Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    47 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Lexmarks bonus life explanation thread

I've started this thread for those players that haven't played/submitted scores as per the stated rules.

Specifically, but not exclusive, does bonus life setting effect result.

For example...does a 7K setting make any difference to an outcome(score) than a 10K setting?

Thanks for those that present their mathematical findings here!

I'm looking forward to seeing some Crazy Kong or Super Galaxian mathematics/proof of assumptions !

john

2. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,568
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lexmark View Post
    I've started this thread for those players that haven't played/submitted scores as per the stated rules.

Specifically, but not exclusive, does bonus life setting effect result.

For example...does a 7K setting make any difference to an outcome(score) than a 10K setting?

Thanks for those that present their mathematical findings here!

I'm looking forward to seeing some Crazy Kong or Super Galaxian mathematics/proof of assumptions !

RTM REPLY - John, why don't you also include within your post the context within which, and the reason, why you are making this inquiry ?

I accidentally submitted a score on a point-based title ("Super Galaxian") on MAME playing with the only extra life set to 4K versus 7K. Within that game I achieved 27K on my 1st ship, thereby making the threshold of the 1st life moot. The outcome of THAT performance would have been the same.

"Mathematically" speaking, had my 1st ship performance been anywhere from zero to 3,990 points then this would have been a non-issue and the performance nullified. Had I scored between 4,000 and 6,990 points it would have been questionable because even though on a 2nd ship the score could have been taken past 7K that still meant the possibility of dying twice thus never reaching that point. So the only scenario moot is when 7K or more is achieved 1st ship. I nearly scored 4x that.

"Mathematically" speaking out of my 50,400 points there are 5,040 units of increments of 10 points possible excluding scores of just 10 and 20 points which are not, so 5,020 possibilities...OF WHICH 698 of them (700 from 0-6990 less the 2) are problematic...so in THIS performance 698/5020 = 13.9% of performances thru 50,500 would be mathematically insufficient to make the point moot.

As the score approaches the 100K mark, should anyone ever reach that high, the percentage of performances rendering the issue moot becomes far less approaching 7% (698/9/998 or approx 700/10,000) and until a 700K performance is achieved no percentage will ever be less than 1% in terms of impact.

Unless the game program itself factors in scores as difficulty/performance continues, the issue is moot. A mistake was made yes, but the reality is that the impact in the scenario I outlined is moot. You are trying to adhere to the letter of the rules, not the spirit of the rules.
    Likes redelf, datagod liked this post
  3. VERIFIED VERIFIED Credibility: 10,320
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I wonder if someone in the community that knows how to modify an inp can go into Roberts inp and change the value of that dip so that it says 7k and then play it back. I would bet that nothing changes in the gameplay, the inp will play back perfect. And while they are at it they can also do that to any crazykong inp and change that value to a higher or lower value and I bet again that the inp will play back perfectly. Would this satisfy your thinking and stance on these issues John.
    Likes Barra, Fly liked this post
  4. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,568
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    John...I'll reiterate what I stated in the "Super Galaxian" submission thread.

My arcade WR on "Scramble" of 1.135M set liev at ACAM back in 2001/2002...

TG settings for the title are 5 ships to start...I only started with 3.

Would you have accepted or rejected my score ?

FYI...Walter personally verified it.
    Likes datagod liked this post
  5. VERIFIED FORUM RESTRICTED Credibility: 26,767
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    71 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    To RTM Robert & Twin Galaxy Members

#1 How Hard is it Just to Add to the Current MAME Super Galaxian Rule to Allow Any Bonus 4,000, 5,000 & 7,000 Can Be Selected
    Therefore Solving the Problem and No Confusion On Future Video Game Submission for MAME Super Galaxian.

1. Why is it So hard to Ask Jace Hall Twin Galaxy Owner who Will Easily Say Yes and Agree to Adding it the Current MAME Super Galaxian Rule what is the problem what is the Issue?

Questions & Answer

1.Does Have Effect on the Game Play? Answer No

2. Does it Give you a Advantage while Playing? Answer No

3. Does it Say it Say in the MAME Super Galaxian Twin Galaxy Rule Bonus Life 7,000 or 4,000 Yes or No? Answer Yes for 7,000 No for 4,000

Based on the Twin Galaxy Rules Below in Black & White I JJT Johnny am Total Right when you Go by Twin Galaxy Rule Period their is No Debate Period Case Closed.

On a Personal Note to All Twin Galaxy Members I do not Like the Rule.

To RTM Robert & Twin Galaxy Members
    1. How Hard is it Just to Add to the Current MAME Super Galaxian Rule to Allow Any Bonus 4,000, 5,000 & 7,000 Can Be Selected
    Therefore Solving the Problem On Future Video Game Submission for MAME Super Galaxian.

That Being Said I JJT Johnny Would Vote Yes Accepted

Robert You are Legendary Twin Galaxy Member and Former Chief of Referee's
    RTM Robert you Earned that Score of 50,400 on the Hard Super Galaxian Game

Congratulations Robert

Rules ROMSet: SuperG
    Cabinet: Upright
    Service Mode: Off
    Bonus Life: 7000
    Lives: 3
    Unused: Off
    Special Rules: There is a banned tactic achieved by Leaving a small, consolidated block of enemies remaining and one (1) command ship, and let enemy after enemy pass and not fire except for when the squadron comes down, shooting the Red flagships ONLY.
    Special Notes: This is a TG-accepted hack of Galaxian.

Game Information
    https://www.arcade-museum.com/manual...G/Galaxian.pdf

6. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,568
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Truth be told, Juan, as a former referee that's a course of action I would not want to take as it speaks to revisionism.

My stance is that a common sense approach applied on a case-by-case basis when the nuances are less than nominal is the way to go, otherwise things become too puritanical, rigid and inflexible.

Best analogy is this...baseball.

A player comes up to bat. The pitcher throws the pitch. The player swings...it's a home run.

The player used the proper length/weight bat conforming to all minimal requirements, stayed within the batting area and executed a proper swing. The pitcher used an official MLB ball (but NOT one from the 2017 world series), stood at the official distance from the player, the "mound" was at the right height, and he did not balk the pitch.

Now comes to light the fact that the player FORGOT to wear their team cap...they accidentally went to bat wearing a john Deere cap instead that they were using in the dugout because it was better at blocking the sunlight than the team cap.

Do you suddenly discount the home run because the team cap was not what they were supposed to be wearing ?
  7. VERIFIED FORUM RESTRICTED Credibility: 26,767
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    71 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Trying to Help
    Interesting Analogy Fallacy & None Fallacy

Robert you know that Jace Hall if you ask Him he would in Fact Add
    to the Current MAME Super Galaxian Rule to Allow Any Bonus 4,000, 5,000 & 7,000.

Therefore Solving the Problem and No Confusion On Future Video Game Submission for MAME Super Galaxian. And May do this other Similar Video Game Tracks that have the Same Issues their be NO Debates or Problems on it

1. Robert Are you Against Adding it to the Twin Galaxy MAME Super Galaxian?
    2. What Harm would it do to Add it?
    3.Robert why is it so Hard for you to Accept?

I Totally Agree & Understand your Point Robert and other Twin Galaxy Members as I said before in my other Reply

1.Does it Have Effect on the Game Play? Answer No

2. Does it Give you a Advantage while Playing? Answer No

3. Does it Say it in the MAME Super Galaxian Twin Galaxy Rules Bonus Life 7,000 or 4,000 Yes or No? Answer Yes for 7,000 No for 4,000

Based on the Twin Galaxy Rules Below in Black & White I JJT Johnny am Total Right when you Go by Twin Galaxy Rule Period their is No Debate Period Case Closed.

On a Personal Note to All Twin Galaxy Members I do not Like the Rule. You get Only 4 Ships Totally No Matter and you Robert Scored 27,000 without Losing a Ship

That Being Said I JJT Johnny Would Vote Yes Accepted

Robert You are Legendary Twin Galaxy Member and Former Chief of Referee's
    RTM Robert you Earned that Score of 50,400 on the Hard Super Galaxian Game

Congratulations Robert Again

8. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 3,325
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    49 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following

Allow me to present my proof

I have analyzed the source code for well over 50 games to see if the extra lives dip switch setting had ANY affect on gameplay. It does not.

Here is further mathematical proof:

Name:  MeowMixPacketStore.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  316.2 KB
    "May the Heavy Hand spare you" -- Datagod 1:19
    ~~ Strongest Punch on Twin Galaxies ~~

Thanks jjt_defender thanked this post
    Likes jjt_defender, cuda liked this post
  9. VERIFIED Legendary Member Credibility: 2,568
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jjt_defender View Post
    Robert you know that Jace Hall if you ask Him he would in Fact Add to the Current MAME Super Galaxian Rule to Allow Any Bonus 4,000, 5,000 & 7,000

RTM REPLY - Hi Juan. Actually I'd prefer not to ask him to do so...it would set a bad precedent.

As a matter of fact, I am likely the one who set the original rules up in the database, so double-dumba__ on me for not checking before I played the game. I had practiced on the title on and off for weeks and just took it for granted that I had the settings correct when I happened to crank out the 50K. Thankfully some insight has now shown that this had zero impact on the outcome of the performance else I would willingly rescind my own submission.
    Likes datagod, bensweeneyonbass liked this post
  10. VERIFIED Senior Member Credibility: 23,017
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    47 Thread(s)
    Follows
    Following
    I asked for mathematical proof not mathematical theory and possibilities, as yous have presented.

Let me say it again....the only way to to be 100% certain that "it doesn't make a difference" is to play the game at the highest possible level on both settings many hundreds or even thousands of times. Given that none of you have done that, how can you claim "no difference"?

The easiest way out of this problem is that everyone plays by the same rules. That's it. No problem.

Let me be more clear...I'm totally rejecting the notion that it's OK for someone to pass adjudication with a ZK submission that doesn't follow the written settings. Regardless of the fact that you THINK it "makes no difference"!

I'm more than happy to be sympathetic to a submission that might have suffered an unfortunate circumstance that likely didn't alter the result. Your not getting the settings right is NOT an unfortunate circumstance.

john

Likes John73 liked this post
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Join us