thread

Dispute: Craig Gallant - Arcade - Marvel VS Capcom - Points [Tournament Settings] - Player: Bob Martin - Score: 2,782,808

User Tag List

Is this a valid dispute?

You may not vote on this poll
    You have no permission to view/vote this poll.
  1. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,809
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: d3scride
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Dispute: Craig Gallant - Arcade - Marvel VS Capcom - Points [Tournament Settings] - Player: Bob Martin - Score: 2,782,808

Arcade - Marvel VS Capcom - Points [Tournament Settings]
    Score Trackhttp://www.twingalaxies.com/scores.php?scores=3341
    RulesDifficulty: Expert
    Damage Level: Normal
    Timer Speed: Normal
    Mode Select: Free Select
    Game Speed: Free Select
    1P Max Round: 3
    2P Max Round: 3
    Event: Off
    Special Rules: You may freely choose any available character. [Including Machine Unlocked Secret Characters] You may freely choose your Mode and Game Speed. Continues are not allowed!
    Player NameBob Martin
    Original AdjudicationN/A
    Verification MethodReferee
    Verification Date1999-09-02
    Disputed Score2,782,808 (Rank 3)
    Disputed Byd3scride
    Dispute Evidence / RationaleDisputing this score based on the precedent setting outcome of another non zero ending score: http://www.twingalaxies.com/showthre...-Score-2120509
    Thanks jjt_defender thanked this post
    Likes jjt_defender liked this post
  2. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 18,761
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Congratulations TG! Very good the decision in the other non-zero score for this game!

In these Capcom games, it's a REQUIREMENT the score to end in zero. The rest need to be excluded (maybe there are some very rare exception games, but I can't remember names now).

Additional info (for these Capcom games):

#1) The score will remain "99" after the 99th continue (or P2 challenge). It's a fact. Very good rule.

#2) There are some Capcom fighting games that have a different score system, after a P2 challenge.
    For example: P1 defeated 4 CPU opponents, then started Battle 5 with a score of 279,000, the get some more points against this 5th opponent, and when P1 has 310,000 points, then P2 join-in (before the 5th opponent be defeated). P1 vs P2 play head-to-head, P1 wins (P1 current score is 345,001), then the 5th CPU opponent will restart. At this point, the P1 score will return to 279,001 (the same of the beginning of the 5th CPU opponent, plus 1 point), not counting the extra points get from the P1vsP2 battle, and not counting the extra points get from the CPU 5th opponent that was previously interrupted). It's an excellent score system. Thumbs up for Capcom.
    Note that most of the previous games would NOT restart from the 279,001 score, and would continue from 345,001 mark.
    Not sure, but there is the possibility that some games would return to 274,000 (zero) instead of 274,001 (one), what need further investigation, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen.

Anyway, no matter if the game has (or not) this #2 score system, my opinion is that ANY use of 2P challenge and/or continues, should disqualify the score, because the TG general rule is "1 credit only".

Further more, I confirm what YesAffinity said in the previous dispute (
    http://www.twingalaxies.com/showthread.php/174793-Dispute-Patrick-Maher-Arcade-Marvel-VS-Capcom-Points-Tournament-Settings-Player-Adam-Stombaugh-Score-2120509?p=912516&viewfull=1#post912516 ) about many factors (including the 2P challenges and the use of continues) that change the difficulty of the game, because the AI is highly related to these factors, since SF2 World Warrior, not only in bonus stages, but during all the game. Other reason to immediately disqualify non-zero scores in these Capcom games.

I'll try to test and find CPS1/CPS2 games that have this #2 score system, and list it here when possible.

And about this MvC score, I vote YES to remove it.

Good gaming everyone!
    TRB_MetroidTeam
    Metroid Team, from Brazil
    Likes Barra, jjt_defender liked this post
  3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 18,761
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I did some tests here, and I have a list of different score systems in Capcom games, including SFA (that is the example that I remembered earlier) and SF (that has the final digits as "00" ever). I tested the parent ROMset on MAME

"Continues" means that one continue was used by P1.
    "2P" means the that P2 joined-in.

A) The most common:

Street Fighter II - Continue: score continues (bad) +1 digit (good). 2P: score continues (bad) +1 digit (good).
    Street Fighter EX - Continue: score continues (bad) +1 digit (good). 2P: score continues (bad) +1 digit (good).
    Super Street Fighter II Turbo - Continue: score continues (bad) +1 digit (good). 2P: score continues (bad) +1 digit (good).
    Marvel vs Capcom
    - Continue: score continues (bad) +1 digit (good). 2P: score continues (bad) +1 digit (good).

B)
    Street Fighter Alpha 3 - Continue: score is reseted (very good) +1 digit (good). 2P: score is reseted (very good) +1 digit (good).

C)
    Street Fighter - Continue: score is reseted (very good) +0 digit (no matter, because reseted). 2P: score continues (bad) and digits remaind 00 (very bad).

D)
    Street Fighter Alpha - Continue: score continues (bad) +1 digit (good). 2P: score returns to the beginning of the previous CPU battle (good and different) +0 digit (bad and "fake").

Note: Street Fighter Alpha (D) is the example that I said before: the different score system (#2). It used +0 instead of +1 when 2P challenged. Because of this +0, it's necessary to watch the whole performance when adjudicating this game, because the player could "save" a bad Battle using the 2P, and finish the game with "00" digits in the end. It's a bad trick in my opinion.
    TRB_MetroidTeam
    Metroid Team, from Brazil
    Likes jjt_defender liked this post
  4. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 5,030
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    63 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Voting yes. Scores can't end in anything other than zero else a continue or buy-in was used
  5. VERIFIED Member Credibility: 1,081
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    34 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Voting yes. Obvious continues here.
    Lauren R. Tyler
    Eternal Champion of Ragol