thread

Dispute: AL Birman - Intellivision - Tron Deadly Discs - NTSC/PAL - Default Settings - Player: Ron Corcoran - Score: 722,368,800

User Tag List

Is this a valid dispute?

This poll is closed
    This poll is closed
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 70
  1. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 14,120
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,751
    Thanks (Received)
    2056
    Likes (Received)
    3706
    Blog Entries
    52
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: marcamy_1029
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    28 Thread(s)
    Follows
    49
    Following
    32
    Two words...

    Ron Corcoran

    Need I say more?
  2. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,568
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Posts
    2,773
    Thanks (Received)
    780
    Likes (Received)
    1552
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    38
    Following
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by danman1234 View Post
    As stated before why are so many of these peoples scores still here? How many disputes does it take? Everyone knows how absurd this all is. I'm at the point when I see certain names on the scoreboard I just move on and that is ridiculous that anyone needs to feel that way.


    RTM REPLY - as far as Ron goes, I trust any of Ron's scores that Stephen Knox personally identified as well as the few that I might have personally verified had he participated in the 2000 or 2001 TG Atari 2600 Time Deca (I forget if he was part of that).

    Beyond those, I am not 100% sure who else verified any of Ron's scores. There's a good chance that the vast majority of what's left was verified by either Ron or Todd, with some exceptions coming from the MAME deca events where contributing event referees such as Anders Svensson (whom I also fully trust) and a few others might have verified some of his event scores.
    Thanks jjt_defender thanked this post
    Likes jjt_defender liked this post
  3. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 1,780
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    956
    Thanks (Received)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    41
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Follows
    27
    Following
    15
    I've been around long enough to see this score get removed previously, only to re-emerge after a regime change/database migration. The logic put forth in Al's challenge appears to be more than sound in my estimation. The extraordinary amount of time required to achieve this score (without leeching) coupled with the absence of extra lives and the relative ease of death makes this rather open and shut. I don't doubt that someone might be crazy enough to try to stay awake that long, but there is no way, in my opinion, that she/he would be able to maintain the consistently high level of play required to not lose the lone life allotted by this game. Even if one employed the disc breaking/leeching technique (which would be grounds for disqualification on principle), one would still have to remain engaged with the game in order to avoid death and as Al demonstrated, the scoring rate dips dramatically (meaning a much longer timeframe would be required to reach the above noted score). And we haven't even broached the topic of whether or not the hardware could withstand so many hours of continuous use.

    The bottom line of it all is: Al's detailed analysis/sound logic + "unverified" score = Time to double tap this zombie for good.

    I vote "yes."
  4. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 4,540
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    All of Canada
    Posts
    1,303
    Thanks (Received)
    842
    Likes (Received)
    1633
    Blog Entries
    15
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: intellivisionmaster
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Follows
    18
    Following
    19
    Matt your argument was better than mine! Thanks for your input.

    I feel That maybe I didn’t emphasize enough... I remember trying to get to a million points, and that was a feat. When I got to a million, and had to learn how to contest the orange guards, it was very difficult to sustain keeping alive. I have absolutely no doubt that 10,8 million is the highest anyone has ever scored on this game. Myself included. I’ve never hit 10 million.

    After a couple million, the programming is out to get you. They send out an orange guard, a runner with a brown disc and a runner with a white disc (the white ones follow you). When you get hit by a disc, you freeze for a full second. So the orange guard hangs around your man waiting for you to get hit, just once by that white tracer-disc. If he’s anywhere near you when you’re hit, he grabs you and the game ends. It’s an incredibly frustrating game.... but oh so rewarding when you achieve an extra million on top of your previous high score.

    I could confidently state that 25 million is impossible; let alone 722 million.... and the highest “rumoured” score I’ve ever heard was 16 million... I read someone’s post on the internet last year who said “my uncle hit 16 million in the 80’s”. ... I don’t put any stock into rumours. And as far as I’m concerned, the highest ANYONE has ever scored is 10.8 million - which is sitting at second place on our leader-board.

    Thanks Megamatt79, HugDD, DadsGlasses thanked this post
    Likes RaGe, Megamatt79, HugDD liked this post
  5. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,319
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,192
    Thanks (Received)
    810
    Likes (Received)
    944
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Follows
    15
    Following
    24
    Excellent presentation of data from Al. Voting yes!
    Thanks Intellivision Master thanked this post
  6. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,491


    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    808
    Thanks (Received)
    266
    Likes (Received)
    501
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: danman123456
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    55 Thread(s)
    Follows
    23
    Following
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    RTM REPLY - as far as Ron goes, I trust any of Ron's scores that Stephen Knox personally identified as well as the few that I might have personally verified had he participated in the 2000 or 2001 TG Atari 2600 Time Deca (I forget if he was part of that).

    Beyond those, I am not 100% sure who else verified any of Ron's scores. There's a good chance that the vast majority of what's left was verified by either Ron or Todd, with some exceptions coming from the MAME deca events where contributing event referees such as Anders Svensson (whom I also fully trust) and a few others might have verified some of his event scores.
    \

    IMO no one should have to play the "Hey look a score that was verified by someone trustworthy NOW its ok" when so many are complete nonsense. The volume of scores that most people believe are crap should mean ALL of them go. Regardless if it was verified by you and we have a video now. Like I said I dont waste my time anymore when I see certain names on the scoreboard.
    Dan Desjardins
    Likes Marcade, Intellivision Master liked this post
  7. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,568
    Join Date
    Jan 1998
    Posts
    2,773
    Thanks (Received)
    780
    Likes (Received)
    1552
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    38
    Following
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by danman1234 View Post
    Regardless if it was verified by you and we have a video now.


    RTM REPLY - I don't think we have any of the videos in question...the only few I had from Ron numbered 7 in total, all from the Atari 2600 Time Deca which he did not qualify for, and all those digital files were sent to Brien and Kelly on Dec19-20/06 when I left TG - http://atariage.com/forums/topic/145...final-results/
  8. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 7,863
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Vermilion, Ohio
    Posts
    5,051
    Thanks (Received)
    2156
    Likes (Received)
    3654
    Blog Entries
    112
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: snowflaketg
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    33 Thread(s)
    Follows
    46
    Following
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by danman1234 View Post
    \

    IMO no one should have to play the "Hey look a score that was verified by someone trustworthy NOW its ok" when so many are complete nonsense. The volume of scores that most people believe are crap should mean ALL of them go. Regardless if it was verified by you and we have a video now. Like I said I dont waste my time anymore when I see certain names on the scoreboard.
    While I agree that someone's word doesnt countfor a whole lot when itcontradicts evidence, i'd like to point out that goes both way and the fact that there's a "volume of scores that most people believe are crap" doest not mean they should all go. We cant do stuff based on what people believe, whether the belief is the score is false or real, it has to based on evidence. Someone's word it was good isnt evidence. Someone's belief its false isnt evidence. I do believe Ron is a cheater and his scores should go, I just want to make sure they're removed for the right reason, I'd hate for him to be able to turn around say "they were just removed on a belief". Lets make sure they're removed because they're fake, not believed fake, truly fake, and whoever verified them will be known for stamping fake scores.
    Mr. Do's Castle champ
    Lode Runner champ
    Other kid's games champ

    Adult Games: Street Fighter champ
    Thanks Dave Hawksett thanked this post
    Likes Marcade liked this post
  9. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 2,348
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    910
    Thanks (Received)
    571
    Likes (Received)
    1262
    Blog Entries
    58
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Follows
    28
    Following
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    While I agree that someone's word doesnt countfor a whole lot when itcontradicts evidence, i'd like to point out that goes both way and the fact that there's a "volume of scores that most people believe are crap" doest not mean they should all go. We cant do stuff based on what people believe, whether the belief is the score is false or real, it has to based on evidence. Someone's word it was good isnt evidence. Someone's belief its false isnt evidence. I do believe Ron is a cheater and his scores should go, I just want to make sure they're removed for the right reason, I'd hate for him to be able to turn around say "they were just removed on a belief". Lets make sure they're removed because they're fake, not believed fake, truly fake, and whoever verified them will be known for stamping fake scores.
    Ron's scores should be removed because of Ron's actions that hurt Twin galaxies, the gaming community, his family, and society at large. Belief should play no role. Just evidence of his damaging actions. The fact that Twin Galaxies continues to drag its feet on this issue and continues to honor Ron with a place on the scoreboard is shameful.
    Likes gstrain, datagod liked this post
  10. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 14,120
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,751
    Thanks (Received)
    2056
    Likes (Received)
    3706
    Blog Entries
    52
    Live Streaming Channel(s)
    View Channel: marcamy_1029
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    28 Thread(s)
    Follows
    49
    Following
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcade View Post

    A rare "re-quote" by I, Marcade. In case it got lost in this thread...
    OH, look at that!!! :P
    Thanks DadsGlasses thanked this post
    Likes Intellivision Master liked this post
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Join us