry-pick these variations to remove their "premiere status" which is a lot more intensive in terms of programming effort that changing the individual rules to allow for new submissions.
    I think there is a simple bit field in the database that can be flipped to indicated premiere or other.

-- sample SQL code
    update Track
    set IsTrackPrimiere = FALSE
    where TrackID in (list of TrackIDs that you can't compete on)

Changing the rules would be as simple as well.
    update Track
    set RulesDescription = "New better rules which allows competition"
    where TrackID in (list of TrackIDs that you can't compete on)

Pretty straightforward stuff, however it will likely be triaged and put in the very long to-do queue.
    "May the Heavy Hand spare you" -- Datagod 1:19
    ~~ Strongest Punch on Twin Galaxies ~~

7. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,568
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    that makes sense. however, it is now adding to world record count, ESI, and "other records" count. it sounds like it was never meant to. If it was only intended as a reference and not as world record count then it should be easy to get that fixed.

RTM REPLY - once again, you seem to be looking at this with the eyes of the new TG.

At the time back in 2005 there was no concept of an "ESI". There was simply the TG Leaderboard which was the count of all 1st place records. At that time, whoever had these records had a +1 for their total record count BUT, as you can imagine, they were in no danger of losing that +1 since TG was no longer accepting submissions.

For right or wrong there were quite a few other variations with similar rules, some from TG-run deca type events, some from a special ACAM event where custom settings were in play. Even I do not remember the full extent of how many such variations exist in the TG database as it has been too many years since those events took place.

The more practical solution from an administrative PoV would be to simply change the rules to eliminate that caveat which blocks new submissions. Far easier than a programmatic solution.
  8. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,568
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by datagod View Post
    Pretty straightforward stuff, however it will likely be triaged and put in the very long to-do queue.

RTM REPLY - unfortunately that seems to be a strong likelihood. The TG of old had the same problem...too many "to do's" and not enough resources to do them.
    Likes datagod liked this post
  9. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,322
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    49 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    RTM REPLY - once again, you seem to be looking at this with the eyes of the new TG.
    Looking at TG with "today eyes" means that ESI is being calculated on tracks and submissions that were created with "yesteryear's hands".

I think these one-off tracks should not count towards ESI, PSI, CSI, FBI, WTF, etc.
    "May the Heavy Hand spare you" -- Datagod 1:19
    ~~ Strongest Punch on Twin Galaxies ~~

10. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 7,869
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    33 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

At the time back in 2005 there was no concept of an "ESI". There was simply the TG Leaderboard which was the count of all 1st place records. At that time, whoever had these records had a +1 for their total record count BUT, as you can imagine, they were in no danger of losing that +1 since TG was no longer accepting submissions.

For right or wrong there were quite a few other variations with similar rules, some from TG-run deca type events, some from a special ACAM event where custom settings were in play. Even I do not remember the full extent of how many such variations exist in the TG database as it has been too many years since those events took place.

The more practical solution from an administrative PoV would be to simply change the rules to eliminate that caveat which blocks new submissions. Far easier than a programmatic solution.
    yes i'm looking at it through modern TG eyes intentionally, as its currently listed and affects modern TG metrics. I'm not petitioning we change history, i'm suggesting we make the modern TG make sense. This track doesnt make any sense as a track under the "record" definition of track. By your own description of the past it was never meant to be a competitive track or a world record track, it was only meant to be something players could look at for private competition. Thats not what a world record is. not then, not now. so lets fix it.
    Mr. Do's Castle champ
    Lode Runner champ
    Other kid's games champ

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Join us