thread

What is the most ridiculous track on Twin Galaxies?

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
  1. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 14,123
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: marcamy_1029
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    28 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Now see, this is what happens when people complain before reading the rules. The rules clearly state the staal game you're watching must already be approved, so the scenario you lay out is impossible. Also, because I wanted to leave room for competition I didnt even watch allen's highest score. Call it sandbagging if you like. But i'm not afraid of competition. If someone wants to surpass me by watching allen get an even higher score,so be it.
    WRONG ANSWER!!! :P (inside joke)

You did not state that in the rules, that it must be already approved in the TG database...You said "witness watching Allen getting the score". Therefore, one can watch any video say on Allen's Twitch account, regardless if its a TG submission, approved or not.

BAH, SEMANTICS!!! :P
    Thanks HectorTelloc thanked this post
  2. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 7,875
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: snowflaketg
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    33 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcade View Post
    WRONG ANSWER!!! :P (inside joke)

You did not state that in the rules, that it must be already approved in the TG database...You said "witness watching Allen getting the score". Therefore, one can watch any video say on Allen's Twitch account, regardless if its a TG submission, approved or not.

BAH, SEMANTICS!!! :P
    dang it, you're right. that was my intention, but i messed up in the wording. looks like you did read properly, i wrote improperly.

oh well, even still. how dare you! looks like we got a real internet tough guy here. you're on my radar now buddy
    Mr. Do's Castle champ
    Lode Runner champ
    Other kid's games champ

Adult Games: Street Fighter champ
    Likes Marcade liked this post
  3. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,568
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by datagod View Post
    Looking at TG with "today eyes" means that ESI is being calculated on tracks and submissions that were created with "yesteryear's hands".

I think these one-off tracks should not count towards ESI, PSI, CSI, FBI, WTF, etc.

RTM REPLY - I agree...however, if others do wish to compete on these, then it cannot be had both ways.

You also have to think in terms of what is in the gaming community's best interests...continuing the permanent blockage of such challenges, or opening them up to gamers anxious to potentially claim a new world record and best accomplishments from yesteryear.

When an ideological decision like this is necessary, it has to come from Jace and his team. I'd ask him to contemplate that decision.
    Likes datagod liked this post
  4. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,568
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    yes i'm looking at it through modern TG eyes intentionally, as its currently listed and affects modern TG metrics. I'm not petitioning we change history, i'm suggesting we make the modern TG make sense. This track doesnt make any sense as a track under the "record" definition of track. By your own description of the past it was never meant to be a competitive track or a world record track, it was only meant to be something players could look at for private competition. Thats not what a world record is. not then, not now. so lets fix it.

RTM REPLY - in the era of the old TG database, the goal was preservation of history. The database had no mechanics to have scores both displayed AND not counted towards the leaderboard. Either a score was recognized or switched to "hiatus" status with a reason.

You are confusing the purpose of what is commonly known as a "track" (aka "variation")...basically it is a set of parameters within a given platform/title combination under which gamers, at one point, competed for submission purposes to TG. The original purpose was never to focus solely on scores that were NOT "one shot"...all scores, no matter how few competitors, were accepted, no matter how high or how low. That was the original mission statement of Twin Galaxies...all we had asked is that gamers at least tried their best as there were no resources to formally log into the database thousands of scores of under 10,000 points on "Pacman", for example, else TG would be buried in mediocrity and the database would be a running joke, and it would never, ever stand a chance at being fully updated.

By the original definition, as is stated, it was never meant at the time to be competed on past the point of the original competition...that is a given. However, it was TG's full intent to preserve the history of the event. The database was structured in such a way as to require that the results of the event...linked to the event...must be present in order to use the tools to recreate the event results at a moment's notice via data extraction and presentation.

Jace's new database may very well have additional capacity that the previous database did not, and as such new decision-making may be of consideration. But this is for Jace to determine...he just needs to be made aware of these custom variations that exist, and weigh in which he feels is more important...allowing gamers to formally compete and submit against these in the here and now, or keep the achievements static.

Keep in mind, nothing is stopping a gamer from the here and now to create the identical variation using their own submission points...so why require that when the far simpler solution is to alter the rules that blocked future competition/submission ? That is the smarter solution.
    Likes Barthax liked this post
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 7,875
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: snowflaketg
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    33 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    ...But this is for Jace to determine...he just needs to be made aware of these custom variations that exist, and weigh in which he feels is more important...allowing gamers to formally compete and submit against these in the here and now, or keep the achievements static.
    I agree. I think this has been discussed in detail and as far as I can tell most people agree on whats happening here, so time to tag @JaceHall or it @Jace Hall and see what can be done about this
    Mr. Do's Castle champ
    Lode Runner champ
    Other kid's games champ

Adult Games: Street Fighter champ
    Likes datagod, Barthax liked this post
  6. VERIFIED COMMISSIONER Credibility: 8,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Having 'live' tracks which cannot be competed on is not ideal. We will discuss.
    Thanks Snowflake thanked this post
  7. VERIFIED COMMISSIONER Credibility: 8,000
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    In the meantime, please send details of any closed tracks that have premium status to the Twin Galaxies account. Please request in the email specifically that you would like the premium status removed.

By the way I think the Chicken Wing Challenge needs multiple variations for different strengths of chili. Who's up for the California Reaper version?
    Thanks datagod thanked this post
  8. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 14,123
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    View Channel: marcamy_1029
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    28 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksett View Post
    By the way I think the Chicken Wing Challenge needs multiple variations for different strengths of chili. Who's up for the California Reaper version?
    The chicken wing challenge should really have been set up for 2600 - Freeway, not NES Contra. (Makes sense right)
    I would of set up a track for 2600 Atlantis, while playing with my bathtub submarine toy, but that just wouldnt be rated PG.
  9. VERIFIED BANNED FOR POOR BEHAVIOR Credibility: 2,589
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    45 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    F THAT I AM GOING FOR DRAGSTER 5.50 WHILE EATING WINGS

AND AND AND

I WILL MAKE A PORKY'S TRACK HAVE TO PLAY PORKYS WATCHING THE FAMOUS BALBREAKER SCENE AND NOT LAUGH
  10. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,568
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy J. Ferretti View Post
    F THAT I AM GOING FOR DRAGSTER 5.50 WHILE EATING WINGS

RTM REPLY - while the attempt itself would be admirable, the outcome is impossible...after 5.51 the next best time attainable would be 5.47
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Join us