Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Request For Consideration - Unify Arcade and M.A.M.E

I don't know if this topic has been discussed before and if it has I apologize in advance.
    English is not my native tongue so please bear with me
    I think Twin Galaxies needs to unify the Arcade and the M.A.M.E's leaderboards and records.
    Why do we need two separate leaderboards,after all it's the same game exactly ! In order to create ROMs for M.A.M.E, the original arcade machine's ROMs go through a process called "dumping" in which they're converted into M.A.M.E ROMs that can be played on a personal computer.
    In my humble opinion only then People would really know what is the actual undisputed record of a certain game.
    What difference does it make if it is played in the arcade hall or in a private home on a PC?
    Arcade purists will probably say that a real champion should produce results in the arcade hall in front of an audience, but let's not forget that many arcade champions have their own personal arcade cabinet in their private house (Missile command and Donkey Kong champions to name a few) so we see it does not really matter WHERE you play but rather WHAT you play - And we already said it was the same game !
    Those arcade purists will probably also say that the game controls are different from what you'll use at home but I say that you can use any game controls that you feel comfortable with (They don't make athletes wear the same shoes,Do they? so why make gamers use the same gear ?..) as long as it's legit and does not give you any super powers , to make it short - it should be PLAYER'S CHOICE !

And another thing .. If I wanted to break an arcade record, I would not be able to ,because there is no old school arcade in my country since the mid-eighties !!
    BUT everyone in the world can play through MAME !
    Only a handful of people in the world have access to Arcade halls, but 8 billion people have access to MAME ! and that is competition for you !

Yes,I know that there are some games in which the emulation is not true to the original (THE END for an example) so those few should be left separated until a proper ROM is released.
    For each game there should be a team of experts and champions to determine whether the ROM is reliable and true to the original Arcade version.
    Well this is it..I've had my say . any thoughts ?
    Cheers
    Thanks TWIN GALAXIES thanked this post
    Likes HAN liked this post
  2. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,574
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Hi:

This discussion has taken place many a time on the forum, and in the past the general consensus was to keep the two separated for a number of reasons, with some of those reasons being more global in nature while others were specific down to the title.

Searching for the old discussions and posting the links here would be optimal assuming some have been preserved in the archived section.
    Thanks TWIN GALAXIES thanked this post
Join us