thread

Dispute: Pete Hahn - Arcade - RoboCop - Points - Player: Stephen Krogman - Score: 2,240,600

User Tag List

Is this a valid dispute?

This poll is closed
    This poll is closed
  1. Dispute: Pete Hahn - Arcade - RoboCop - Points - Player: Stephen Krogman - Score: 2,240,600

09-12-2017, 02:07 PM
    Arcade - RoboCop - Points
    Score Track//www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=3383
    RulesDip Switch #1:
    1-4 = OFF
    5 = OFF/UNUSED
    6-7 = OFF
    8 = ON/OFF [Upright/Cocktail]
    Dip Switch #2:
    1-6 = OFF
    7-8 = OFF/UNUSED
    Note: The above Dip Switches, are not only the FACTORY DEFAULT settings, but are also the correct Twin Galaxies Tournament Settings for this title;
    Player's Energy: Medium
    Game Difficulty: Normal
    Special Rules: You are not allowed to use the 3rd level [or other levels] point cheat in this game. Any use will result in your score being immediately disqualified. [This involves sitting in a particular spot and the points skyrocket] Continues are NOT permitted!
    Player NameStephen Krogman
    Original AdjudicationN/A
    Verification MethodReferee
    Verification Date1991-07-12
    Disputed Score2,240,600 (Rank 1)
    Disputed ByGGA HAN
    Dispute Evidence / RationaleScore is not possible without using glitch (bug) specifically banned in the track rules. Also, Stephen Krogman himself commented on this video regarding this score:

https://youtu.be/8sYdf1pK3NM

A complete playthrough of the game with normal point pressing will max out near 900-950k points, maybe slightly more, as can be seen on the mame track for this title no one is even approaching this score with the same rules in place:

//www.twingalaxies.com/scores.p...91&ref=fbshare
    Likes Derek, CaptainJivePants liked this post
  2. 09-12-2017, 04:24 PM
    This is true. The top score at RetroUprising takes advantage of this same bug, since it's not against the rules there. While I don't agree that this tactic should be banned, the rules for the track specifically disallow it.

Voting "Yes"
    Likes Derek, HAN liked this post
  3. 09-12-2017, 04:28 PM
    I've seen this glitch, this score took advantage of it or farmed the crap out points somewhere
    Likes HAN liked this post
  4. 09-12-2017, 04:39 PM
    Cleared this game many times. No way to point press this game that much. Voting yes.
    Likes Derek, HAN liked this post
  5. 09-18-2017, 02:24 PM
    Voting "YES" because the player in question has admitted to breaking the rules, as shown in GGA HAN's screenshots.

I encourage people to exercise a little extra caution when saying things aren't possible in a game. We've seen such claims proven wrong before (for example, when PJ Dicesare's Battletoads & Double Dragon score was called into question), and the Dragster dispute is an interesting demonstration on just how high a mountain you have to climb to truly prove that something is impossible.

One last point: From Stephen's comment on that youtube video, it sounds like this may well have been a valid submission at the time it was submitted. Is this a case where we should be migrating the score to a new track which would reflect the rules from the time of submission? (I don't have a strong opinion on this one, I just think I remember that happening in a previous dispute thread)
    Likes Derek, francoisadt liked this post
  6. 02-01-2018, 01:43 PM
    Seems like a no brainer to remove this one.
    Likes HAN liked this post
  7. 02-02-2018, 11:47 AM
    I ain't so sure this was an accident.

Voting yes.
    Lauren R. Tyler
    Eternal Champion of Ragol
  8. 02-10-2018, 01:05 PM
    Voting yes to Dispute and the Evidence Provided Here by Stephan Krogman his Own Omission to the Glitch
  9. 02-15-2018, 05:30 AM
    There is sufficient testimony above that this score could not have been achieved without using the tactic specifically forbidden by the rules. This is backed up by the screenshots posted by @HAN
    Thanks for all the comments and input here.

This dispute is accepted and the score is being removed.
    Dave Hawksett
    Head Custodian
    www.TwinGalaxies.com
    Thanks CWK, Derek thanked this post
Join us